The earth, the sky and the water.

The earth, the sky and the water.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Old poem written in 1992 and rewritten today.

"
 



                              The earth, the sky and the water

I found my Apache friend at the Fort Hood entrance.  I brought him some fruit and some coffee. He saw the sadness in my face this day. He told me. "Johnnie, you have come a long way. Touch five continents and saw so many places. You made many friends and you have learn so much.  I see the disappointment in your face. I understand your place. Took me many years to find the place of teacher and to know laughter. You believe you have learn little and you believe your life was a useless journey. You didn't do enough. Today we will tap drums together for the dead warriors, the earth, the sky and water."

I told him. I have punished myself for the hunger to see, to feel and know everything in life that can be felt. I forgot my brothers who killed themselves, left family and I wanted new places and people. I can't find forgiveness for leaving so many things behind.

My Apache friend Joseph. His face darken by the Texas sun and his old eyes always kind and gentle. He lite the pipe of tobacco . Took a deep swallow of the smoke and he passed the pipe to me. He told me. "The sun will rise daily and the moon will fall into the sea. Every dawn bring a new chance to do the proper things. We are not locked-in by hate and regret. Unless you built a wall of fear. Can you walk? Is your mind still strong? Can you breath and talk? Then you must be liked the mountain. Able to take the burdens of the seasons. Stand strong and solid and live with the things that were done and cannot be changed."

I told my friend. Old way and habit are hard to break. Can one man change his world? I fear more for the coming generation. What is left for them?

He smiled and he told me. "You can't stop the storms, you can't control the sea. The earth will move when the earth want. Men are like the earth, the sky and the water. Free to make the right or wrong decisions. You cannot control the will of men. We must do what we can. We must teach our children to be strong. To seek education and know freedom. Become the elder who showed the children. All life had value. One earth and one people. We must seek peace.

I left my friend. His eyes looked tired and he gave hope to so many. The kindness had drained his soul, but he waved goodbye and I see his large hopeful smile. I feel peace in my mind and heart.

I climbed a large hill. I sat and I watched the dust come. I pray. Kind earth, the sky and the water. Give me the strength to do the right things. My regret and hate seem less heavy as I walk back to my truck. I looked to the rising moon and I told her. Please bring peace and calm to my world. One earth and one people. We must get along for the sake of the children.
                                  John Castellenas/Coyote



© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Another fine write, Coyote.....

Once again you have given us a story straight from the heart of your experience, soaked in sentiment and words of wisdom. You have written well about your hopes and fears, disappointments and expectations. The piece is filled with many turns of phrase that one can savour and adaptedly use in their own lives.

Always well written, wise words from a gentle soul. I appreciate your work and words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Dooley. I appreciate the comment.



Reviews

Such a beautiful friend you have, full of sweet wisdom and the faith that goodness - in time, will prevail. I knew someone like that once upon a time.. twenty years ago, in fact and so admired his peace

Why is it that when wanting to stop more harm to our planet, we each think ourselves as being alone. Fear of being thought troublemakers, anarchists, etc.. stop us from speaking out! . People are scared witless of joining like-minded people to spread a coating of golden oil over the filth others have piled as both defence and attack. (had to edit my words they were a mess, sorry, John)

I've looked from tall hills, read your words, and others similar .. then, wiped my tears away with my sleeve.. wondering what would happen if... we forgot Self and thought Selves in the future. Every dawn indeed..

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

We need strong people to show us. The world is okay. I pray we can change before we pass the point .. read more
If we led by setting good examples for our children then we'd get a bit further ahead with each generation but I wonder is it too late or even possible. Enjoyed this one. Wise but sad.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I hope it is not too late. I feel it will take a nuclear war for us to end war. The people who surv.. read more
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

So true. Hope for the best...
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
D
At some point it felt to be the tale of an eternal wanderer... The longing for a safe, peaceful place, to call home. The weight of regrets pushing on the words...
it's a beautiful write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Kossuth. I appreciate the kind words.
D

7 Years Ago

You're very welcome. :)
such a wonderful story poem,enjoyed it very much.You write many words well;-]

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Weeping willow for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
Nicely captured the way of Indigenous story telling. The smoke, the eyes, the round about way of speaking before - bam- there it is!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. When we learn. We can't the save the world. We gained wisdom. The world must wa.. read more
A wise old man. I hope the speaker here finds the peace he is looking for. A nice story. Incidentally, I have been to Ft. Hood several times among others and left many things undone and many people behind.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

We all do. Fort Hood is a good duty station. I enjoyed my time in Texas. Thank you James for reading.. read more
World peace for the future generations....so true we must get along for the sake our children ....good write :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Thank you Ria. I appreciate the comment.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

734 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 18, 2016
Last Updated on August 20, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..