Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock

Chapter three

“Mum is going to love this,” Alex grinned as she paid for the black leather briefcase.


Ryan; her brother, picked up the wrapped gift and began to leave the store, “you’re right Al, she will be so thrilled.”


The two felt giddy leaving the high street building, gliding around men and women with tons of shopping bags. Ryan started to lag behind, stopping to look through the glass of a digital store. A new camera caught his eye. It was sleek black, expensive looking and boy, did he want it.


Alex rolled her eyes as she turned to see her brother with his nose pushed up against the glass. Commuters started to tut and snicker at the girl walking slowly trying to wait for the boy. Grunting, she took off into a sprint dodging the oncoming traffic. It took Ryan a few moments to figure out Alex has left him. Exhaling, he rushed forward trying to catch up with the tall blonde. He followed her ponytail which he could see swinging even through the sea of people.

Alex panted looking towards her twin, who was still a few feet behind her.


“Ryan, hurry up, Mum will murder us if we’re late!” Her lips curled into a smirk as Ryan threw a stick at his twin, missing by a long shot.


“She will understand you know,” Ryan replied, eventually catching up to his sister.


She was about an inch taller than him, and she made sure to hold it over him. Her nose crinkled at his words - the same small rounded nose that dawns his own pale face. Walking down the cobble stoned street, the siblings decided to take a shortcut through an abandoned alleyway.


They walked a few feet before a low rumble came from behind them. Alex stopped abruptly. Turning swiftly, she pushed Ryan out of the way. A protested grunt left his lips as he fell to the ground ahead of Alex.


After a few moments the sound stopped, curiously Alex turned behind her again and stepped forward. Ryan was up and in seconds pulling on his sisters sleeve, silently pleading her not to move another step. Her expression softened.


“Hey, it’s okay now- where did the bag go?” Alex quizzed.


“I swear it rolled to the side of me!” Ryan countered, his hands flying up in defence.

Alex’s nostrils flared. Any other time she wouldn’t mind being a little late, but today is  not that day… Not when their mother was graduating law school - she had worked too hard. She deserved something special.


“Come on, where did it roll too?” Ryan pointed behind them and they began walking. A warm breeze interrupted the cool air of London as the cobbled walkway turned into a crunchy floor with leaves and bark scattered.


“What the-” Alex tumbled onto the ground with a thud. Ryan kicked the stick that had caused it. Turning back around he tried walking the way they came with no avail. The alleyway was gone.


Standing up, Alex rushed past her brother, spinning around frantically. Her breathing was uneven as she surveyed their current location. It was warmer here but not by a lot - their winter coats would still be necessary.


The tree casted a shadow over her brothers face, she could see the terror on his features.


Where are we? More importantly how do we get home?


Alex walked up to Ryan as it started to drizzle, “we should find shelter.”


She rubbed his shoulder soothingly. Shrugging her off, Ryan took a deep breath trying to calm down.


“Shelter? I want to go home!” He yelled tears formed in his hazel eyes, he jerked out of Alex’s grip, stalking off.


He saw the brightly coloured store bag laying a few feet away. Reaching for it, he wiped off the dirt and began carrying it back to his sister. Alex stopped walking, wiping away her tears as Ryan neared. He handed her the bag; they shared a look.


Looking up to the sky, the realisation of their current situation hit them harder than the pelting rain hitting their tear stained faces.

Ryan felt like he had been walking for days by the time he and Alex stopped for a break. Alex grabbed the bottle of water from the bag and took some sips before handing it to Ryan. Alex tried not to show how terrified she was, with no way home - she didn’t even know where they were. They could be in the middle of a forest somewhere for all she knew.


“At least we know what the rumbling was about,” her brother muttered bitterly, closing the lid and placing it back into the plastic bag.


She was suddenly grateful Ryan asked for a plastic bag and not just grabbing the usual paper bags the store carried.


A crack sounded from the distance which startled the siblings. Jumping up, they hid behind a nearby tree trunk. The footsteps were getting closer, the closer they came the more it became apparent to Alex and Ryan there was more than one person walking. Ryan sighed with relief, ready to step out from behind the tree to call them over.


Alex pulled him back behind the tree as she saw what the people were dressed in; silver shirts that looked like armour was worn by each man. As one turned their body she was what looked to be a sword frowning she contemplated what the hell that was all about.


“Oi, you there! Come out from there I see you!” A man shouted, and reluctantly both teens followed his instruction; Ryan looked ready to laugh as he stepped out observing what the men were wearing. The man was tall, his face seasoned.


“Who are you?” another shorter man asked eying them cautiously.


“My name’s Ryan,” pointing to his sister; “this is Alex, we’re from London. Do you happen to know where we are? - we got lost you see, no idea how we got here.” Ryan stuttered almost the entire way through their introductory.


The two men looked at each other smirking before turning to the others.


“Seize them.” The taller man barked out.


Ryan laughed, “okay guys the gig is up, c’mon where are we?” He shook his head at the nonsense, clearly the men were playing a medieval role play of some sort.


Two men launched forward grabbing them both. Alex tried to kick them away. He was too strong and soon was holding the petite girl in place. Ryan’s face fell he managed to dodge his attacker and threw a punch which the man ducked expertly and captured his elbow harshly making Ryan stand in place.


Alex and Ryan shared a look of trepidation.


“We take them to the Queen,” the shorter male said grinning sickly towards the frightened teenagers.  


They began to walk onwards, both teens sharing another look towards each other.



Where are they taking us?



© 2018 Emma Hiscock


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on March 7, 2018
Last Updated on March 7, 2018
Tags: Fantasy, Young Adult, Teen Fiction, New Adult, Fiction, Romance, Friendship, Mystery, Magical Realism.


Author

Emma Hiscock
Emma Hiscock

Melton, Victoria, VIC, Australia



About
20, Make-up Artist. Hi, I've been obsessed with reading and writing my whole life i hope you'll like some of the work i publish on here. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock