Safe Under the Covers

Safe Under the Covers

A Story by Wonderland Asylum
"

This is just a little something that I had to do for my english class around Halloween. My teacher loved it, so why not share it with y'all?

"

Tonight’s like every other night.  You lay there, in the dark and silence, alone, with no company other than you thoughts.  You shift and roll throughout your bed, just you and your thoughts.  You ponder, you plan, and fantasize: anything to distract you from the ringing silence, silence that surrounds you.  

You hear a creak, a common sound on such a still night, but you still recoil when the sound reaches your ears.  You hear this same exact sound every night. But the sheer unexpectedness sets off a trigger in your head, as paranoia begins to take over.  The things that once illuminated your thoughts, have now darkened.  What was once pleasure and success has now turned into demons and killers.  

The silence that your mind was distracting you from has now become the focus.  You lay there, silent, listening to any obscure sound, hoping that the silence doesn't leave.  Every little noise adds to your paranoia, and the silence lingers as you await the next unexpected occurrence.  You're too scared to open your eyes, afraid of seeing what your mind can conjure.  You lay there in fear.  

You might have developed nyctophobia,....or is it just your paranoia?

The fear builds in your mind as you try to find a quick escape from whatever it creates.  You revert to your childhood solution, hiding under the covers.  You pull the covers over your head, and lay in silence.  You hear noises, but they don't seem as scary.  You figure they don't see you, that you're safe.  The heat builds up under your blanket, but you put up with it, simply for the comfort it supplies.  You begin to calm down and relax, and revert back to your usual logical self.  

It's just you and your thoughts again, alone, under the blankets.  You think of how silly it was to get so scare over a silly, little noise.  Eyes closed, you lift the blanket off your face as the built up heat is released.  You breathe a sigh of relief, and roll over, only to hear a deep, grating voice whisper, “Oh, there you are,” as the sounds of footsteps creeps towards your bed.

© 2018 Wonderland Asylum


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As I was reading this I got chills. Amazing. I loved the repetition you used with the character being alone with their thoughts. It put me on edge and at the same time comforted me, until the very end. I wonder, could be a possibility that the thoughts is what speaks to the character at the end? After all, children get scared over things in their head, not real life. That was just my angle of it. Really good :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I loved this afjahskf it was so psychologically terrifying just to be inside my own head

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good story. I can truly relate to this, especially during my darkest days

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was totally able to consciate myself with the situation.
The end was also really petrifying. I awestruck, started to scroll down for further drama but yess. ..
The end was amazing to say and content was also a great read..
Keep writing...
In wait of your other writings.


Beatitude sunshine

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i enjoyed this. i think we can all relate. didn't expect that ending - clever, telling & reinforces the whole piece. nice work ...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed alot reading your composition and I could relate myself to it.. Sometimes I have encountered such situation and the way you put the emotions in this is so strong..
Brilliant work..!


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderland Asylum

6 Years Ago

Thank-you so much!
It means a lot to me that you (as well as many other readers) are able to .. read more
Amrita

6 Years Ago

I love and enjoy your writings my friend..
Keep writing and sharing :)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

712 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 19, 2018
Last Updated on February 21, 2018

Author

Wonderland Asylum
Wonderland Asylum

Reedley, CA



About
Alternative, shy, loves music. I typically keep to myself, and am not very expressive. But when I write, it's like I'm some place else. I've been gone for a while, and I'm working on getting back.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..