Something weird

Something weird

A Chapter by Kane

The air was light and the sun shined bright. I looked at the bright blue sky, bored. I felt my hair being made messier than it already was and felt the texture of my school uniform resting on me.
“The finalists of the combat tournament please be ready in thirty minutes at stadium number one,” I heard the principals voice call over the school intercom. Sighing while making my way over to stadium one, I pulled out my headphones that played absolutely no music. The thing about them was, that they cancelled noise well so I could ignore the looks and shouts of disgust from the A rankers. I was the only Z ranker in the world, and I was admitted into a school for only kids from rank A to rank D. Kids of lower rank were not admitted, but I was the only kid ever to achieve rank Z, a rank that was speculated to be a myth. The ranks were decided apparently on ones potential of growth, one’s genetic capabilities and one’s ability itself. The earlier one’s rank came up in the alphabet, the better you were. The worst to have existed in history before my existence was rank F, the birth of an orphan who was tested as a rank Z was quite a shock to the world and my admittance to the school was too. In stadium one I got changed and walked into the fighting area. Every fighter was an A ranker and I was the only exception. Slowly the veterans started to trickle in and I was sitting on one of the many pillars built in the stadium. A stadium made of black stone with lights shining from the ceiling, a room from which people could observer the battle, equipped with screens that were connected to cameras strewn all over the stadium. I was in the uniform we used for the tournament, a white T-shirt with white pants and a paintball gun as well as a light saber attached to either side of my hip. I looked at the electronic scoreboard that was starting to count the contestants and displaying everyone’s names. Mine was last, it was just Zero. A cruel joke the doctor had pulled on me after birth because the ranking was done immediately after birth. The timer had finally appeared and there was a countdown projected into the air for us contestants. It slowly went down from ten seconds, and I got up. I jumped down from the pillar when the timer reached five and was on the ground within a second. I felt the stares on me and I ran. I hid behind pillars, weaving in and out of the sight of the contenders I disappeared from view when the signal to the start of the round began. I knew of the possibility that all had decided to group together against me, and then duke it out. All but one. The one guy was my senior, he was a good person, and he was smart. He didn’t like grouping up with people to fight the weak, nor did he like it if people tried to approach his sister. He was respected, an A ranker coming from one of the most famous families. His name was William, his parents saying it had a regal tone to it. His sister wasn’t a person to laugh about either, it was just that she was looser and kinder to people. They were like day and night, the sister being the day with her blonde hair and bright smile, the brother the night with his dark brown hair and stoic self. I was leaning against a pillar when I heard the others come, like a hoard of elephants. They were less, some probably distracting William. I counted the shots everyone took and peaked every now and again to shoot back, hitting my mark every time. After hiding for the tenth time, I heard shouting and heard William’s voice. S**t, I didn’t want to face off against him. The last thing I heard were a few shouts and then William calling out to me: “Come out Zero, you and me, one on one, I need to get the stain off of my record.”
I came out from the safety of the pillar and turned to William: “That was a fluke.”
“Whatever others say, you know as well as I do that that wasn’t a fluke, but you being serious,” William replied. His eyes displaying that it was what he truly believed in, and it was right. I had been serious for the first time in ages when I had beaten William so much that he would be training from morning to evening, skipping school.
Before I could give a reply William had already pulled his saber and ran at me. I dodged strike after strike before I thought of a way out, albeit it being painful. Instead of dodging I pretended to lose my footing and while falling I could feel the saber hit me. William stopped after one hit and shouted: “NO! I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS!”
I sighed, grabbing the light sabers at my sides and struck a stance: “Alright then, shall we do this?”
William stood straight, in a fencing like position.


© 2015 Kane


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on October 18, 2015
Last Updated on October 18, 2015


Author

Kane
Kane

Somewhere over there, Germany



About
I am a person who enjoys reading the work of other people but also like to try writing fantasy novels. Currently running series: None On Hiatus: Alcatraz, Yggdrasil, Fly like the bird you are,.. more..

Writing
Forests Forests

A Story by Kane