Beyond Rivalry

Beyond Rivalry

A Story by Zara Monzel

Valerie rushed across campus, her arms full of books as she tried to get to her next class on time. Dodging groups of students along the hallway, her foot caught on uneven pavement. Books flew as she crashed down with an "oof”.

“Need a hand?” came a familiar voice. She looked up to see Jason standing above her, arm outstretched in an offer of help. With a scowl, she ignored his hand and began gathering her scattered notes and textbooks. 

Jason and Valerie had a long history of competition that stretched back to their days as rivals on the debate team in high school. Where Valerie was studious and meticulous in her preparation, Jason relied more on charm and quick wit. More often than not, Jason’s gambles paid off, earning him wins over Valerie in several occasions.

Their rivalry only grew stronger once they both ended up in the same university. It seemed their classes were constantly pitting them against each other, whether for top grades on essays or leading opposing sides of mock trials. Neither was willing to give an inch to the other.

As Valerie stuffed her notes back into her overflowing bag, Jason crouched down to help. “Let me carry some,” he offered. “Don’t want you taking another spill so close to exams.”

Valerie glanced up at him, frustration and reluctance clear on her face. But with a heavy load herself, she knew refusing his help meant being late. “Fine,” she relented curtly, “but I expect them back unscathed at the end of class.” 

She handed him half of her books without further complaint and they walked in tense silence toward their shared lecture. While grateful for the help carrying her books, she remained wary of his intentions. Four years of cutthroat competition had taught her not to let down her guard, even for a moment.

As they entered the lecture hall, Jason returned the stack of books to Valerie. "Try not to trip over your own two feet next time," he said with a grin.

Valerie frowned. "Just stay out of my way," she shot back, brushing past him to find her seat. She could feel Jason's eyes on her as she went, his smug smile undoubtedly still in place. The game was far from over as long as they were classmates, and Valerie was determined not to lose the upper hand.

In the weeks following, Valerie kept her head down and focused on her assignments. At the library one evening, she happened to glance up and notice Jason sitting at a nearby table, books and papers spread out in his usual unorganised fashion. Their eyes met briefly before Valerie gave him a weary nod of acknowledgment and returned to her work.

To her surprise, Jason soon came over with a fresh cup of coffee. "Looked like you could use a pick-me-up. Mind if I join for a bit?" he asked. 

Valerie regarded him carefully but saw only friendly sincerity in his expression. She was loath to admit it, but company did sound nicer than solitude for once. With a small nod, she granted permission.

Before long, Valerie found herself seconds away from tearing her hair out over her half-written paper and Jason noticed her distress. "My place is just down the block if you need a fresher workspace," he offered. "No distractions, I promise."

Weighing her exhaustion and the promise of a productive workspace, Valerie decided taking a risk might pay off. 

The short walk to Jason's place passed in companionable silence, each lost in thought. As they climbed the stairs and Jason unlocked his door, Valerie took in subtle hints of Jason beyond rivalry - photos of loving family, stacks of worn books. Surprisingly, his flat was very well tidied.

"Make yourself at home," Jason invited. Framed degrees and awards spoke of his strong determination to achieve, yet walls displayed posters reflecting deeper passions.

Valerie set up her notes and laptop at the large glass-top table. She realised this was the most space she'd had to work in weeks. But soon her concentration broke - stomach rumbling loudly at the scent of…pasta? 

She turned to find Jason pottering about the kitchen. Pots simmered on the gas stove while herbs and vegetables awaited knife-work on the pristine marble island counter. Shelves held an organised array of spices, oils and equipment. She hadn’t noticed the kitchen when she came in. The way he hummed softly as he cooked seemed so...normal.

“You cook?” Valerie asked curiously. Jason was full of surprises it seemed.

Jason glanced back with an easy grin. "What do you think this kitchen's for? Decoration?"

Valerie blushed, caught off guard. “I didn't realise..."

"No point in takeout when home cooking is healthier and I enjoy cooking,” Jason replied as he placed a plate of chicken pasta in front of her. "Have a taste first. You look exhausted."

The smell of the food lifted her fatigue. Valerie accepted, touched by his thoughtfulness. Over dinner, easy conversation flowed as old biases fell away. Where once she saw arrogance, Valerie now glimpsed a thoughtful humour and sincere passion beyond self-interest.

By the time they finished dinner, night had fallen. A calm quiet had settled over the city as Jason brewed a pot of coffee on the stove.

"Want to talk more outside?" he offered. Valerie nodded, curious to see the view of the twilight skyline from his balcony.

With steaming mugs in hand, the pair retreated to the balcony to unwind further under the soft glow of string lights. As they conversed through the evening, Valerie felt the stress of deadlines lift completely from her shoulders. She felt at ease to open up like never before.

Jason listened with empathy, sharing his own story of persevering through loss to become a role model for his younger siblings. Valerie began to see not a rival but an empathetic soul with deep care for others.

Hours had slipped by unnoticed. Reluctant to leave such rare intellectual harmony, Valerie lingered longer, questions turning from academic to personal. Tucked among throw pillows on the rug, conversation deepened into dreams of making a change in the world. 

As midnight peeked in, the long night of lively discussion had taken its natural toll. Valerie found her eyelids growing heavy, lulled by the fire's warmth and calm of Jason's voice. Before she knew it, consciousness slipped away as her head rested comfortably on his shoulder. Jason soon noticed her breaths had deepened and evened out in peaceful slumber.

