The Statue

The Statue

A Poem by Emily
"

My ponderings on the formation of Life and Identity.

"
From within the endless expanse of dark waters,
I hear a voice softly calling my name, summoning me to existence. 
I cannot move. I have no to eyes to see, no ears to hear, no mind to think, and no heart to beat. 
But the words of Life have given me a conscience in this timeless realm of the angels. 

The first act of the Voice is to give me Touch.
He is a craftsman, infinite in skill and wisdom, capable and trustworthy to turn my stone self into one of flesh and blood and passion. 

I feel His chisel as it chips away at me, sometimes with gentle delicacy and sometimes with stern blows. 
Each speck of dust shaved off is painful, but it is also a weight off my bent and breaking back. 
Slowly, surely, my true form begins to emerge from the slab of rock as the Craftsman fulfills his design. 

It is hard to let go of the pieces of myself that fall under the chisel and hammer. After all, they are a part of me. But the Craftsman is stern: the extraneous pieces must go. They only prevent the fulfillment of His predetermined plan for my life. 

It is excruciating, but after the tormentuous struggle within my stone heart, I finally surrender myself fully to the plan of my Creator.

My heart starts to beat.

In the peace that follows my surrender, I begin to meditate on the goodness and persistence of the hands that shape me. 

My brain pulses into existence.

I am nearing completion. I can sense that that my Maker is pleased but not done. I have learned to wait patiently for His instruction.

My ears explode with aliveness

I do not know what else He has in store for me, but His calloused hands have not failed me yet. I trust His plan for me completely. 

My eyes snap open.

Now, I can see for myself just what the Maker has done. He has transformed me from a useless slab of granite into an intricately glorious work of art. I see His plan for me as clearly as I see His face before me, eternal eyes gleaming and ageless smile beaming.
 
He marks me as His own with a kiss on my brow. 

His thundering velvet voice penetrates my being like liquid fire, which sends the life-blood pulsing through my veins. He whispers to my soul, 
"Beloved, you are mine."

© 2012 Emily


Author's Note

Emily
Please be honest!- This is a raw outflowing of my emotions and my first piece of writing of this style. I appreciate any feedback!
This whole passage was inspired by my sort of interpretation of Ephesians 2:10 "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is just lovely
thank you for sharing

Posted 11 Years Ago


im not good with reviews so i try to avoid them but this is very good

Posted 11 Years Ago


We are the clay and He is the potter, creating us in His own perfect image.
Well done my friend, on this wonderfully written masterpiece. I always enjoy reading your work and this has been my favorite so far! I love how you took a passage of scripture and formed it into your own words, making every line a vivid description of His work in us.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I don't usually read pieces with a religion perspective but I liked this very much, taking something and molding it to a better character, something living and breathing who's always evolving.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm not really all that great at reviews, but I really do like this one. It displays that it takes time for Him to work His will in our lives and how at times it is hard for us to let go of certain parts of us, but He knows in the long run that it is best for us. Once we learn to listen, trust, and obey Him is when we start to become a beautiful work of art. I like the ending the most of all, great descriptive words in this write.

Good Job

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like how you describe the feeling of the characters struggles to understand her creators vision and plan. This is definitely a style you are good at.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily

11 Years Ago

Thank you! This is definitely the type of writing that I'm drawn to. I love pieces that involve a tr.. read more
persistence of someone trying to mold us into what he or she wants to see and feel.

but we must be ourselves...chiseled within ourselves to who we are.

and statues can't be fun to be with, they don't move.

just thoughts.

this is a very strong piece of writing...like it much.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily

11 Years Ago

I wrote this from a more religious perspective, so I was not intending it to be taken as someone all.. read more
a beautiful outflow.....you my friend are a writer. Don't stop writing....ever :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your encouragement. I don't plan to stop! :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

746 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2012
Last Updated on December 19, 2012
Tags: statue, marble, christian, spiritual, struggle, craftsman, granite, alive, identity, beloved, plan, first, prose

Author

Emily
Emily

WA



About
"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world." -C.S Lewis I find that I am able to express.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Of Pain Of Pain

A Poem by Emily


sirens sirens

A Poem by quinfinn