Sorry I'm Late

Sorry I'm Late

A Poem by Dominick

 

Sorry I'm Late
A Poem by Dominick
 
I stopped by today. I didn't see you.
I was running late again; nothing new.
A couple of hours went by and I had to go.
I'll be back again tomorrow, just to let you know.
Sometimes I leave a note, sometimes I don't.
I can say I'll be on time tomorrow, but I know I won't.
 
 This past week has been so hectic and so rough.
I hope you didn't hear that I wasn't so tough.
It turns out I'm not as strong as I had hoped to be.
A part of me is weak which I hope you didn't see.
I wish I could talk to you right now; I have so much to say.
Things that would have been easier said, just the other day.
 
 The time came and went, it's no surprise I was late.
Once just a minor flaw, now a part of me I hate.
My mind is like an emotional rollercoaster jamboree.
This soul-sucking week has made the Dead Sea out of me.
You're probably soaring tall, with a soul so carefree.
I just wish you were here now, spending time with me.
 
 Time goes by so fast while I sit here and wait.
I'll try to catch you again, on some other date.
The sun is starting to set, on yet another day.
I still haven't told you, everything I had to say.
But when the time comes, I'll stroll right past that golden gate.
I'll stand before you face to face, and say "Sorry I'm late."
 
 

© 2008 Dominick


Author's Note

Dominick
I'm not really looking for much here as far as reviews, although they are always welcome and appreciated. I just want my friend back.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hmm...would i be way off track if i remarked that this seems to have a religious aspect to it?
It could be the narrator talking to God; i didn't think that until - " But when the time comes, I'll stroll right past that golden gate.//I'll stand before you face to face, and say "Sorry I'm late." " - in the last stanza.
Of course, it could also be the narrator talking to just about anybody that he/she has cared for and let down in life.
I think i like the third stanza the best, as the rhyming seemed less contrived to me.

Thanks for sharing this with me.

p.s. I'm not religious, i just got a vibe from this...that i'm probably mistaken about

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i like this one. for some reason it speaks to me. old friends. we lose touch, time passes, they become ghosts that haunt our memories. we long to call, visit, write but sadly keep procrastinating until it is too late. i like the end of this, very hopeful. i hope you can finally get past that gate, & get your friend back.

Posted 15 Years Ago


At first I thought of being late for a job, but by the last stanza it seemed more like a date. I guess you could interpret this in a number of ways. One of the many reasons I admire your work is the raw emotion you put into every piece.

Great Write,
Rayne

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have a phenomenal way of putting your writing to a close. From the beginning to the end there are instances where you are late and could be sorry about and then you get to the end and realize it's not something you said but need to say when the time comes. The rhyming comes so natural and almost seems unintentional. Almost every rhyming poem I've read sounds forced, the words chosen to carefully to make the rhyme take place but not in this case; graceful and elegant. Good work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OK here's how well you did the couplet rhymes here...I didn't notice the rhyming until part way through the first stanza. So many are just so heavy-handed with rhyming, but that's not the case here at all. I love how your weave the message with the words and even though it rhymes this is not a Hallmark card sounding poem at all. I feel the longing in the words...well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hmm...would i be way off track if i remarked that this seems to have a religious aspect to it?
It could be the narrator talking to God; i didn't think that until - " But when the time comes, I'll stroll right past that golden gate.//I'll stand before you face to face, and say "Sorry I'm late." " - in the last stanza.
Of course, it could also be the narrator talking to just about anybody that he/she has cared for and let down in life.
I think i like the third stanza the best, as the rhyming seemed less contrived to me.

Thanks for sharing this with me.

p.s. I'm not religious, i just got a vibe from this...that i'm probably mistaken about

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

465 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2008
Last Updated on April 17, 2008

Author

Dominick
Dominick

NY



Writing
My Inferno My Inferno

A Poem by Dominick



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Inferno My Inferno

A Poem by Dominick