Dawn's rosy light filtered into the apartment as Valerie stirred from a deep slumber. As consciousness slowly returned, she realised her cheek laid against a warm surface rising and falling in a steady rhythm.

Blinking awake, Valerie slowly lifted her head and was stunned to find her impromptu pillow had in fact been Jason's shoulder. She must have drifted off there as their discussion ran late into the night.

A flush crept over Valerie's cheeks at the intimate position she'd unwittingly assumed. Her eyes flitted up to meet Jason's, afraid of what she might see - annoyance, discomfort, impatience to be rid of her intrusion.

But Jason merely smiled, an expression so tender it somehow soothed Valerie's embarrassment. "Good morning. I hope you slept well," he said softly.

Too mortified to speak, Valerie could only nod. Yet as Jason casually offered breakfast to start the day afresh, she sensed no judgement in him - only care that she feel at ease.

The following week, Valerie strode across campus, mentally preparing for an ethics debate. Spotting Jason ahead, that familiar spark flared anew - a desire, not for closeness, but to best him in intellect once more. She quickened her pace.

“Review the Marx case, Jason. Wouldn’t want your argument to become predictable.”

He turned, grin widening as if waiting for her challenge. Their eyes met and Valerie found herself caught in the deep blue of Jason's gaze.

"Marx, is it? Trying to stack the deck with your area of expertise, I see,” Jason replied teasingly. "Lucky for you, I'm always eager to dive into critical theory. Lead the way and enlighten me, oh wise one."

Valerie felt a smile tug at her lips in response to his good-natured jesting. It seemed their familiar competitive spirit remained, but the accompanying edge had dulled into something...warm, almost playful.

Their discussion wound its way from Marxian analysis to more personal matters. As they talked, she found her eyes drawn again and again to Jason's passionate expressions, the languid curves of his lips and hands gesturing. Valerie was surprised to find how much she enjoyed getting to know this side of Jason. 

When their hands brushed reaching for the same book, she felt a sudden jolt, a fluttering pulse of energy that made her breath catch. Their gazes locked and she saw the tenderness in Jason's gaze mingled with amusement at her blush. All thoughts of the texts fell away, leaving a profound stillness where unspoken questions lingered in the air. Was it her imagination, or had the space between them grown charged?

“I was wondering…there's this new art exhibition opening downtown this weekend. Would you care to join me?” His hand rose shyly to rub the back of his neck, such a hearteningly boyish gesture that Valerie thought was only done in movies. 

Unable to resist teasing this rare moment of exposed sentiment within him, she grinned, “Are you asking me out on a date, Jason?”

Jason met her teasing with a smile, a becoming pink still colouring his cheeks. "Yeah, I guess I am. I was thinking dinner after, if you're free."

Valerie was caught off guard by Jason's vulnerable boldness. It was unexpectedly endearing coming from her usually composed rival. 

Four years of competition between them since high school. While she spent evenings researching all sides of an issue, making sure she matches his vigour argument for argument, Jason always seemed to skate in moments before their matches and still snatch victory from her. It was a dance they knew well, one fuelling underlying feelings she refused to acknowledge. It frustrated yet impressed Valerie to no end. Beneath the surface irritation, an undeniable spark had ignited between them from their first clash.

Until now, with his coy yet meaningful question lingering open in the air. All at once, Valerie realised how far they'd come. She thought about how taking this new path with Jason meant venturing into unknown territory. While the future was unclear, in these couple of weeks, Jason had helped make her feel like taking that step wasn't something to fear. 

“The exhibition and dinner sounds nice," she replied. "I'd like that."

Jason let out a quiet, relieved laugh at Valerie's acceptance. Beneath his usual confidence, he'd felt nervousness like never before in putting himself out there.

Valerie had always been the one to keep him on his toes through their debates, approaching each topic with unmatched dedication and rigour. Charm and improvisation could only get him so far against her strategic questioning.

Secretly, it was what he admired most about her - the way she challenged him to constantly raise his own standards as well. Over the years, their clashes had stirred in him not just sparks of debate, but something more intimate he'd shoved down, fearing it would make him vulnerable.

"I'm looking forward to it,” he said with a grateful smile. 

Valerie felt a blush rise to her cheeks in response. Though they had reached new understanding, old habits died hard. She couldn't resist the opportunity to regain footing with a witty retort.

"Getting sentimental now, are we?" she teased, raising a brow in challenge.

Jason let out a short laugh, rising readily to her bait. "Wouldn't want you to think I've gone soft.” He leaned back, adopting an air of casual smugness. "Just you wait until the weekend - I’ll have you singing a different tune by the time I've dazzled you with my artistic expertise."

"We'll see about that.” Valerie's eyes gleamed.

© 2024 Zara Monzel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on May 5, 2024
Last Updated on May 10, 2024
Tags: romance, rivals to lovers, flash fiction, microfiction, young adult, new adult, fiction

Author

Zara Monzel
Zara Monzel

About
Law student with a passion for writing and editing. Support me on my writing journey by interacting with my other writing platforms! I also offer ghostwriting and editing services. linktr.ee/za.. more..

Writing
Cats Cats

A Story by Zara Monzel