Blizzard of Desire

Blizzard of Desire

A Story by Zara Monzel
"

A blizzard unexpectedly strands corporate executive Lucian Clark and his personal assistant Ruth Woodward in their office overnight.

"

The howling winds of the blizzard rattled the towering windows of Lucian Clark's corner office, casting an eerie glow over the stacks of reports and spreadsheets scattered across his desk. He sat hunched over his laptop, his brows furrowed in concentration as he worked tirelessly to wrap up the last of the end-of-quarter financials. Beside him, his personal assistant, Ruth Woodward, with her auburn hair neatly pinned back, typed furiously, her fingers dancing across the keyboard with practiced precision. 

Outside, snow whipped violently against the glass. Lucian glanced up, his icy blue eyes narrowing as he surveyed the deteriorating conditions. "Ruth, what's the latest update on the forecast?"

Ruth's eyes flickered with concern as she scanned the weather update on her screen. "The storm is only getting worse, looks like white-out conditions and potential power losses throughout the night."

Lucian exhaled slowly. "Looks like we may be stuck here for a while."

His words hung heavy in the air, the implication of their situation setting in. Trapped alone in the office, with no way to leave until the storm passed. Lucian felt unease creep down his spine, and his usual stoic demeanour was betrayed by the subtle clench of his jaw.

Ruth, sensing his discomfort, straightened in her chair. "I'll see if I can find some supplies we can use. We'll need a way to stay warm and dry at least."

Lucian nodded, his gaze returning to the computer screen, though his mind wandered elsewhere, already weighing the challenges they'd face in the coming hours.

Just as Ruth began rummaging through the cabinets, a sudden crack of thunder made them both jump. The lights flickered and died, plunging the office into complete darkness.

"What the-" Lucian's voice was sharp with frustration as he fumbled for his phone, the glow of the screen shining a sickly light across his face.

Ruth's own phone quickly joined his with a faint, unsteady glow. "Looks like the power's gone out," she murmured, peering about.

Lucian tenses, his free hand gripping the edge of his desk. "Wonderful. Just what we needed."

The sarcasm in his tone pricked a twinge of annoyance in Ruth. "Well, we'll have to make the best of it. I'll see if I can find some emergency supplies in the break room."

She moved to stand, but Lucian's voice stopped her. "No. We stay put. It's too dangerous to be wandering around in the dark."

Ruth hesitated, then reluctantly settled back into her chair. "Alright, then what do you suggest we do?"

Lucian considered their options. "We wait it out. There's no point in risking injury or getting lost in this mess."

Ruth nodded, though the concern in her eyes was evident. "I'll gather what we can here.”

As she began to move, Lucian's hand shot out, his fingers wrapping around her wrist before quickly letting go. “Be careful. It’s dangerous in the dark.”

Ruth blinked, momentarily taken aback by the unusual display of emotion from her boss. "Yes, sir. I’ll be careful.”

The only sound was the howling wind that continued to batter the windows. Ruth had scavenged what she could - a couple of blankets, some snacks, bottled water, and a portable charger for their phones. Lucian, for his part, had remained largely silent, his eyes scanning the dim outlines of the office.

As the night wore on, the chill in the air began to seep through their layers. Ruth shivered, her teeth chattering softly. Lucian noticed, and without a word, he walked over and draped one of the blankets around her shoulders.

Ruth’s eyes widened in surprise. Her gaze met his in the flickering light of their phones. "Thank you," she said, pulling the blanket tighter around herself.

Lucian nodded, his ice-blue eyes softening ever so slightly. "Can't have you freezing to death on me, can I?"

A small, tentative smile tugged at the corners of Ruth's lips. "I suppose not."

They settled back into an uneasy silence. As Lucian rose to return to his seat, his foot snagged an errant cord. With a sharp inhale, he braced himself for the impact. Ruth surged from her chair with hands outstretched to catch him. Lucian staggered, gripping her steadying frame as surprise flickered in his ice blue eyes meeting emerald.

"Careful," she said, her voice low and soothing.

Lucian felt a strange spark from her touch. Caught off guard, he found himself at a loss for words. "I...I'm fine." He cleared his throat. “Thanks.”

Ruth's fingers lingered on his arm. "Your eyes must be having trouble adjusting to the dark. Let me help you."

Lucian tensed, his natural instinct to resist any offer of assistance. But as Ruth's gentle gaze met his, he found himself reluctantly nodding.

"Alright," he conceded, his voice barely above a whisper.

Carefully, Ruth guided him to a chair, her movements sure and steady. As they settled back into their makeshift camp, Lucian found his gaze drawn to Ruth's face, the flickering light casting soft shadows across her features. He watched as she chewed her lower lip in concentration, her brows furrowed as she contemplated their situation.

Suddenly, she let out a small, unexpected laugh, the sound startling Lucian.

"What's so funny?” he asked curiously.

Ruth smiled sheepishly. "It's just... I never thought I'd be trapped in the office with you, of all people, during a blizzard." She shook her head, a strand of auburn hair falling across her face. "It's almost comical, in a way."

