The word-man

The word-man

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Know the truth. Open your eyes. Don't be fooled by naysayers and liars.

"
020_20

The word-man.


(Need men of woman to write the truth. Thank you for Hemingway, Kosinski, Twain and Nevil Shute. They wrote about the truth. The word-man must leave the truth behind. Maybe someone will pay attention and learn a better way. If we had no Alice walker or Helen Hunt Jackson. History would false truth create by opinion of the men in-charge. Hiding weaknesses and mistakes.)


The word-man


I brought coffee to the old Poet at the boardwalk park bench in Monterey in the early morning. Every Saturday and Sunday I could find him staring at the sea and writing. I brought my chess board. I hope for a game of chess and conversation.


He greeted me with a smile. I shook his hand and offered him the coffee. He took the coffee and asked. “What the payment. A game of chess or words?”


I requested both. He smiled and looked at the sea. Told me. ” You will learn to accept your life for what it is. We are, just pebbles in a pond that rarely moved. No-one can do much to change life.  We are, just fools waiting for death and peace.”


I looked at his sad eyes. Today they were filled with sadness. I asked him. “You are the Monterey word-man. You share and help us young writers. Do you really believe all life is useless and life had no purpose.?”


He smile strongly. His hazel eyes watching the waves dance. He told me. “I came here to died and to write my last poetry. You brought me into the poetry readings and pretty Poet’s. You gave an old Poet a reason to laugh and learn. Young minds and new dreams give hope to the old dreamers. I will be okay my friend. Just becoming afraid death is near. Cancer is almost done with me.”


I know he was sick. He left his family to keep them free of watching him dying. I knew death and I told him. “Let’s me be a friend till the end.”


I asked him. “Was the life worthwhile. Do you hold regret?”


He stood up and started to dance on the sand and then he ran into the Monterey bay cold water. I watched him while I  walk along the shoreline. The old Poet taught me. Life is long and to laugh. Even at death.


He came back to me. Gave me a journal. He told me. “This is for you. Remember the old word-man. Keep the poetry and story alive. Death will come. All we leave is the love we shared and kindness give. We need a million word-men to keep the truth alive and tell the world about the sweet and good possibilities of a life.”


I came back the next week. He was gone. I open the journal. I read his first poem.

Blind man


Bear the fruit of love said a blind man to his son. His father looked at his father. Spoke in pain.

Pa, you live without seeing. You live in a world of darkness?


The old man looked at his son. Told him. “I lived without my eyes for 50 years. I have known great joy and happiness.”


With a smile he whispered. “I lived a thousand days without seeing the world I know is so beautiful to see. I never saw the sun fall into the ocean. The moon rise up to light the darkness of the night. But my son. I’m blind.”


“I see a world for you to be happy in. A world with no limits, no boundaries without knowing the beauty of sight. I learn life is good and days are long. In my mind I can see all the beauty surrounding me. With each word spoken, I have learned life can be good for even a blind man such as I.”


“So my son. Forget your sadness of my lost sight. Because I’m happy. Just to be a man. Knowing you my son.


                                     Word-man 1992


He left me a note. Never give up. My Word-man friend goes forward with hope and no fear. Only blind men are the men and woman who cannot open the door to laughter and friendship.

         Coyote

© 2013 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
A old story. I believe need more writer's and reader's. Can fool a man who can see the truth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There is so much wisdom in your story Coyote. Sometimes, blind men can see more than those with eyes. They see laughter, happiness, joy, friendship and love in a way that is internal. Perhaps if we could see life in that way we would all find the wisdom the Word man spoke of. Great writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Tim. I appreciate the comment.



Reviews

You are a wise man, Coyote.
This is a little slice, bursting with powerful truth.
I'm glad I've read this.
-VM

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Vanesa. We can learn a lot if we listen.
You never fail to hit us with wisdom my darling and I share your message the world is in need for more writers, applauders and lets not forget the humble cynic! well done, good read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Thomas. I appreciate the comment.
You are a wonderful story teller. Coyote.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Pryde for reading and the comment . I do appreciate.
Only blind men are the men and woman who cannot open the door to laughter and friendship. So much truth to these wise words my friend.

:) Julie

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

A very old poem. From my days when I was station at Fort Ord. A lot of writers, artist and musicians.. read more
A lot to learn here. Life is worth living, even amid difficulty, there is hope in the diary of a poet. Poetry is the mirrior to reality, and a survenir of us when we die. Death is inevitable. A good story. Well done for posting this. Mr. Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
Onyia-Ali, Kingsley Chukwuebuka Benson

9 Years Ago

Welcome Sir
there is a great wisdom in this write,and I liked the title

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

A very good title. Thank you for reading and the comment.
This is beautifully done Coyote...I have always believed that the blind can see beyond what we can physically see, they understand life better than we do. They learn to live life to the fullest without limitations or barriers...not only the blind man/woman but also those who have no legs or arms...imperfect. They are fearless, brave, courageous... and I know, for I have had friends such as these...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful work :DD

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I agree. People, healthy and strong seeking nothing. This is a sad ending. People with handicaps who.. read more
The Black Warrior

9 Years Ago

You are very welcome Coyote :DD and I agree with you, they are the greatest example! :D
I leave this writing feeling enlightened.
We do not need eyes to see and feel what the third eye already knows.
Enjoyed this immensely. Thank you Coyote.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Ana. I appreciate the comment.
Deep words, John. But of course you're oh so right...and there are a lot of blind men and women on this earth, mark my words. Of course there are a lot who are different too. People who like talking an change of ideas ( for example here on WC), who dare to admit they are not perfect, but trying to become better, without hurting each other.
I'm a bit sad today after the massacre in Paris yesterday. Touched me, was shocked by the images. It was war in the midst of Paris. We must keep on smiling, whatever...or the these real blind men have won. :) Rudi

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

No place is safe. I pray for logic. Time to bring soldiers home and protect the borders. If world do.. read more
Rudi J.P. Lejaeghere

9 Years Ago

My pleasure, John. :) Rudi
Much wisdom and beauty was present within this lovely tale of the old wordman..a captivating and interesting piece...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Fran for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
  Fran Marie

9 Years Ago

You're so welcome, John

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2003 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on January 12, 2013
Last Updated on January 12, 2013

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..