From The Beginning To The Kiss

From The Beginning To The Kiss

A Poem by Cyprian Van Dyke
"

A high school dance is being held in Cinderella's castle, Disney World.

"
There're so many words she could say,
But the birds in her mouth just wouldn't let them play.

She's living for tonight, her big high school dance. 
But she's thinking about wearing a mask ... because of this man!

She frets in front of her mirror, because 
She doesn't want to know the potential of her appearance.

Her invitation is a ticket, 
She even got jet lagged when reading it...  

"The dance will be at Disney world... in Cinderella's castle."      
The invitation got dropped from her hands and left at the table. 

The rest of the evening, 
Was just like its beginning,
But tonight there may be a special ending,

The sunset's in front of the entrance. 
She walks in and sees a school by twos dancing.   

She's dressed in peach in a dress so fluffy, 
People look at her and think of a wedding.

She takes a deep breath and starts walking.
From the brilliance of the sunset to her shoes sparkling, 
The whole school sees her   body  smiling.

Hours have passed, shown by the surrounding hourglasses, 
In front of the entrance, students see the moon patently rising.
Then a certain man's presence brings more time to this dance! 
He's more than a student, he's more like a Prince!

He slithers through the people, one hello after another, looking for her...
But she slides her mask over her face and acts like she's invisible,     
She keeps an eye on the entrance awaiting her beau. 

The time the prince brought to the dance, 
Was rain to the drought of her hopeless romance.

But then a beastly man walks in.  
His attire glistens in front of the moon at the entrance. 
She sees him and smiles in her hope of deliverance. 
She didn't know if he would show on such a short notice. 
She runs to him and brings him close to her with warmth. 
Her arms are like a necklace wrapped around his neck, 
wrapped around his arms he feels her every breath. 

Between the moon and the school, they kiss,
Between heaven and earth, there's bliss! 

10/12/2015

- Cyprian Van Dyke

© 2016 Cyprian Van Dyke


Author's Note

Cyprian Van Dyke
I was thinking of Beauty and The Beast when writing this, and I mixed it with a little Cinderella. I just showed that she was after the Beast rather than the Prince at the end. I never saw either film's, but I think I could relate to the beast judging by the basics.

What made reading this poem worthwhile for you??

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love that she didn't want a dashing prince at all.
He comes in looking for her she trys to hide from him, as she is looking for her prince, and that guy is just not it.
As a prince is more then just good looks. She has truly fallen for a guy who is a prince on the inside, and he is who she wants.

Again extremely beautiful and so so so romantic. This has such a deep and strong meaning, and it definetly has a beauty and the beast kinda story to it as well as Cinderella. I love it.
This was an awesome poem.
Keep on writing :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

cimmy wuv xxxooo

7 Years Ago

Your more than welcome. Your writing is worthy of such reviews
Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

So nice of you to say. :)
Tushar Singh

7 Years Ago

Amazing mix of two themes. Its just so true. I loved it! Awesome sir.



Reviews

I really enjoyed this poem, the story it tells is pretty sweet ^_^
I like the beginning, how you described the "so many words" not being able to "play" due to the "birds in her mouth". It reminded me of moments when I feel anxious, with butterflies in my tummy, not being able to speak, with all my thoughts scattered in my head. I kept picturing birds in my mouth stopping me from speaking lol
I think it's interesting how she chose the beast rather than the prince, I like that XD
I saw this in two different ways:
1- The prince as the good-looking and popular guy, that all girls like. And the beast as the non-popular one...
or
2- The prince as the nice guy that cares for her and gives her attention but she rather choose the beast, the messed up guy that comes late and doesn't really care for her.
I like my 1st interpretation more though XD
Thanks for sharing. See you around ^_^

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Sweet!
:) Lol, My imagery sticks! That's awesome!
Your first interpretati.. read more
A very fine write. Love has no reasoning. You don't always have to fall for a prince. At times the beast wins your heart.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

Yes! You're so right!
Thank you for the review. :)
This is quite an intriguing interpretation of these characters. I really like the line "The whole school sees her body smiling," as well as the final couplet. The girl seems to be very concerned with her appearance throughout the poem, but in the end, it's revealed that true beauty is found in the love she shares with one whose physical form is considered "beastly." A very unique setting for an endearing message. Great work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

Thank you, very! It was fun to write.
Of course, I always love when the beast wins, becuz I'm kinda anti-prince. I liked the way you wove in the setting sun & the rising moon . . . could be symbolic of dark & light juxtaposed. In a couple places, you use passive voice such as "The invitation got dropped" and I always prefer active verbs, which are more powerful. I'm a little unclear as to your two references to wearing a mask . . . but I'll guess that we often act differently around people who are polished & perfect, whereas we can be ourselves around people who are real, such as the monsters & beasts, thus their appeal. Frankly, I don't watch movies such as the ones that might've inspired this (no kids, so I missed all that), but your message is so original, there's no need to refer to the movies at all.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your comment, it means a lot to me! *HUGS*
Talk about a fractured fairy tale! I took it as a metaphor for women being attracted to men who are really not worth their time. Prince Charming wants her, but she wants for the Beast and loves him. We all have memories of high school dances and the things that went wrong at them. Interesting write. Lydi*

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

Thank you Lydi.
I never heard the term, "fractured fairy tale", thank you for mentioning it... read more
"What made reading this poem worthwhile for you??"
the opening couplet!! good grief charlie brown! so graphic and you set the hook for me ... "...birds in her mouth..." .... priceless!
so relateable ... brought the memory of the first dance i went to in jr. high .. sucked to the wall by a vortex ..palms small rivulets unrelenting ... i even remember the one girl not taller than i .. who i finally ..in great pain asked to dance .. which we did (sort of) once .. and i could not help letting my feet race me out the door ... what ever got into one's mind to say "I wish I were young again" :)
i also enjoyed reading as it was not beleaguering .. the stories are eternal and universal .. i think i would have liked the prince to be the beast more subtly instead of two separate guys .. tho it is not a far leap for me to take it that way anyway .. i like the couplets interspersed and the one rhyming refreshed me ... glad i came to read for all those reasons ..
E.
ps the "slithering" Prince caught me by surprise ... expected him to move with more courageous suave ;)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review, it's much appreciated!
I love how it reminded you of a dance you .. read more
I simply adore this write! I couldn't wait for the prince to come in and he indeed was worth waiting for. You created for me a beautiful and believable fantsy that was wonderfully entertaining...worth a second read! I love these lines The time the prince brought to the dance, Was rain to the drought of her hopeless romance. ~Sharon

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

Thank you very very much! I had a big smile reading that prince was worth waiting for and that it wa.. read more
Miss Sharon

7 Years Ago

You are so welcome m friend! ~SP

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1706 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 21, 2016
Last Updated on July 21, 2016
Tags: Cinderella, castle, high school dance, Disney World

Author

Cyprian Van Dyke
Cyprian Van Dyke

FL



About
If you're not into reading but love movies, here's why you should give my poems a read: I've been told many times that my writing is cinematic. I love movies and video games and I really aspire t.. more..

Writing
Intro Intro

A Chapter by Cyprian Van Dyke



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..