on your bike

on your bike

A Story by danny
"

pensive lonely

"
On your bike:::

I ring the doorbell and wait for the door to open. A woman opens the door and her eyes dance with anticipation at the sight of the letter addressed to her.

I smile.

Such little moments make my day.

As the door shuts on my face, I make my way down the stairs of the house. I wince as I discover a pain in my joints. After all, winter shows no mercy to people withered by age.

I tug at my torn sweater and adjust my monkey cap. Then, I ride my bicycle as fast as my joints allow me to, and look for the house whose address has been mentioned in my next letter.At the end of the day, I go to the only internet booth in our village.

The guy behind the counter ushers me to my seat and helps me open my email.

With trembling hands, I hit one key at a time. Slowly, I type out a letter; typing and erasing and hitting the keys with such concentration that sweat beads form on my forehead.

Then I call out to the guy to help me send the mail. Then, I pay him and leave.

That’s where my routine for the day ends and a feeling engulfs me.

I know this feeling all too well.

It’s the happy feeling of distributing letters the next day, and bringing smiles on the faces writ with anticipation, merged with the sad feeling of being the one who anticipates a single reply from his only son who lives in a different country.

The transformation from a man who spreads hope in the morning to a man who becomes an epitome of hopelessness in the evening creeps in so discreetly that by the time I realise it, I’ve already become a different person.

And as I ride my bicycle back to my home, the evening witnesses a familiar camaraderie between a postman and his solitude.

© 2018 danny


Author's Note

danny
enjoy

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a somber tale. I'm fortunate enough to still have the gift of youth, and I have the gift of optimism so I hope I don't end up living a sad life where I struggle to accomplish anything and feel fulfilled. This story is a good reminder of what life may hold in store and to appreciate our elders. Very powerful writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


danny

6 Years Ago

i thank you very much
A story of a man and the routine he maintains in order to feel relevant and useful. It's not a marathon or anything that will bring great notoriety, but it's what he does, and he does it with purpose and devotion. That is how I understand it, for it's similar to my own routine. Very well written, I followed with interest throughout.

Posted 6 Years Ago


danny

6 Years Ago

thank you very much
Great story, it unfolds with simple and honest emotion. You have showcased an everyday event and given it depth.
I loved it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


danny

6 Years Ago

wow thanks
the ups and downs of one day can exhaust those such as you man on the bike ...even his happiness is sad tho ...as he hopes for reactions of strangers to placate his missing son's interest in ol' dad ... its a different world isn't it ... i use to call or write my grandparents regularly .. its the way i grew up .. and never failed to call me Ma and Da to keep up ... i have 4 children and they are not like that... one either Tweets twitters or some other such nonsense or you just don't hear from them :( i made up my mind to squash me pride and call them ... its so much better than nothing ;)
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


danny

6 Years Ago

no mate your not old just vintage a classic
Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

ahahahaha yeah right! ;) nice to meet you by the way... i subscribed to your stuff and look forward .. read more
danny

6 Years Ago

cheers mate

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2018
Last Updated on March 8, 2018
Tags: afraid world

Author

danny
danny

sliema, st julians, Malta



About
pensive passive procrastinator more..

Writing
Vengeance Vengeance

A Story by danny


Shower Shower

A Story by danny



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Engagement The Engagement

A Story by Steve


Beautiful Sunset Beautiful Sunset

A Poem by TJ