Night Walk Home

Night Walk Home

A Story by yui
"

My car was broken ;-;

"

I walked.


My partners house is just a few blocks down the hill and around the corner,

I had work the next morning and no car at the time so I walked myself home.


The night has a certain magic to it, although partly creepy.

The park down the block is shadowed and eerie, and housing bats and possums who peer down at you and rustle the leaves. Nobody else ever visits even in daylight.

The air is cool and filled with cricket sounds, the road is wide and quiet, streetlights light the asphalt in patches, glistening.

And higher up the hill, the climb gets steeper and the streetlights end.

Its dark, pitch dark, and my phones flash offers a few feet of vision.

The air reeks of the dead animal on the corner of the lookout park, across the street from that is home.


The porch light is on as it usually is when one of our housemates is out, but expected home, and it shines like a beacon.


© 2019 yui


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Through your vivid descriptions, the mood is set, and I easily followed along on your trek. It was just normal-spooky until the dead animal was mentioned. Good, effective writing.

Posted 4 Years Ago


yui

4 Years Ago

Thank you 🙏
I'm a night person and often go out to walk in our yard. It's very large and in the country. There are very few streetlights out this way so, it gets very dark, so dark you can count the stars. We have only a few trees in our yard but the property is surrounded by forest. When the moon is full, it's like a spotlight and lights up the yard so bright that everything shadows. My favorite time is when there's a storm coming and the lightning precedes it. I love watching it branch out across the sky. The air can smell sweet, like after a rain, or it can smell foul, like when a deer or wild turkey dies in the woods close by. It can be creepy on cloudy nights when it's pitch black dark and wild animal sounds come from the woods or it can beautiful, like on clear, bright moon nights. I loved your poem.

Posted 4 Years Ago


yui

4 Years Ago

I like to think our area is a lot wilder than it, is living near the woods sounds great

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 29, 2019
Last Updated on September 29, 2019

Author

yui
yui

Australia



About
Live on the outskirts of town Live for adventure and warm drinks and deep thoughts and art more..

Writing
Food test Food test

A Chapter by yui


Survival tips Survival tips

A Book by yui


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by yui