Burn The Bridge

Burn The Bridge

A Story by Christopher Zayn
"

Not a through street.

"
The water below crashed against the rocks with erupting quakes of power. Observing the Pacific Ocean in the distance, I reveled in the darkness, carried by the swift wind numbing my ears in its shivering whips. You'd almost forget that I, frozen idly on the Golden Gate Bridge was contemplating death. My intent was more than death, it was a secondary goal, which came after escaping the harrowing events of my life.

Months prior, leading to my leap into the murky deep, bellows of despair and self-hatred could be heard inside my bedroom. I lived with relatives, as they pranced about cheery and lively, I was sullen. I walked around wretchedly, glancing at the happiness on their plastic-like faces. Self-mutilation and suicidal gestures loomed over me. I brooded over how I was abandoned by my immediate family, I was a burden that was discarded like old newspapers.

I explored further into what I felt, reaching websites seemingly advocating the act of committing suicide. A plethora of lethal methods I came across, from hanging to cyanide poisoning. Statistics of said method, going on concerning the success, and danger of failure. Brain damage, spinal injury, prolonged suffering, blindness and paralysis. I searched for a method in particular, of minuscule agony and upon discovery, my corpse will be discerned instead of maimed beyond recognition.

I had no diagnosed mental illness. Although there was a lack of diagnosis, I had been prescribed anti-depressants three years ago. My mother died, and I moved to live with my father. He had remarried the same year, to the mother of his b*****d children, two daughters. I virtually felt alone, and emotionally abused by my father's lackadaisical definition of being my "father". My mother felt disdain towards him for years after the divorce, and branded that successfully into me.

I grew to hate him, and he remained the same hollow person he is. But I admitted to myself, no matter how strong my hatred, my fear of him will be there as well. I wanted nothing more than to rip away from the bonds. I'm still unraveling the bonds of the hurt and anger, wanting nothing more than freedom. A life of prosperity and a future of continuation is what freedom means to most. Freedom for me translates to the arms of death and abruption of continued life.

Epilogue-
On Friday, June 27, 2014, Golden Gate Bridge officials are expected to approve a funding package for a $76 million suicide barrier.

Saturday, Dec. 20, 2014 - 8:47 a.m.
The final design for a suicide barrier on the Golden Gate Bridge was approved Friday by the district Board of Directors, moving the project closer to reality.

"This has been a long time coming," Judy Arnold, bridge board member and Marin supervisor, said of the design approval. "We were delighted to pass this and to get it going to start helping saving lives".


"Saving" Lives...

© 2015 Christopher Zayn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Do you think the suicide barrier will help save lives?

Posted 8 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Zayn

8 Years Ago

Yes I do..
Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Good.

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
1 Review
Added on May 22, 2015
Last Updated on May 22, 2015

Author

Christopher Zayn
Christopher Zayn

Fantasy Land, CA



About
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.” ― Albert Einstein, The World As I See .. more..

Writing