Watching People

Watching People

A Story by Daydreaming
"

An interesting animal in an interesting place

"
It's a cold, yet beautiful day outside. 
The weather is cloudy, but no breeze.
A bench in the distance, 
One side occupied with morning dew, glistening with radiant colors that seemed to make a small rainbow.
The other with one... bird.

Gazing upon this animal from what seemed a great distance for me, as the cold and sun blurred my eyes enough to make have to squint just enough to where my vision was somewhat of a blur. 

I noticed that it had... well sort of a habit. It wouldn't fly, nor would it run at the approach of a person. The people who were walking the trail at that time would simply yield to it. Not sure what would happen if they approached it. It almost seemed as the bird was making a statement, " This bench, belongs to me." Or at least to... someone?

The bird seemed to be wearing a beautiful coat of black, its feathers striking a wonderful dark shade that I could only describe as a mourning black.  At the top of its head, laid one thick white stripe, stopping right before hitting the creatures beak. The bird itself wasn't a great size, however the posture it struck as people approached the bench was none the less powerful. 

"Perhaps it was waiting for someone, maybe it just wanted the bench to itself." I thought to myself, but then quickly denied that fact as I thought how ridiculous that sounded.

However, not long after thinking that. An elderly couple began to walk toward the bird. 

Two hops left, one hop right. Looking them up and down, side to side. The bird perched itself on the railing of the arm to the bench. 

It was outstanding to say the least, it was almost as if the bird was saying, " Sir, Ma'am. You are more than welcome to have a seat right here."

Happily the elderly couple accepted. They shared their lunch with the bird. And as soon as it had its fill it flew off. 



A week or so later, I did another walk. The same path, except I left just a little sooner than I did last time. There was an unusual amount of people gathered around that bench today. 

As curious as I am I asked someone who seemed to be with the group what was going on, which I quickly regretted.

"Ah, my Aunt and Uncle passed away last week, they said they had a lovely lunch with a odd friend here. So we all wanted to come and say thank you to that man."

I described the couple I saw last week to the man, mainly to cure my suspicion of something... that gave chills through my spine.

He quickly smiled and said, " Yeah! Were you the person they spoke of?" 

Apologizing, " Ah, I'm sorry I am not."

I spent the rest of the day wondering, perhaps the couple came back? I never did find out if they did. 

But I do know that I've never seen a bird quite like the one that morning, Welcoming its guests to have lunch with it. Then just as the meal is about to be finished, fly off. 

Without any effort, spreading its wings and flying off into the stretch of the trees where we an no longer see.

What an interesting thing I've seen.

© 2015 Daydreaming


Author's Note

Daydreaming
This never really happened, I just had an urge to write something. I wanted to know if I had the talent to get your attention. Well? What did you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the flow of this story. I too found myself amazed at the birds in the sky and the message they may be trying to get across to us humans. To think that bird was the odd friend the couple spoke of is a great imagination with a hint of realism. I remember sitting in Wal-Mart parking lot for an hour just watching the birds and how some would watch guard and the others engaged in their daily routine. Thank you for the journey!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daydreaming

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and feedback :) Glad that you liked it!



Reviews

Yes you do...have a talent that gets the readers attention. I could picture myself as the observer and felt the calmness of it, like I was there myself. Sometimes I watch the birds through my kitchen window in the morning, coffee in hand and would swear that sometimes, you come across one that looks straight at you and leaves you wondering what they are thinking.
I like the idea of the bird waiting for the couple, who got to share lunch with a friend one last time.
Great write. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


i really liked this! not usually one for short stories, so not very experienced, but I would say talented enough for me! "they said they had a lovely lunch with a odd friend here" I think if the lunch were made plural, "they said they enjoyed lunches shared with an odd friend here", making it an event that would happen often would make it of note to be brought up by the stranger. This would make it a definitive established relationship though not chance meeting and an instant connection. Very good, just constructive criticism.

Posted 8 Years Ago


A beautiful story of life and the birds. I liked the description. Bringing to life the life of birds and people. I like the place and the thoughts. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daydreaming

8 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping in for a read, much appreciated.
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Was my pleasure and you are welcome. I will come back later and read some more. I'm off for work.
I like the flow of this story. I too found myself amazed at the birds in the sky and the message they may be trying to get across to us humans. To think that bird was the odd friend the couple spoke of is a great imagination with a hint of realism. I remember sitting in Wal-Mart parking lot for an hour just watching the birds and how some would watch guard and the others engaged in their daily routine. Thank you for the journey!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daydreaming

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and feedback :) Glad that you liked it!
It gets my imagination going. I feel like I'm in the story and experiencing the whole thing. I like how you capture my attention. your story telling is unique.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daydreaming

8 Years Ago

Thank you! Ill keep writing and hopefully you'll join in for a read!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

385 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 11, 2015
Last Updated on November 11, 2015
Tags: Life, Death, Happy, Sad, Family, Morning, Short Story

Author

Daydreaming
Daydreaming

New York City, NY



Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Distance Distance

A Poem by A. Amos


This Suitcase This Suitcase

A Poem by Faith