Chapter 1: Jack the Mighty

Chapter 1: Jack the Mighty

A Chapter by Albert Freeman
"

Jack's Tale begins

"

    Jack dropped the fire extinguisher and slumped against the kitchen counter. He looked up accusingly at the fire alarm, before realizing that it hadn't gone off because he had not bothered to replace the batteries since he had moved into the apartment three years before. For once he was glad that Amanda had cancelled on the date. He would have had a hard time explaining how he could burn ramen noodles and almost set the kitchen on fire.
    "Not that it would matter," he muttered. This would mark the fourth date in a row that she had cancelled. He was starting to suspect she was looking for ways to break up with him. The first excuse had been because she had a migraine. Now she was down to saying she couldn't miss tonights episode of American Idol. When he had suggested she record it she had said she preferred it live and had hung up on him.
    Well he didn't need her to have a good time. He'd just...He took a look at the phone and wondered if he should call. Maybe she had changed her mind. Besides the smoke was slowly breaking up. He would just say the smell was from added spices. What was the big deal about American Idol anyway? He had once won an award singing Karaoke while he was in the Air Force, so it wasn't that hard to do. Of course it had been given to him drunkenly by his friends and it was ''Guy who managed not to vomit while singing Celine Dione songs'' but it was still winning.
    Standing up, he dusted himself off and glared at the sink. He had dumped the pot in the sink and had turned the extinguisher upon it. He still wasn't sure how the flames could leap that high though. He'd have to write the ramen noodle people to put a warning label on the package. With a shrug he left the kitchen to find something else to do.



© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
Constructive criticism is always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on March 1, 2008


Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing