The quiet man spoke

The quiet man spoke

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words and a memory.

"

                        The quiet man spoke

My mentor, my friend. 

You drank till you could no-more. Five D.W.I's, left you walking and I was blessed to able to know you. You were a 35 year Veteran who never complained. You took care of us soldiers. You saved me twice before I befriended you.

I drove you to work and back for one year. The whiskey dry-rotten your stomach and the Army forced you out. Even with death near. You loved to laugh and get me in deep trouble.

We shared your last five month at the Seaside bowling and dancing club. Always surrounded by the girls and the old soldiers. We loved the Sergeant Major who fought in the Korea and Vietnam war. Never once did you discuss the war. I remembered he told me. "Johnnie, old soldiers must teach the soldiers right. No mistakes in war. You fight to win and you will lose your soul. Train them boys hard. Hard trained soldiers can survive my friend."

I was called at work. He died surrounded by his dear friends. My friend left instructions. Sergeant C. will do my final business. He left a Will. A thousand dollar for Sergeant C., 1/2 the money to my niece and 1/2 to the Red Cross.

500 people stood at the Sergeant Major final walk. Tears fell for the kind man. I remembered his face, I remembered him singing Hank Williams songs at the tavern. I remembered his last words to me. "Thank you Johnnie, my good friend. You have accepted my good days and my bad days. You have been my friend. We shall have few people who will walk the final walk with you. You and my kind friends did. I want you to take care of my girls at the bar. They were my daughters, I didn't have. Johnnie, don't be sad for me. I lived a wonderful life. I was a soldier and I wouldn't trade one day. Please Johnnie, quit the service before the blood kill the leftover good in you."

He left little. His small apartment had his ribbons and many photos. Many photos of him, when he was young. I wrapped them in a box and I send them to his niece. I remember he thanks me often and he told the girls. Be kind to each other. Life is too hard already.
                                                Coyote

© 2018 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Fine words, mighty fine memories.. and no greater love have any man for any man he calls a friend and brother.. the sharing of life's bitter, sweet and sour seals that bond, and may it last forever.. Fine words, mighty fine memories my good poet, friend and brother... N

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Neville

5 Years Ago

and very well remembered too..
Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

I love the quote you wrote here, Nev...how "no greater love have any man for any man he calls a frie.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

why thank you Kelly, how very kind of you to mention that..



Reviews

It's never just words, Coyote.
There is beauty there.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Wesley. I appreciate the comment.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Love this. Beautiful words from one true friend to another. Brings a tear to the eye, lump to the throat.
I myself have 2 such friends, they would give everything even if it meant them going without.
Hope you are well Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend for reading and the comment. We need those kind people who befriended us.
A fine tribute for your friend the Sarjeant, Coyote. A friend to many going by the number of people that turned out for his last walk. Friendships through good and bad are special. That is the test of friendship, when the going gets tough, who will stick around when the chips are down. You are left with some wonderful memories.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you dear Chris for reading and the comment. We need our mentors.
I can tell from your writing that you have lived a interesting and beautiful life that has been full. Thank you for sharing it with us and for telling us about your great friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

He was a great fiend and thank you for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
light and ashes

5 Years Ago

You're welcome Coyote :)
Friendships...some die...some fade....but the most important ....the real ones...we will remember forever. they become and etched part of us. Thank you for sharing your journey here, for reminding us that the package may not be perfect...it's what's inside that counts

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are right my friend. Good people are near. If we pay attention and thank you for reading and the.. read more
A sad but heart touching tale that has what I would consider a happy ending of sorts. He must have been a very special person to have that many attend his funeral. Something I think about often. I really enjoyed this memory you have shared.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you my friend for reading and the comment. He was. The Army leaders. Most wise and kind.
Three on a match,
none shall see,
said the old soldier,
so let me be.
I gather here with
my friends, these ghosts
and with Death at long last
we raise a toast.
To friends one and all
I raise my glass
that Death my old friend
can kiss my a*s.

Thank you John, for your fine tribute to your friend, the Sgt.Major.
The lines above are for Charles Robert Jackson, soldier of the Great War. (Grandfather)
George Delmar Kniffen soldier of the Second. (Father)


A good write.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh my...John, this one gave me goosebumps! The fact 500 people gave him his final send off says so much. He will be remembered. Taking all those ribbons and photos and sending them to his niece was such a kind thing to do, John. Yes, life is too hard and we need to be kind....and to be reminded as well. Beautiful tribute to your friend. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you dear Lydia. I learn. Soldiers take care of soldiers. We must.
such a sad tribute ...your friend encapsulated so many of our warriors lives ... drowning pain in a bottle :( too long and too much simply forgotten ... simply because so many just never talked about it :(( your friend must have been quite a human being .. so many gathered to say goodbye :((( i wish you well Coyote Man .. and salute the Sergeant Major .. and you as well my friend
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

He was a mentor and friend to many. At Seaside, California. A lot of the old soldiers found a safe p.. read more
a touching tribute to a real man. we learn from those who have gone before us ... :)

“Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.” - Douglas MacArthur

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I agree Pete. MacArthur knew. Thank you for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

598 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 12, 2018
Last Updated on November 12, 2018

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..