Two

Two

A Chapter by LayersOfPetals

Three days.
That's what it took for me to be able to walked around Nick's apartment like a stiffed board. I gave him the best wavering smile I could manage today.
“So tell me,” Nick visibly cringed as he watched me having a hard time taking a seat across from him in his small kitchen table. He would have help me if I hadn't stop him. “Why is it that my parents haven't come looking for me yet? I'm surprise we are not dead.”
Nick is handsome, not like a model mind you, but attractive enough that he could make women's head turned to take a second look at him in interest. His hair blonde with piercing blue eyes. He doesn't seem faze by my statement. “We need to talk.”
“And what do you think we are doing right now?”
His lips twitched as if he was fighting the need to smile. Nick leaned back on his chair crossing his arms over his chest. “What if I tell you that in order to save your life and get you out of your house I had to buy you from your parents?”
Unperturbed I said. “I wouldn't be surprise if my parents sold me to anyone. What I'm wondering is what in the world were you doing with them in the first place.”
That was what really concern me. When he remained silent I prepared for the worse. “Did they sell me?”
He sighed. “Well not completely.”
“What do you mean by that? How can someone not get sold completely? It doesn't make any sense.”
“You know how much they wants us to get married right?”
“Yes.”
“I promise your father I would married you as soon as you got better but that I needed to keep an eye on you until then. Just to make sure my bride heal properly after their special treatment. He agreed but he is expecting us to tie the knot by the end of this month.”
“You did what!” I couldn't believe my ears. “I don't want to marry you. I love you. You're my friend but I don't see you that way. And I thought you understood that.” There was accusation in my voice. Hurt that he'd betrayed me like this.
Nick sighed rubbing the middle of his forehead. “I know, I know, trust me. I don't wish to marry you either. No offense.” He said looking up.
I grimaced. He continue. “I had no other choice. Your parents wouldn't let you out of their house otherwise. And I had to make sure they wouldn't inflict any more damage then they already had. I'm sorry. I couldn't come up with any other solution but telling them I would make you my wife.”
I sighed and flinched when the back of the chair made contact with my sore back. He noticed and was instantly worried. “Are you okay?”
I gave him a small smile. “I'm fine. I'm sorry I yell at you.”
He grinned. “Well it's not like it's the first time.”
We both laughed.
“I have a proposition for you though.”
I was actually curious to know what he had in mind. So I raised an eyebrow in question.
“I know you graduated with honors with an MBA.”
“Much good it did me.” I grumble. “But what does that have to do with this?”
“Well lucky for us my new employer is actually hiring and I thought maybe you would be interested. Thing is, she is only staying in America until her business matter gets concluded. But it can be a great way for you to start earning some money and for you to start saving.”
I furrowed my brows in thought. What he was saying made perfect sense to me and this could be the opportunity I've been waiting for my whole life. “What is the position she is looking for?”
He was suddenly uncomfortable. To the point where he couldn't even looked me in the eyes.
“What position is she looking for?” I repeated the question when he didn't answered the first time.
He cleared his throat. “Well like I was saying I know you have a masters degree in accounting but what my new employer is looking for is a nanny.”
“A nanny? She wants a babysitter?”
“Kind of.”
“How many kids does she have?”
He was acting funny again.
“Actually she wants a nanny for her dog.”
“A dog?” I couldn't have been any more surprise had he said he wanted me to walked around the room naked. My eyes bulged.
“Who wants a dog?“ Martha asked stepping into the room. “Breakfast anyone?”
She'd been taking care of my wounds ever since Nicholas had brought us to the hotel room he was currently staying in for the time being.
“You don't have to Ren.” Nick said sheepishly. “It was only a suggestion. But yes that's what you would be doing.”
“His employer wants a dogs sitter and Nick thinks I should go for it.” I told Martha who was already making breakfast.
When he saw me hesitate he added. “It's good pay and good hours. But she'll explain all of the terms and conditions when you meet her.”
“You've told her about me?”
“I only said I knew of someone who might be interested in the job.”
I gave him a warm smile.
“You should think about it Miss Barton. If your parents don't find us and kill us first.”
Nick and I exchange glances.
“Actually, Martha, about that…”
I explained what Nick had told me before and Martha listened aptly, nodding her head once in a while. She frowned. “Then what are you two going to do?”
“Well we're not getting married for sure.”
Nick chuckled. “Am I that ugly?”
“Of course not. So I think our only other option is to take the job.”
“Is that a yes then?” He asked eagerly. I couldn't help but smile.
“Hell yes.” I kissed his cheek with a grinned. Nick gave a grinned of his own. “I wouldn't want to disappoint you.”
Nicholas kissed my forehead in a brotherly affection. “A strong young woman such as yourself could never disappoint me.”


© 2014 LayersOfPetals


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on August 3, 2014
Last Updated on August 3, 2014


Author

LayersOfPetals
LayersOfPetals

Austin, TX



About
I enjoy writing as much as I can, where I can, my imagination and my mind are my two working magnets and a world of my own. I daydream more often than I live and crave to learn and share as much as I .. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by LayersOfPetals


Three Three

A Chapter by LayersOfPetals


Four Four

A Chapter by LayersOfPetals