Suicide

Suicide

A Story by zynaaa
"

A *very* short essay on suicide.

"
Suicide is an issue seen as controversial over widespread parts of the world. It is the tenth leading cause of death worldwide, and the number 1 leading cause of death for people aged 13-35. Self injury is an issue that often leads to suicide. In 2001, there were 400,000 visits to A&E in the USA alone. Suicide has been around longer than many people think. A Russian poet, Sergei Yesenin suffered a mental breakdown, which lead him to cutting his wrists, writing a suicide note in the blood and then hanging himself from the heating pipes in 1925. People have differentiated views and opinions on the subjects, but is it ever ok to harm or cause yourself fatality on purpose? 

For those suffering from chronic and mental disorders, suicide can be the way out that they will never get through living on. Mental illnesses are common in those with suicidal thoughts, and it is estimated that 5% of schizphrenia sufferers die of suicide. When issues such as bullying, debts and finance trouble and divorce arise, 15% of those people will become depressed, 27% of those will self-harm and a further 12% will gain the intention of suicide. The personal decision to commit suicide is a decision looked down upon by many people in society, but others follow the belief, and follow the idea of each individual's own decision of life or death. Greek historian, Herodotus, wrote "When life is so burdensome, death has become for man a sought-after refuge", and many people still follow his views. Many people argue that choice of suicide is a basic right, and if freedom is self-ownership, then the right to end life is the most basic right of all. Studies into the psychology of the human show that we are social creatures, and loneliness can trigger off depressed and suicidal thoughts, leading to premature death. Does this mean that in order to prevent suicide, we, as humans, need to help make sure people aren't suffering alone in a wistful, wretched and pessimistic world of their own?

The sadistic suicidal thoughts of those who commit suicide not only to harm themselves, but others around them, are placed in a controversy they cannot reverse. It can affect the minds of those around them, and have empowering effects on anyone. The aftermath of suicide usually involves crushed and spiralling emotions of family and friends of the victim, and their sad, melancholic and depressed moods can lead to them becoming depressed and going the same way. Many people are under the impression the media is to blame, and the story of 13 year old Hannah Bond, who comitted suicide after becoming obsessed with My Chemical Romance, goes to show that it can effect decision. When problems like depression come in, it is argued that these issues can be ameliorated via therapy and counselling, but even excessive therapy cannot eradicate mental ilnesses. Religion plays a part in many people's views on suicide, and many Christian's believe suicide is the root of all evil, and suicide is translated by Christians as uninterest in existence, and an affront to God. But with all this in mind, does it mean that suicide is limited to non-Christians only, or should some people go against their religious beliefs to cause a personal perishment?

Suicide is liberal, in my opinion. I believe it should be based upon the choices of the person considering it. With self harm, I personally believe that help is hard to find nowadays, and confidence issues have become so popular, therefore I can see why so many people are turning to self-injury. The excruciating torture, both mental and phsyical, that people go through shocks me, and makes me wish that people were more considerate. I can, however, see why people are against it. It leaves family and friends of the victim in despair, and mourning for months in the case of suicide, and may cause untrust between eachother with self-harm. When self-harm is for sadistic purposes, thus harming others mentally on purpose, I believe it is spiteful and wrong. I disagree with suicide being illegalised though, as I feel suicide should be up to the individual. Having experienced people around me considering suicide or self-harming, I know that change is visible once the depressed and harrowing thoughts begin. Support isn't provided enough for people who feel so downcast they turn to harming themselves, and in my eyes, I feel that if people were so against it, they would try and stop it. 

© 2011 zynaaa


Author's Note

zynaaa
Written as an essay for school about two years ago (2009)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on December 13, 2011
Last Updated on December 13, 2011

Author

zynaaa
zynaaa

Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Rain Rain

A Poem by zynaaa