My Girl

My Girl

A Poem by Sean Allen
"

A little story about someone I met last year.

"

 

My Girl

Last year on Sept 9th, 2007, I met a young lady who had visited ground zero on Sept 15th 2001 just to offer some help.  Not sure what she could do, she simply painted on a T-shirt something like “If you need a hug, I’m here.”  Going back several times while the rescue and recovery was going on, she became known to the rescue workers simply as the “Hug Lady.”  One of the people she hugged was a Firefighter named Michael.

 

Some weeks afterward, something made her and a fellow volunteer stop outside of one of the hundreds of funerals being held. It turned out to be Michael's brother, who had died in the first tower and whose body had just been found.  She hadn't known about the brother's death, but had seen the same last name on a Firehouse wall.

 

Since that time, Michael has become her boyfriend and considers her “My Girl” which is the title of this poem which was written just for her.  Michael had been in the towers too, and by the grace of God he was helping carry Father Mychal F. Judge, the NYFD Chaplin, out when the second tower came down and his own life was spared.

 

He didn't even know the “Hug Lady” when he raced into the building to save others. But if he, or his brother, or even their father had known her then they would have been thinking about her as they tried to save anyone they could.

 

This poem is dedicated to Michael's brother and the most veteran FDNY Firefighter ever with forty years service, his father.  I never knew them, nor did the “Hug Lady” either. His father had six weeks to go before retirement. Yet even after the first tower fell, he went back into the second tower where he perished. His son Michael was in that building and even though his dad did not know it he rushed in to save Michael, Michael's brother Joseph or Sharon the "Hug Lady" or simply you and me. Some men are heroes, and some we never knew.

  
My Girl
 
They rushed in to save them,
no one that they knew.
Yet, but for God's graces,
it might have been you.
There were some children
and old folks there too.
And that's why they did it,
for their love was true.
While each life was precious,
as doors they walked through.
Through dust and destruction
they thought about you.
We don't know what drives them,
their numbers are few.
Yet some men are heroes…
Here's three… we never knew.
 
Michael and Joseph's father was the longest serving member of the FDNY and he is the number one hero of the day, having gone into that building and a certain death just to rescue strangers.
John 15:13: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

© 2008 Sean Allen


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful tribute, touching. great lines and versification.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very sad but a truly amazing and inspiring story and I think your poem did the story justice.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that's really lovely, :)
---mishel

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is simply beautiful. Sometimes, we have everything to give. This was a wonderful reminder of the power that we hold. And that we can often make a huge difference by giving something so simple as a hug.

Thanks.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is ever so heartfelt and so very beautiful as well as touching, awesome write from your heart.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sean this is such a beautiful tribute to 9 /11. I love the introduction to the poem. It is a very heartwarming story. I'm really glad you shared this story with us. So many times the heart felt story's don't get told. I'm glad this one did. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for paying tribute. I thought of those heroes all day long today and wanted to write a piece myself about that devistating day. You did a wonderful job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 12, 2008
Last Updated on September 12, 2008

Author

Sean Allen
Sean Allen

West Haven, CT



About
I am just a writer! At least I think I am. If I can only convince someone else of that, I will be a happy writer. But until then, I'm just a writer. Check out www.EclipseLogic.com and www.LightO.. more..

Writing
The Song The Song

A Poem by Sean Allen


Petals Petals

A Poem by Sean Allen