Heart Full Of Blood

Heart Full Of Blood

A Poem by Devons

It's just an old story

somewhere fading away

between the end and another beginning

It begins with romance

and ends with nothing

but an inconclusive post-mortem

Murder or suicide

or accidental death

love's just a future laid to waste

All the plans and the pledges

the laughter and the hope

re-buried treasures marked with an X

Though the body's still warm

and the heart full of blood

pain's just a memory of how we once were

The corpse will dry up

and remains will be ashes

stratified hurt absorbed by time


But between now and then

the damaged clock ticks

and the injury ebbs away slow


Love's killed on the spot

where the flowers should be

all dressed-up with nowhere to go

© 2010 Devons


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A cynical take on love and pain itself, but hauntingly true. I particularly enjoyed the last stanza. It makes me think, yes what's the point of giving the dead, the love-sick at that, pretty bouquets of flowers that are just going to die as well. This almost makes me feel like, what's the point in loving --> "love's just a future laid to rest" right? Great write once again...you always outdo yourself.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ah, a twisted, but welcome, break from the typical love poem.

"All the plans and the pledges
the laughter and the hope
re-buried treasures marked with an X

Though the body's still warm
and the heart full of blood
pain's just a memory of how we once were"

Bitterly sad, as the others said, yet very true. People have such an idealistic view of love, but often don't realize what they're doing to themselves with it. Great work, nothing less than I would have expected from you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This poem takes a look at how we as human beings react or bear the pain of love. 'plans and pledges, laughter and hope, re-buried marked with an x' Its so true, how when we fall in love we dont just love the person but we also love the future we see, the children we will bring to the world, the house we will live in etc. When that love is killed we face the fact of not only loosing that person but our future we also imagined. Like you said time will absorb the pain so its only for us to brace ourselves and get through it for the duration and go from an end to a new beginning.

Posted 13 Years Ago


a lovely, jaded, and realistic view of love and love lost. it's wonderful to see ageless topics refreshed with beautiful thinking and amazing writing. well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Powerful, vivid poem!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm interested in the body metaphor here, which belies the cynicism of the piece. This relationship was important enough to the narrator to constitute a separate body. All the forensic trappings remain even when the life's gone out of it. And it will be investigated, parties tried, verdicts handed down. Or even if not subjected to such formal inspection, the damage is done, levies assessed. This suggests a macabre rendering of something vital and irreplaceable.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You are like the Skit "Laser Cats" but with a laser cat that shoots anti love sentiment juice......lol. Man this is a little depressing I must say, as a hopeless romantic I always hope that this is not true, but the older I get, the more it seems so...but really I can't help but to think that there are people out there that life would be a ball full of bliss with forever if you could just find them. I am going to clone myself, give my self a sex change and then make love to myself all night long...woohooo....I know I love me. What if I dont? Beautiful stuff as always my skeptic friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


a poignant piece about past loves lost...and love's sad refrain plays and replays once again ...if only we all could get it right once in a while..... perhaps it would save much misery and pain extremely well penned and expressed write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


ah this is sadness to me.. cynical and only gently acerbic. it feels reflective, as told by a survivor of many lost loves.. how do you bring to mind such a vivid image with so few descriptions?
this one aches like a lost limb...

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
love never dies..or does it? Your insightful cynical take on that special feeling...nothing like a dose of romance to keep the fires burning..! You never fail to deliver a interesting view point and this no disappointment..

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

582 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 10, 2010
Last Updated on November 10, 2010

Author

Devons
Devons

South West, United Kingdom



About
WE BREAK ACROSS THESE TRAM LINES I DRAW by Haz I draw them with lines of reflections through their steps enough space between them for your space.. more..

Writing
O Superman O Superman

A Poem by Devons



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..