Chapter 9: Jack Runs Into Amanda

Chapter 9: Jack Runs Into Amanda

A Chapter by Albert Freeman
"

Jack meets Amanda again.

"

    Jack held up the two objects to the light and pondered his decision. He just couldn't make up his mind if he wanted one or both of them. His mind played over each selection carefully and he calculated thoughtfully. If he picked one would he regret leaving the other? If he picked both would he kick himself for getting two of the same thing instead of picking something else as well? Decisions, decisions.
    "Just grab them both. It's what you always end up doing anyway, even if you have to drive back to the store. We both know you like the cookies and cream and the neopolitan."
    Jack shrugged and put a smile on his face carefully as he put both ice cream containers in the small cart he had placed on the floor of the super market. He turned around and took a breath. "Amanda what a surprise to see you here. I figured once you stopped returning my calls and even blocked me online that I had seen the last of you. The aliens decided to return you?"
    Amanda smiled showing all her teeth. "I figured after your stripper incident you could use some alone time. By the way did you make it rain? How was it?"
    Jack held back a retort of his own. He refused to argue when he was deciding on ice cream or any other goodies. "You're looking well," he said diplomatically. "It's been what, two weeks since I last saw you. I trust things are going well with you. I figured maybe you had hooked up with the guy on your apartment level with the tattoos on his face you always talked about."
    Amanda sniffed. ''Don't be a pig. I've been hanging with my girls and enjoying myself. It was never about other guys while I was with you. You always had your head in the clouds and always focused on yourself first." She tossed back her dark hair and gave him a sharp look.
    Jack glared indignantly at Amanda. He was not selfish. He had let her do numerous things with him that he liked. Besides what guy willingly went to Avon and Tupperware parties. That was not his idea of fun, though he did like the new snap on lids that Tupperware had and the Avon skin so soft lotion was fantastic....wait, never mind that.
    "I am not selfish," he muttered. "What are you doing over hear anyway? You live half way across the city. Don't tell me you came over here for the sells." He gave her a suspicious look.
    Amanda shrugged her shoulders. "I was driving through the neighborhood and became thirsty, so I'm here to get a drink and decided to browse around. Am I allowed to do that Jack? Should I ask your permission from now own? You're such a chauvinist!"
    "Keep your voice down!" Jack hissed. "I'm sorry. Geez! It was just a question. Don't go all..." He trailed off at the sudden fire in her eyes. She hated being called a drama queen. It was amongst the legion of things that could set her off. "Never mind," he finished lamely.
    Amanda stared daggers at him and flipped her hair. "You're insufferable you know? Call me when you decide to grow up." Without another word she turned and left.
    Jack stuck his tongue out at her. Grow up? He was very mature. Whatever she said would bounce off him and stick to her. She could make like a tree and leave. He sure as heck wasn't going to share this ice cream with her. With that last satisfying thought and a head shake at the mysteries of women he headed towards the candy aisles.



© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
Constructive criticism is always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on March 2, 2008


Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing