Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Random chapter

Random chapter

A Chapter by Bailey B.
"

A random chapter that will go somewhere in the book. I tried to start it as the beginning but didnt like it. So I wrote a prologue. Read it for now since I jump from one place to another when I write

"

  MILLY! The shout in my head woke me up with a start. I would have been really concerned if I didn't know the voice. What? I sent back. I have been trying to get you up for half an hour! He shot back at me. Well, I'm awake now Vanilor. What do you want? I asked, wondering why he was so irritated. Don't you remember the flying test is today in the new course they set up last week. Everyone, including Nathan and Cora, is out here practicing. And I've been here waiting for you! So come on!

  Crap. I had forgotten about that. I got up from my bed and quickly changed into my standard training clothes. The shirt and pants were completely black, and I looked more like a ninja than a dragon rider. I smiled over this as I ran out the doors and towards the new flying course where Vanilor was waiting. I was so happy when they built this course because the others were worn out from the many years of dragons and riders that had passed through them. Maybe that's why me and Vanilor always passed our flying tests.

  When I arrived at the course, my first thought was that it was huge. Probably as long as two football fields. I walked around, looking at the hoops that some dragons and their riders were flying through. A few other obstacles were high stone walls that we had to dodge and there was a field we had to cross over without being hit by arrows. Usually the arrows had a spell on them so they wouldn't hurt us. But knowing this school, we always had some sort of surprise waiting for us. Such as the new obstacle at the end of the course. There was a tall mountain-like structure with two tunnels on one side and hopefully two on the other side as well. I had never seen something like it in the older courses.

  Suddenly, I was covered by a large shadow and felt hot breath all around me. I smiled and turned around. Vanilor's large head was lowered down to me so I could see his emerald eyes. The rest of his green body sparkled in the sunlight. "Hi." I smiled innocently, so maybe he'd let my mistake of not waking up pass. He rolled his eyes at me. "Hey. You all rested up for this?" Vanilor's tail flicked in excitement as he said this.

  "Yep. I love a good challenge. And this course does look challenging. Has Nathan and Cora already practiced?" I wanted to see how my best friend would do on this course. Last week, as they were building the course, Nathan was boasting about how he would probably get the highest score on the test.

  "They're flying through it for the fourth time right now." Vanilor said as he turned his head to the course. I looked and saw Nathan riding his red dragon Cora through the stone walls. They dodged each one and had a pretty fast speed going. Then came the arrow field. I guess they had done enough times to figure most of it out. Only a few arrows hit them as they zig zaged over the field. Cora landed at the end of the field when they had made it through. She spotted Vanilor and me and walked over to us. Nathan looked down at me, smiling brightly.

  "Have a good sleep Milly?"

  I smiled back. "Yes I did. I don't know why you came out so early, seeing as you like sleep even more than I do. You skip class just to sleep."

  Nathan jumped down from Cora's back. "I have to sacrifice precious sleep so that I can get a better grade than you."

  I scoffed. "That was your plan? Don't you know your brain and reflexes works better with more sleep?" He shrugged. "I guess I don't need as much sleep as you do to get everything to work better." I nudged Nathan in the side, smiling. "Shut up. Anyway, me and Vanilor better go and get started on the course." I climbed up on Vanilor's back.

  "Hey Milly, don't go through the mountain obstacle at the end. No one's been allowed to practice that. The school says it's a special test for graduates and next years graduates like us." Nathan said. I nodded at him and me and Vanilor flew towards the course.

  We had to wait for two more dragons and their riders to go through. When it was our turn, Vanilor looked back at me. Ready? He sent. I smiled confidently. Yeah. Let's go! And with that, Vanilor flew into the course. The first obstacles were easy. We passed through the hoops and then we flew under and over a few bridge-like structures carved out of the hills. Then came the stone walls. The spaces in between the walls was more narrow than I had thought, but Vanilor was able to handle it and the sharp turns. Next was the arrow field. We got hit alot, but I had been right about the arrows having a spell on them. I didn't feel like healing anything when I got back to my dorm. After we finished the course we went back as many times as we could before the test. Each time, me and Vanilor went faster and we manuevered through the course better. The tight space and turns of the walls became easier to move through. When we went over the arrow field, we barely got hit.

  Cora and Nathan flew up to us after our eigth time through the course. Cora smiled at Vanilor, beating her red wings. "I've forgotten how fast you've become. If I want to get the better time, I might need to speed up a little." I saw Vanilor smile back. "I would if I were you." He said. Then we heard a whistle ring out and we saw the course instructor, Mrs. Kruse, standing on the ground. Her brown dragon Ryuu was sitting next to her, looking up at us. She was flicking her tail and was waiting for all the students and their dragons to come down.

  Cora and Nathan headed down first, with me and Vanilor following them. When everyone had landed, Mrs. Kruse smiled at all of us. "All right students, let's get this going. Anyone want to volunteer to go first?" Hands flew up and the test began.

 



© 2013 Bailey B.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lol yes. And thank you :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Okay, the only flaw I noticed that smacked me in the face was 'me and Vanilor'. It's 'Vanilor and I'. Now, since I said I'd give you a true review I'm gonna say this. I need more info. Like, what color is Vanilor,what is Milly's personallity, or...what is their enviorment like/what does it look like? Other than that, I say it's perfect aand ready for a new chapter. Cora and Vanilor are friends, yes?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alright Alright! I must say this was a very good read! It had captivated me from the start and since I love manga it does have that type of feel to it...It reminded me of the Chuunin Exams from Naruto...I loved the imagery here and it was a perfect way to start the story off...Hopefully soon we get more into the characters but since this was the first chapter it's ok...If I seen this on a shelf I would buy it! Keep up the good work and looking forward to the next chapter

Posted 12 Years Ago


O.K. here we go,first things first, I stared reading your story and the way it started off got my attention quickly.Which was great,the more I read the better it got,I havent looked at your profile yet so I dont know how old you are but from what I have read i'd say your in college. I hope you keep writing. Do you ghost write? I would love some help from you. I plan on reading your entire book this weekend,if theres any more.....great start

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2011
Last Updated on March 26, 2013


Author

Bailey B.
Bailey B.

Smithfield, NC



About
First, my first name is Christian. But I like to be called by my middle name, Bailey. I'm a Free Will Baptist Christian country girl who loves reading, writing, dancing, and band. I also love Anime; m.. more..

Writing
Miya's Story Miya's Story

A Story by Bailey B.


The River The River

A Poem by Bailey B.