Watching Such a World...

Watching Such a World...

A Story by BeatricePortinari.
"

I couldn't tell you where this came from if I tried.

"

She ate cotton candy the same pink as her lips, watching the world fall into patterns below her perch on those indigo clouds.  Her alabaster feet were reigned in blood red shoes with spiked heels that, if she were to stand on one foot and close an eye, would poke holes in the chaos below. 

            She had doll’s eyes, a deep blue like the sea, that rolled back against her black eyelashes which crawled around those discs like beautiful bugs in amber.  They stayed narrowed and calculative as her tapered fingers, the tips so elegantly painted in chipping, army green, brought the wispy sugar to her mouth and back down the expanse of it lying across her thin lap. 

            It was slightly cold and she shivered, pulling her cardigan more tightly around her shoulders.  She thought wildly and with an abandon known only to the insane as she began to hum.  It was broken, beautifully so.  The kind of voice that was honey wrapped in lies, deep in her throat, and if you listened carefully, if you were willing to waste an hour, you’d hear every sound.  Every baby’s cry and every lover’s whisper, because there were secrets, but for every one there was an answer. 

            Song ripped from her elegant throat with the broken wings of a dove flying home to its perch at the end of this world and the beginning of a stranger one.  The cloud was white and fluffy, the planet below her inconsequential compared to the sight of the stars.  She reached out and grabbed one, tucking it in her pocket and smiling broadly at the light it shone through the fabric.  It was a lovely sight, a bright white light of pure and utter happiness held so gently in her hand.  There were options, she thought with conviction.

            With a star in her pocket and candy on her wicked tongue she realized the world was in her hands as obviously as the star she kept on such a short leash in her pocket.  Surely both could fly?  If we fail this time it will be for a lack of imagination, her heart beat wildly in her chest and she heard it in her ears.  A simple reminder that being human was what allowed her to stand in such a place and watch this universe fall asleep in the summer sun.

            If we fail this time there is no hope for the forgotten after us.  The misfits.  We’ve fucked up bigger and better than any race or any smile before us.  We’re so beautiful.  But we will not fail, she agreed, settling farther into the marshmallow clouds on her perch above the world.  We will not fail because, this time, we hold the world in our palms.  She picked the last cotton wisps from the cardboard stick and licked a finger.  Laughing with the hysterics of the damned, she tossed it off the edge and watched as it fell, with every passing second, toward the round ball of blue and green that seemed too boring and convoluted pressed against the back drop of Everything.  Her voice cut through the air and universe like a knife, traveling at the speed of light to the crevices and the twists we could never find, and back to her.  “We’ve never been afraid before.”

© 2011 BeatricePortinari.


Author's Note

BeatricePortinari.
Tell me what you think, please! Thank you for your time.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Brilliant descriptions...I cannot find the right words to explain what I think about this...just amazing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I absolutely love it.. I had a smile on my face all the way through and still do.. I love the mystery or magic and the playfulness felt by "her" :) x

Posted 13 Years Ago


A beautifully elegant story with vivid details painted in my mind Aphrodite sitting on the clouds. I am not sure if that is what you had in mind, but that is what I got from it. It is ambiguous enough for the reader to decide for himself or herself who this mystery character is. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Much love!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Brilliantly surreal, fabulously descriptive with images that scream from the words, excellent word choices with no pretentiousness. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This story has a bright popping feel to the descriptive content, bordering on the surreal. You might seriously consider trying to write a story for a 9-12 age group. If you could tie in some ethical dillema and moral outcome that would be pretty neat.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow..this was amazing!!
First of all, the descriptions:
" Her alabaster feet were reigned in blood red shoes with spiked heels that, if she were to stand on one foot and close an eye, would poke holes in the chaos below. "
That is so perfect :D

Also, the ambiguity of exactly what/who is speaking, despite the acute descriptions, gave this a very mysterious, yet real, feel.
This was just overall a very well written story.
Kudos.

Posted 13 Years Ago


BRB WEEPING TEARS OF INFERIORITY.
But seriously Embrey, this was great. Awesome. I love you

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2011
Last Updated on March 27, 2011
Tags: insanity, beauty, future, broken

Author

BeatricePortinari.
BeatricePortinari.

Wasilla, AK



About
so i guess i'm just a girl. with words, lots of those and somehow it makes doing this easier. i've got great parents who don't have a hope of understanding me but won't give up trying. i love food a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..