Stranger in My Room

Stranger in My Room

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

one of my last days with mother

"

“This makes two, come on and give me one more bite. You can do it and it smells so good, one more bite and I’ll leave you be till dinner.” Tone in check and a big smile, holds a fork full of catfish but her shaking head says no, so I grab the chicken broth and hope for a sip. 

I give her the cup and for now, she complies.  I’ve never felt so happy for so little. Yesterday we ate nothing, and today two bites at breakfast and again two at lunch. 

“Momma, the transport lady is here we have to go downstairs.”

Again, she shakes her head and pleads with me “you know” is all she says.

“Yes, I know and we’ll do it together,” I smile though my nature is to cry, but I only have smiles for mother. “Okay?” I quickly help the lady roll her up in her sheet, and we easily move her upon the gurney.  

We enter the elevator down south hall and go to the 3rd floor and then take the adjacent elevator to radiation.

Wild eyes look may way and in a panic, she cries out “Who are you, I don’t know you! Who are you?”  This has never happened before, as I smile.

“you're my mother; my name is Cherrie, and we are waiting for the nurse.” I use the softest tone I possess as I push the help button.  

“We are a little confused and upset today can we have a sedative before the treatment?” I ask the nurse even though my tone was more of a command.

“I’ll check and be right back.” Nurse Mary knows us well we’ve been here every day and will be for 22 days. She gives mother a shot and the sedative takes hold, she begins to cry,  as both worlds meet for a brief moment “I didn’t know you,   I didn't know,   I didn't.”

“Shh, just rest, its okay. I love you, and it will be alright.” I rub her forehead and sleep comes quickly until the treatment begins, and then we wait for the chills and the dry heaves to begin.  

© 2013 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

In the beginning I thought I might share this final journey but the experience was just to close to my heart.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is so sad, touching, tender and sweet. Our parents mean so much to us. And in their ours of needs and upsets. We try to be strong and tender and have a soft touch of comfort and loving words. When inside and out we just want to cry.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Onlyme

5 Years Ago

You have not had it easy Cherrie, you are a remarkable, lovely, kind, honest and caring lady. I am .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you, Dawn.
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

Cherrie you are a true sweetheart, modest, kind and so lovely. Wish I could give you a big cuddle. D.. read more
Our parents are are heart breaks in time. This is a tender moment that is universal and it struck me. Thank you for sharing it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

11 Years Ago

thank you Nimbus
I found your story easy to read and touching. Are you going to expand this story into a longer version? I can see it.
Thanks for sharing!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Cherrie Palmer

7 Years Ago

I don't think I can

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 16, 2012
Last Updated on November 3, 2013

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing