The Endless Summer

The Endless Summer

A Story by Zugzwang

The Endless Summer

 

The sun had been bright all morning, but now it started to beat down with the savage intensity that you only get near the tropics. Maxine lay prone on her surfboard as the hot sun warmed her back, and relaxed into the gentle surge of the waves, allowing her arms and legs to trail languidly in the cool, green water. She could clearly see the sandy sea floor about four metres below her, see the odd fish dart or glide across her field of vision. She looked up to get her bearings and saw a ripple on the horizon. Straddling her surfboard, she sat up and brought her hand to her eyes, peering out to sea. A large wave powered toward her. “Great,” she thought “one last wave” She paddled out to meet it and, when she was in the sweet spot, turned around and waited for it to get close. As the wave neared, she paddled hard, straining against its pull and when she felt it kick up behind her, she stood up on her board in a single fluid movement and she was off, board slicing through the translucent sea. She rode that wave all the way into shore. Perfect. Today was going to be perfect.

            While she trudged up the beach with her surfboard wedged under her arm, her stomach grumbled and she mused about what she’d buy for lunch “Burritos or bust, baby.” she thought, smirking to herself. But when she fished around in her backpack, her purse wasn’t there. No burritos. She sighed and headed for the car. Hopefully she’d left her purse at home.

            Maxine drove home and parked the car on the street. She got out, squinting in the harsh sunlight, and walked up the path to the door, thongs slapping against her heels. At the door, she noticed that it was open a crack and her heart skipped a beat. Not good. She pushed the door halfway open and poked her head through, craning her neck to see inside.

“Hello, Maxine.” said a woman’s voice, and she started, banging her head on the door frame.

“S**t!” she said, rubbing her head and stepping inside, “Is that you, Joan? You scared the s**t out of me!”

“Surprised to see me?” Joan stood in the kitchen, arms crossed.

“You’re not supposed to be back ‘till tonight.”

“I came early.” Joan’s eyes glinted, hard as glass. Maxine squirmed inside. Something bad was going down.

“Yeah, well, I see that.” A dark expression came over Joan’s face and she looked Maxine in the eye.

“Are you sure you had nothing to do with this, Max?” Maxine felt the bottom of her gut drop out and her hands started to sweat.

“I don’t even know what’s happened! “She said. “I was at the beach ‘till ten minutes ago.”

“And you’ve touched nothing?”

“Not since I left, no.”

“But isn’t that your purse on the table?”

Maxine felt the blood drain from her face.  “I…I must have forgotten it.” Her voice was beginning to tremble, and Joan knew it. Her mouth turned upwards into a sneer and she looked down her nose at Maxine.

“So, nothing to eat, nothing to drink all morning, on such a hot day while surfing for hours and hours…”

Maxine stiffened. “Look, whatever you’ve got to say…”

“Yeah, I’ll say Maxine. You killed Shane. He’s in the bathroom. And the stash is gone. How much did you get for it?”

Joan reached behind her back and pulled out a gun, levelling it at Maxine’s chest. Maxine splayed her hands out in front of herself in mute appeal. It was supposed to be easy, she thought, Shane was supposed to hide the stash, make it look like they’d been robbed. Once the dust settled, they were going to leg it to Melbourne in Shane’s kombi, sell the gear and go off the grid on a surfing safari. Maybe the west coast, maybe Indonesia. It didn’t matter. They’d be together. That was all that mattered.

            But something had gone wrong. Shane was dead and Joan thought she’d done it. Joan the loose cannon. Joan the f*****g psycho. Maxine was crying now, fat, silent tears rolled down her face and her eyes pleaded at Joan. She took a step towards Maxine and she started to speak. “Listen, Joan, it wasn’t me…”

“Shhhh,” said Joan “Its ok. It’s going to be ok.”

Maxine heard a loud noise and suddenly she was on her back. Her chest was burning and she couldn’t breathe. Her eyes searched the room desperately and found Joan holding the smoking gun. She looked at her chest, and saw a flower of blood growing and spreading. Joan moved out of her vision and the world faded to black.

Maxine felt herself floating. She was on a surfboard, her limbs dangling into a smooth velvet sea. She felt a cool breeze blowing on her skin, but could hear no sound. Lifting her head, she could make out a grey sky and a dark shoreline, not too far off. Out to sea, she saw the horizon buckle, and knew that a wave was coming. Before too long, she picked it out, its looming bulk lumbering toward shore like a dark cetacean. When it neared, she paddled hard and caught it neatly. She surfed the powerful black wave all the way in to the shore. Stepping off the surfboard, she felt the black sand, gritty beneath her feet. The beach stretched infinitely to her left and to her right. Looking up, she saw a figure standing up among the dunes. It was Shane, his hair tousled by the inaudible wind. He was smiling, and in his hands he held the stash.

 

© 2016 Zugzwang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Good story. Can't help but assume Joan had a bigger hand in Shane's early end and that she waited for Maxine to get home to A.) ensure she knew Joan "won" and B.) had an easy scapegoat (seemed like she was practicing her story to tell the cops on Maxine before she killed her). But you know what they say about assuming! Your story says a lot even with its short length. It draws a reader in and holds them there. Especially from the point of Maxine's obviously mistaken summary of how her day is going to be "perfect." Very rich imagery as well. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

You have entered the silly zone. I know it well. I'm listening to Linkin Park atm...I like the angst.. read more
Gaia Octavia

8 Years Ago

Angst can be a particularly productive emotion when it comes to creativity ☺ I will let u enjoy ur.. read more
Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

Haha. Take it easy. Cya.



Reviews

Good story. Can't help but assume Joan had a bigger hand in Shane's early end and that she waited for Maxine to get home to A.) ensure she knew Joan "won" and B.) had an easy scapegoat (seemed like she was practicing her story to tell the cops on Maxine before she killed her). But you know what they say about assuming! Your story says a lot even with its short length. It draws a reader in and holds them there. Especially from the point of Maxine's obviously mistaken summary of how her day is going to be "perfect." Very rich imagery as well. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

You have entered the silly zone. I know it well. I'm listening to Linkin Park atm...I like the angst.. read more
Gaia Octavia

8 Years Ago

Angst can be a particularly productive emotion when it comes to creativity ☺ I will let u enjoy ur.. read more
Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

Haha. Take it easy. Cya.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
Interesting story that got me hooked. I like the way you mingle soft and bright images with a tad of unease and darkness.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

Yar, it's a good read. He reckons his muse is a cigar smoking slob.
V

8 Years Ago

Sounds interesting.
Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

Yar its pretty cool.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 22, 2016
Last Updated on April 22, 2016

Author

Zugzwang
Zugzwang

About
Take a trip down the rabbit hole... more..

Writing
Rain Rain

A Poem by Zugzwang