Shade of the Sunlight

Shade of the Sunlight

A Story by Chryiss
"

This was the essay which I credit towards my beginning love for writing. It's from freshman year in high school, and I still remember my teacher being struck by it's unusual style..

"



A sun dimmed to a soft egg yolk pastel. Yellow. My least favorite color. And yet, I wait for it, in hopes I’ll get to see it for longer than just a week during summer vacation.

A single place can be the entire world. A moment in time. Or a room, powdered in daffodil. 

One step inside, and I’m 5 again, sloshing around in my inflatable pool...6 again and fumbling ecstatic to be celebrating my first birthday in America...7 again and coercing my cousin to take on the meter high roller coaster...8 again... 

A lone tread uncorks memories stashed away in my subconscious from years past. How can a space where a bed absconds half its area encompass my childhood? 

My quotidian haze of enervation from a day’s drudgery wanting interlude institutes a sense of despondency that only a panacea, my lemon chiffon room, can eradicate. If I had a transportation charm though, I would ferry myself over into this elfin expanse, disappearing from the perturbation of one world into my own which exists lifetimes beyond their capabilities. Without this haven I am an inert volcano detaining and yearning release; bottled up then pried loose as divergent paroxysms inevitably follow.

I’d lie upright on the berth, intoxicating myself with the siren’s enticing perfume of sweet salt and tranquilizing ions-the everyday specialty of the ocean. Then, an engine’s distant tremor will reverberate through the air and dissipate into a stifled whistle past the bungalow, its fading Coquelicot taillights smearing the night.

The fan’s dial stations on medium high, its oscillation forging feathery blades of wind, each stroke a duet by thrums and breezes of a soundless lullaby. 

I don’t dream. 

Everywhere else. Not here.

I just sleep.

Seven days is all I get in this room, seven days of the year. But so much can happen in seven days, so much can occur. Only here, wrapped in pale sunshine, can I ever rest.

© 2018 Chryiss


Author's Note

Chryiss
A one page assignment to describe our favorite place. I chose this little bungalow I always stayed in with my family over summer vacation. I truly love that place and miss it, but the memories are fond and forever.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the wordplay. Many hesitate, fearful of the reader's reaction. This is eloquent. Sensations of appreciation for your favorite place wash over the reader. I admit I needed to look some up. That helps us grow in our own vocabularies. Lovely work. Regardless of age.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Thank you!! Yes for sure! In my search for the ideal word choice, I end up researching and learning .. read more



Reviews

Very impressive Chryiss. The vocabulary and the style with lots of nice images bringing your favourite place to life. I have benefited greatly Here from constructive reviews (few and far between I'm afraid). My own opinion is that you have got carried away with the language and missed that the purpose is communication. Great writers usually use fairly simple language but to great effect. I can see that this is an early piece and I'm guessing that you have figured this out yourself.
All therewi


All the best with your writing.
Alan

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Yes for sure! This my first "true shot" at creative writing, and at the time those years ago I was v.. read more
Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Oh dear! I can't believe I hit post before I could say, Thank you so much for stopping by to impart .. read more
Easy to see / smell / feel the place through your words. AN excellent write. ~Jim

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Glad to hear it evoked your senses. Thanks for stopping by! :)
I like the wordplay. Many hesitate, fearful of the reader's reaction. This is eloquent. Sensations of appreciation for your favorite place wash over the reader. I admit I needed to look some up. That helps us grow in our own vocabularies. Lovely work. Regardless of age.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Thank you!! Yes for sure! In my search for the ideal word choice, I end up researching and learning .. read more
Your teacher had to be ecstatic!! That is a great piece especially for a freshman in high school. The vocabulary alone would put 99.9 percent of the freshman, most people for that matter to shame. A cool, nostalgic and relaxing tone. Loved this!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Haha, actually my teacher was so bewildered by this piece she had to talk to my e.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2018
Last Updated on December 15, 2018
Tags: sunlight, shade, essay, school, beach, bungalow

Author

Chryiss
Chryiss

CT



About
An artist. A dreamer. A writer. A storyteller. I am Chryiss. These stories are the culminations of my imagination. Will you share in my daydreams? My latest fantasy novel, My World To Live, is ava.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..