The bankrupt Tooth fairy

The bankrupt Tooth fairy

A Story by Ada Haynes
"

inspired by an amazing Montenegrin little girl

"

Mum's calling me from downstairs. For the third time.

“Don't make me come upstairs, sleepyhead! Get up! Breakfast is ready!”

I'm not an early bird, especially not on school days. School is boring.

“Iva!!!”

I push the cover away, force my legs to move sideway and my feet to touch the floor.

The cold of the tiles makes me shiver, but wakes me up at the same time.

I go through the morning routine like a zombie and, after ten minutes, walk the stairs down.

My hot milk is already waiting for me, as well as three thick slices of bread, buttered and jammed.

Mum is feeding the baby, but she welcomes me with a smile.

“Finally. Did you check if the Tooth fairy brought you anything this morning?”

I freeze! I completely forgot about the Tooth fairy!

I run back to my room and looked under the pillow!

What the...!

I almost used a bad word!

Well, the Tooth fairy apparently came... but...

I pick up the two euros coin, and my tooth, and walk back downstairs.

Mum sees something is wrong, of course, and questions me.

I show her the coin.

“She only brought two euros this time!”

Mum quickly looks, and returns her attention to the baby.

“And...?”

“But I got ten euros last time!”

Mum thinks for a moment, then says: “Last time was your first tooth, Iva. Maybe the Tooth fairy wanted to encourage you to be a brave little girl because you know all your teeth are going to come down!”

I think about this for a moment. Mum has a point of course. But I was really counting on these ten euros. Last Saturday, at the market, I have seen a fabulous hair pin, in the form of a butterfly. I want it, and I have to be fast, otherwise Ana or another girl will have it.

I suddenly remember the tooth in my other hand.

“But look, Mum, the Tooth fairy didn't take my tooth. See, it must mean something!”

Mum looks at my hand with a frown, then at me.

“And what does my clever girl think it means?”

“That the Tooth fairy didn't have enough money with her, and that she'll come again to pay the rest tonight.”

Mum makes a sound that I hear quite often but still have to decide whether it's a laugh or something else. I walk back to my seat at the table and eat my breakfast.

At school, I discuss the situation with Ana. Ana is my cousin and my best friend.

She agrees with me that the Tooth fairy will probably come again to give me the rest of the money, but she's not sure it will be tonight. Ana is my age, and still has to lose her first tooth, but she knows stuff. She's the cleverest in the class.

“Maybe the Tooth fairy has no money left for this month. She may have to wait for her salary, like my dad, to pay the rest.”

Of course, that's the reason. Mum and Dad always discuss the coming of the salary as well.

Poor Tooth fairy. We are a lot of seven years old in my school. And there must be more seven years old in the world. Ten euros per tooth. I try to count, but my head is dizzy. It is a lot of money. Maybe she's not giving money to all the kids after all...

“Do you know if the children from Serbia also get a visit from the Toothfairy?”

Ana shrugged.

“And from Bosnia?”

“I suppose...”

I feel sad for the Toothfairy. She's going to be bankrupt because of us...

I read that word 'bankrupt' in Dad's newspaper last month and he explained it to me. It's when someone has no money at all anymore and owe a lot of money to others.

I feel sad, but I also really want that hairpin, really badly.

I can't discuss that part with Ana, of course. She would go and buy the hairpin immediately... for herself.

I think the rest of the day of my tooth and the bankrupt Tooth fairy.

Tonight, before going to bed, I prayed with Mum, then put my tooth under the pillow, with a letter.

Mum sees the piece of paper.

“What's this?”

“It's a letter to the Toothfairy. Want to see it?”

Mum takes the paper, unfolds it and read what I wrote.

I see that she wants to laugh, but she doesn't. She just refold the paper and put it back under the pillow. Then she gives me a kiss and switches off the light.

“Sleep tight, Iva.”

“'Night Mum.”



Dear Tooth fairy,

this morning, I first thought you made a mistake when you only gave me two euros for my tooth. But I now understand, I can wait until you get your salary. However I want to remind you that you still owe me eight (scratch that, I spent one euro this morning at the sweets shop) nine euros.

Your Iva.


I really think the Tooth fairy is going to be happy with me tonight. Maybe she'll give me twenty euros to thank me for my patience!


© 2017 Ada Haynes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lovely tale a joy to read. Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Just love this endearing story! The minds and hearts of children, wherever they are, are incredible. Believable, touching, humorous. Well-written!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a sweet, well-told story. Little "Iva" is such a smart thinker. I hope she eventually got the rest of the money and bought that hairpin.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ada Haynes

6 Years Ago

:) As far as I know, she didn't, but we all had a good laugh about how well thought her reaction was.. read more
This is actually based on a real story. It was so good, I had to write about it :)

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2017
Last Updated on July 10, 2017
Tags: Fairytale, tooth, teeth, little girl

Author

Ada Haynes
Ada Haynes

Hilversum, Netherlands



About
I'm a French girl living in the Netherlands and writing in English (mostly) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..