Lucian felt the corners of his mouth twitch, a hint of amusement playing across his features. "I suppose you're right. Though I must admit, I'm glad it’s you I’m stranded with.”

The admission hung in the air and Ruth's eyes widened slightly at his words. 

Lucian quickly looked away. “Let me get us some water,” he said to ease the tension.

But as he stood up and attempted to make a turn to the small table where they had placed the water bottles, Lucian stumbled once more. In a moment of pure reflex, Ruth reached out, her fingers curling around his arm at an attempt to steady him like she did earlier. But this time, she couldn’t support his full weight, and he ended up landing squarely on top of her. The two found themselves entangled, their faces mere inches apart. For a long, breathless moment, they simply stared at each other, their hearts pounding in their chests.

Lucian gazed down at Ruth, his ice-blue eyes widening with a mix of surprise and something else - a flickering vulnerability that he seldom allowed anyone to see. Ruth's emerald eyes were wide, her lips parted slightly as she struggled to catch her breath, the warmth of his body pressed against hers stirring a fluttering sensation in the pit of her stomach.

Slowly, Lucian lifted himself off of her, his movements deliberate and careful, eyes never leaving Ruth’s. "Are you alright?" he murmured, his voice rough.

Ruth nodded, her tongue darting out to wet her suddenly dry lips. "I'm fine," she breathed, her eyes searching his face. "And you?"

Lucian cleared his throat, his expression unreadable. "Yes, I..." He trailed off, his eyes flickering down to her lips.

Ruth's lips curled into a soft, amused smile, her green eyes gleaming. “Are you perhaps… Clumsy, Mr. Clark?” She reached out to steady herself, her fingers brushing against his arm. 

The touch sent a jolt of electricity through them both, and for a heartbeat, they stood frozen, acutely aware of the intimacy of the moment and Lucian found himself leaning in, drawn to the magnetic pull of Ruth’s presence.

His gaze flickered between Ruth's eyes and her lips, his expression a warring mix of longing and apprehension. Slowly, almost involuntarily, he lifted his hand, his fingers tracing the delicate curve of her cheek. Ruth's breath caught in her throat at the tender gesture, her eyes fluttering closed as she instinctively leaned into his touch.

The world around them seemed to fade away, leaving only the two of them suspended in a moment stopped in time. Lucian's heart pounded in his chest, the weight of their situation pressing down on him, even as the allure of Ruth's proximity threatened to overwhelm his senses.

Closing the distance between them, Lucian brushed his lips against hers, the kiss feather-light and hesitant, a silent question that begged for an answer. Ruth responded without hesitation, her hand coming up to tangle in the soft locks of his hair as she pulled him closer, deepening the kiss with a fervent intensity that left them both breathless.

When they finally parted, their foreheads resting together, Lucian let out a ragged sigh, his eyes still closed. 

"What have we done?" Ruth whispered, her voice trembling.

Lucian's eyes slowly opened, his icy gaze piercing through the darkness as he drank in the sight of her. "Ruth, I..." he faltered. All pretence of control slipped away, and he found himself utterly captivated by the woman before him.

Gently tucking an errant lock of hair behind her ear, Lucian cupped Ruth's face in his hands without a word. Ruth’s own hands slid up his chest, gripping the fabric of his shirt. The chill air gave way to warm breaths mingling, every brush of skin threatening to consume them both. 

Slowly, he dipped his head, his lips hovering just above Ruth's as they stood still, suspended in a moment that seemed to stretch on forever. Ruth's eyes fluttered closed, her heart pounding in anticipation.

Then, Lucian inched forward, and his lips met Ruth’s in a kiss so delicate, so light, it was as if he was afraid she might shatter beneath his touch. Ruth sighed into the kiss, her fingers trailing up to tangle in his hair to pull him closer.

The kiss deepened as they allowed their inhibitions to melt away. Lucian's hands slid down to her waist, drawing her body flush against his own as he savoured her soft curves. Ruth melted into his touch, her entire world reducing down to the taste of his lips on hers, the heat of his skin, the intoxicating scent of him.

Time ceased to exist as they lost themselves in the heady exploration of each other, every caress and whispered breath overwhelmed their every rational thought. Lucian's grip tightened, his desire to possess her, to claim her as his own, becoming increasingly apparent. 

Breathless and flushed as they parted, they stared at each other, the weight of their actions looming large between them. But in that moment, nothing else mattered but the taste of each other's lips and the promise of a future they had yet to fully comprehend.

The storm raged on outside, but within the confines of the office, Ruth and Lucian were lost in a world of their own.

© 2024 Zara Monzel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on May 7, 2024
Last Updated on May 10, 2024
Tags: romance, flash fiction, microfiction, young adult, new adult, fiction, boss and assistant, ceo and assistant, assistant, forbidden romance

Author

Zara Monzel
Zara Monzel

About
Law student with a passion for writing and editing. Support me on my writing journey by interacting with my other writing platforms! I also offer ghostwriting and editing services. linktr.ee/za.. more..

Writing
Cats Cats

A Story by Zara Monzel