THE SHORT AND THE TALL STRAW

THE SHORT AND THE TALL STRAW

A Story by Elmarie
"

Now We have it All

"

 

THE SHORT AND THE TALL STRAW


When I first laid eyes on you I shuddered in my little vinyl boots. You were taller than any living soul I had ever beheld.  With short back and sides you looked like a villain from my home town.  How did you even get a pair of pants to fit you.  I was an orphan at seven, had experienced painful abandonment,  sorrow, and cruelty enough for a lifetime.  Yet you came to  adopt me.  You lost your little boy and was so wrapped up in the pain that you searched for a life to shed some light on your darkest hours.



 How could you ever think I could replace Carl?  I was so broken you should have known.  Well there I was and you took me into your care.  Two people who had lost it all.  I tried to be nice but you wanted me to be Carl.  I was Suzie with my tiny face and curly red hair that looked like a mop on a bad day..... not your little boy!   Before we knew it we were in a routine of avoidance as I desperately tried not to disappoint you with my girly non Carlness. 



You searched for him in me from the boyish clothes you brought, to the baseball you tried to get me to play.  Then one day I snapped and yelled so loud that you sat down.  "Please do not look at me like that" I said.  "You are not seeing me, you are looking for Carl".  That was the moment you felt your true loss.  I could see the light fade from your handsome face for good that day. You lost your fight and you slouched and dragged your feet for days, weeks and it felt like eternity. 



Slowly I took your hand and looked up at you. "Bert" I said "Do you want to play with me, I am going to bake a mud cake".  I realised that in my petite little body I had the enormous power to love you.  You sat there scooping the dirt, mixing as I added water, leaves, flowers and stones.  At one stage I chucked in some more fake chocolate and there as bright green as you could get was a teeny little dinosaur.  Carl's illuminated stegosaurus had risen from the dead. 



I held you so tight that day as you sobbed and cried till you had no more tears.  That was the moment our souls truly met.  We put the Stegosaurus on top of the cake and put it on Carls grave for his birthday.  Bert you are my hero my father my friend.  Now many years on I have kids of my own and know that I could never have wished for a better grandfather for my two children .  Thank you my beautiful friend,  and saviour, you rescued me and gave me a life that I can be happy with.  You and me were meant to be.  We were the short and the long straw.  Now we have it all.

 

© 2016 Elmarie


Author's Note

Elmarie
Just a story I wrote. Hope you enjoy it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You are an amazing writer. I felt the sadness of the bereveaved father, his hopes of finding that child in the little girl. The little girls insight and understanding...The story captures the essence of a situation of loss and the behaviour of people suffering the loss, in a very natural and effective way. It has a poignant message too. I appreciate it so much. Please add more writing on Writer's Cafe.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

a memorable story ... she looks back ... sits in the present .. and looks for the future ... you cover a lot of ground Elmarie! I haven't seen you around for such a long time .. wondering if you are still on the Cafe'?? waiting for adoption must be a very frightening experience for all involved .. funny how all parents can make the mistake of seeing what we want to see in our children ... forcing them into a mold they just don't fit :( i especially like your happy ending ... they should all be such eh!? miss ya girl! :)
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


So heartbreaking and heartfelt. I really enjoyed this story. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there like that. Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elmarie

7 Years Ago

Thank you Esteban for the lovely review. :) El
You have a beautiful talent you show it in your writing thank you for sharing them with us :) Larry

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elmarie

7 Years Ago

Thank you Larry :)
It is beautiful. You have written about the loss of two people in one of the best ways possible and how they overcame with that by being with each other. That is what life is, you lose some loved ones, and somehow, you get the strength to live.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elmarie

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words. Blessings El
You are an amazing writer. I felt the sadness of the bereveaved father, his hopes of finding that child in the little girl. The little girls insight and understanding...The story captures the essence of a situation of loss and the behaviour of people suffering the loss, in a very natural and effective way. It has a poignant message too. I appreciate it so much. Please add more writing on Writer's Cafe.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Two lost souls that fate brought together to eventually unite in symbiotic harmony !

A beautifully penned emotional tale, brimming over with the milk of human kindness !



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elmarie

7 Years Ago

Kind words Thanks Tom :)
That was truly beautiful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Elmarie

7 Years Ago

Thank you Sydney. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2016
Last Updated on May 5, 2016

Author

Elmarie
Elmarie

New South Wales, Australia



About
My childhood memories are filled with stories in spoken word. My Mother and Grandmother always told us tales. I honestly can't remember my mother ever reading to me. I have done the same for my kid.. more..

Writing
TRUST TRUST

A Poem by Elmarie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


To Apo To Apo

A Poem by gabrielle