Journal Entry December 18th 2012 #5

Journal Entry December 18th 2012 #5

A Story by Zac Aurory
"

INSIDE THE MINDS OF THOSE THAT SAW THE END COMING

"
Journal Entry December 18th 2012

It’s easy to see where the world went wrong. Where once we were a thriving world, we are now but a few helpless folk, waiting to die. I remember this one underpass, a concrete maze for mechanical beasts to climb their way through the bustle of confusion to arise into the shadows of giants and zoom through a city of smog and hate. I used to hate that underpass, that city. Ever day I would cross beneath the roar of the beasts as they sped to meaningless tasks, all while I myself, scurried underneath their tracks on my own meaningless tasks.

Now the world is about to end and all the motorised vehicles have been put to rest. Rains have come and cleared the smog and the underpass is forgotten by most. Silence now rules where chaos reigned and for those that remember, it is clear to see the difference. So full of life we once were, moving about like a colony of ants, we spread as far as our reach would go. But now we are but scavengers, not even a chaotic mess of a frantic anthill after being kicked, not even a hopeful band of brothers making the most of a hollowed out world.

It’s easy to see where we went wrong. We lost our drive, our focus. Our eyes were opened to our own mortality and suddenly the present became more important then the future. For 20 years I have lived like them, wondering hopelessly, with no purpose or aim, now with only 3 days remaining I see clearly where we went wrong. Beneath that underpass, where I used to roam, beneath the giants that sheltered us. That is where we all ran to, that is where we all live now, too afraid to see the light or hope for a hopeless future.

But who can blame them with only 3 days to live. No one wants to be reminded of the world they left behind, of the mistakes they made or the future they could have had. No one wants to dwell on their past lives, of a life they lost through no fault of their own.

It is hard to watch sometimes, to know it would have been better for the world to be kept in the dark, for the world to have just ended instead of this torturous waiting. I understand why we were told though, no one could have kept this from us, the signs were too clear. Besides, they wanted our help. They wanted us to find a solution to stopping it.

That is were the world went wrong, those few who ran our hives, they put their hope in us and instead we turned on them with our own fears and pride. We tore down their castles, their empires built on pledges and elegances. Now, just like that underpass, all full of purpose and hope, the world is empty, cold and alone.

© 2014 Zac Aurory


Author's Note

Zac Aurory
My latest worked received the most attention I've had on my blog so far. What do you all think of it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats


Author

Zac Aurory
Zac Aurory

Melbourne, VIC, Australia



About
I'm an inspiring writer, who writes to escape to a world everything is possible. more..

Writing