Ch. 1 - The First Session

Ch. 1 - The First Session

A Chapter by WynterPhoenix

                I knew what I’d done as soon as the door closed.  There was no going back.  I had blabbed my darkest secret to a woman I knew I shouldn’t have trusted.  That’s why she sent me here.  She said I needed help and rehab was the only place she knew would “fix” me.  So, I’m sitting here, in a small, puke green colored room filled with boring posters meant for inspiration.  The only person I have to talk to is a therapist who’s only concerned with “How does that make you feel?”  She thinks she knows why I did it.  She’s a real…

                “Autumn?  Autumn, sweetie, you need to concentrate.  I’m here to help you.  There is nothing to be afraid of.  You can tell me anything.  I’m not allowed to tell anybody what happens in these walls.”  She pauses.  “Now, how about we start by telling me what comes to mind when I say the following words. Can you do that?”  I nod.  “Alright, let’s start with family.”

                Is she kidding me?  They’re the reason I’m here.  They’re the reason I did it.  They were never around when I needed them.  They weren’t around when my friends were spreading rumors.  No, they helped with the rumors.  What is a family anyway?  To me, it’s simply a punishment for being born.  I was lucky enough to be born into a family that didn’t want me.   I’m nothing like them.  I’m what you would call a black sheep.  I’m too smart for their conversations, so I have to dumb myself down just to talk to them.  I’m a “freak” to them because I liked school and reading.  I wasn’t friends with the popular group.  I liked wearing black.  To them, I was gothic.  I was “emo”.  The day I bought my first Korn album, “See You On The Other Side”, just put all the pieces together.  So miss therapist, you want to know what word comes to my mind when you say family?

                “Castigation.”

                The look on her face is priceless.

                “Are you sure that’s the word you’d use?  That’s an awfully big word, are you sure you understand the meaning?”

                Do I look ignorant to her?  Is it the blonde hair?  Maybe she doesn’t know what it means.

                “Well, if that’s how you feel, who am I to judge, right?”  Dimwit.  “The next word is father.”

                So many words could describe dear old dad, criminal, deadbeat, insecure, etc. My father was a decent man to strangers, when he wasn’t conning them out of their money.  When it came to his children, however, we were another sad excuse for his life being a living Hell.  He’s been in prison for years, and when he’s finally released, he doesn’t give me so much as a phone call, unless, of course, he wants money or a place to stay.  I can’t offer him that, so he shut me out of his life.  He doesn’t even deserve the title of “father”.  He has four daughters and I’m the only that still talks to him.  At least, the only one that tries.  I can only choose one word.

                “Pathetic.”

                I wonder if she’s aware of this pattern.

                “If you’re not willing to take this seriously, we can just stop.”

                That’s tempting.

                “No complaints here.”

                I can tell she’s aggravated with me already.

                “Tell me about your friends.  What are they like?”

                What friends?  Friends only stay long enough to take and then they turn their back on you.  They shove you in the dirt and expect you to take the fall for all of their mistakes.  They ignore you for weeks at a time, and when confronted, the only excuse they have is “You depress me”.  They lie to you and spread vicious rumors behind your back.  They’re the ultimate story tellers.

                “They’re non-existent.”

                This is where she glances at her watch to see when she can get out of here and tell her friends how horrible a life she must have.  I would gladly trade places with her any day.  I wonder what it’s like to have everything and want for nothing.  What’s it like to always be happy?  I’ve never been happy.  I wouldn’t know what to do if I was.

                “Okay, well if you’re not going to give me your full attention, at least answer one question for me.  What made you so traumatized that you felt you needed to cut yourself?”

                The question they’ve all asked and never gotten an answer to.  Should I lie and tell her my boyfriend dumped me?  That’s the answer they’re always expecting.  Maybe I should tell her I’m cutting away the imperfections I see every time I look in the mirror.  Would that satisfy her?  I doubt it.  Here I am, looking around the room in search of a suitable answer.  The clock says we have one minute left to this little tête-à-tête.  It shouldn’t be too hard, really.  She wants to get out of here just as much as I do.  There’s a poster hanging on the wall, just above her head.  It’s a picture of a boy that has skinned his knee, probably running in the summer heat with his friends, and right underneath the image is a quote stating “Life is simple, it’s just not easy.”  Why didn’t anyone ever tell me that growing up?  With that, I found an answer that she’ll think about for our session on Tuesday.

                “Life.”



© 2012 WynterPhoenix


Author's Note

WynterPhoenix
I decided to make this a book. Let me know what you think.

*Edit: I added some more to this Chapter.*

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I personally would love to read more of this story, so I hope you continue :)

That being said, you had me sucked in from the very start. I enjoyed the way you wrote it, and the different tones. It all came together really well. I could relate to the anger, the sadness and the frustration in the narrator because you wrote with very sincere emotion and allowed me to "feel" what you were conveying. Very very nicely done.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is great! I'm sad to say I had to look up what castigation means, but I'll bet I know a word you don't! Infundibiliform! Anywho, I like how we can hear the character's thoughts and your writing style just kept me reading.

Posted 11 Years Ago


There seems to be a theme with these two I've read. It sucks that life sucks sometimes. But you can be better than what your life has amounted to thus far. You can pull yourself out of the old garbage. That's my 2 cents, but back to writing, you can write. You can tell a story well. Keep it up.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is amazing! I love her thoughts and the inner thoughts throughout the conversation. I wish I didn't read the last word, but I scrolled a bit too far down and ruined the ending for me... o_o ... Cannot explain in words: just to say that it's breathtaking.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very awesome beginning. Her life already sounds like it sucks.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

By your book description, I didnt know if I wanted to read this or not. . . . BUT you got me hooked from the first paragraph. I love the tone and I kindof like Autumn and would love to read more about her life. So great job!!
Reading on .. .

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a really great story interesting concept great work!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

“Are you sure that’s the word you’d use? That’s an awfully big word, are you sure you understand the meaning?”
Do I look ignorant to her? Is it the blonde hair? Maybe she doesn’t know what it means.
“Well, if that’s how you feel, who am I to judge, right?” Dimwit. “The next word is father.”


wow~ so much hidden meaning in the conversations~ oh do continue!!!! the story!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nice story. I like it, really good and you can almost picture the story portraying in your mind.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very well written. I was actually disipointed when it ended so quickly. I would enjoy reading more of this story.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Clever, i love it. I love the cynical yet dead serious replys to the therapist's questions. It could use some more lengththough, it has great potential to be much more than a tiny little few paragraph short story. So far, its flawles. It has an excellend hook and a dose of addiction to hold your attention. I am adding this to favorites, lol, even though i dont cut or go through the same problems i can still relate to the character's views on life. Again, i love the pessimistic smartass attitiude.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on June 15, 2011
Last Updated on May 30, 2012
Previous Versions


Author

WynterPhoenix
WynterPhoenix

Asgard, TN



About
To my friends, Don't worry about my leaving this site. I might pop in every now and then, when I have the time but, for the first time...I'm all right. Things are different. My life is changing and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..