Storm

Storm

A Poem by Giulia King

She feels the walls caving in,
she takes a look in the mirror,
disgusted by what she sees. 
"I wish I was braver,
prettier,
...more like her." 
She says shivering.
No one seems to understand her.
Her mind wants to find home.
She is like a shadow in this world.
A chapter of her soul, no one has read yet.
A lonely soul that's allergic to other people.
They affect her too much.
She keeps wandering off to greater places.
So unhappily in love with another world.
A world where she belongs.
So, alone she sits in the dark.
Dreaming away to a place where the stars shine brightly for her. 
...
Sadness hits her like a knife in the back at 3am.
She takes a steaming, hot shower trying desperately to scrub off all the bad voices.
Her head is a storm.
She has forgotten the passion she used to have for life,
her personality has become a burden.
She feels the water dripping on her skin like acid.
She turns off the shower and takes a deep breath.
... 


© 2017 Giulia King


Author's Note

Giulia King
"This too shall pass" right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this is a good write Gullia. disturbing but very well written indeed. as usual many great lines. strong, painful, uncomfortable imagery. definately a troubled soul. can feel the torment. a real downer. 'She is like a shadow in this world.
A chapter of her soul, no one has read yet.
A lonely soul that's allergic to other people.'
'Sadness hits her like a knife in the back at 3am.'
'her personality has become a burden.' - excellent lines. loved them. great title & pic goes so well.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Giulia King

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Pete! I always look forward to your reviews :)



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Hi
The best self always loves and reaffirms. All to often we mock by what we should or could be. It makes it near impossible to believe anyone understands when we're not fair with ourselves. The mirror is you, and expression of your hopes and dreams/ doubts and fears. Regardless whether you compare yourself to yourself or others it's best practice to be fair. It also lends to more balanced poetry. Still, the feelings in your work come through.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is some beautiful creative writing. Loved it. Bravo.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Giulia King

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)
beautiful...i have no words for your poetry!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Giulia King

6 Years Ago

Thank you for all your sweet reviews dear! Means a lot to me :)
Wajiha Nayeem

6 Years Ago

aww...welcome dear!
Those beginning chapters can be the worst and yet the best times we'll have. Doubt and misgivings lessen as we grow into our lives and accept the gifts we have been given.

As Reinhold Niebuhr so aptly wrote

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Well written piece here, Gullia. Good work

Posted 7 Years Ago


It may take some time but yes, I believe this too will pass. I have seen crippling depression put friends and relatives into the sanitorium and they have emerged - cracked a little but mended enough to enjoy a life.

When we compare ourselves to others we will always come up short (ironically enough those we use as a yardstick are often coming up short in their own comparisons with others).

A brave piece of writing. Well penned Gullia.

The image you used - I was mesmerised - awesome!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Giulia King

6 Years Ago

Hey Tony! Sorry for responding so late. Thank you for reading this piece - now months ago, but still.. read more
Tony Jordan

6 Years Ago

no, no need to apologise Gullia.
All good here. I hope you're well my friend. You're missed h.. read more
I always love it when a poem gives a new perspective to a fairly common belief. In this case, I think your "chapter" metaphor helped to do that. My favorite parts of this piece had to be the title and the line "A chapter of her soul, no one had yet read." They're both so subtle yet so strong ... I like how they show that others fail to see the speaker's sorrow, no matter how bad it gets for her. I also love the theme of trying to cope in general because it shows how we (as humans) can still strive for happiness despite the lack thereof. To top it off, the picture at the end was lovely. Nice work : )

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


Giulia King

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words and for this amazing review, William! I'm happy you liked this one :)
You always woo me with your words and how they flows so well in your writing...

Posted 7 Years Ago


Giulia King

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words!
Wow girl! Yes this too shall pass!! Powerful words. Life can feel like the heaviest weight. You captured that here. We often forget the power we have. We allow the thoughts or our desires take over us. Sometimes its easier that way because in a weird sense if we can still feel the past then it is still with us...This speaks to me because I have lived in this spot. I lived there too long. I had to decide to leave it. I didn't want to...But I did. This reminds me of myself. Awesome Write. I needed this today. Thank you for being such a great writer!
For me I had to start a new chapter...'Plot twist' check it out!
Tabby

Posted 7 Years Ago


Giulia King

7 Years Ago

Thank you for this amazing review, Tabby! Your words make me happy and I can see a light at the end .. read more
Tabby Mac

7 Years Ago

BIG HUG BACK!!!
This poem greatly hit me. Wanting to be understand yet always being misunderstand.

I love how you construct your lines. Very catchy and nice such as these.. I really love these lines.

"No one seems to understand her.
Her mind wants to find home.
She is like a shadow in this world.
A chapter of her soul, no one has read yet.
A lonely soul that's allergic to other people.
So unhappily in love with another world.
A world where she belongs.
So, alone she sits in the dark.
Dreaming away to a place where the stars shine brightly for her. "

Thanks for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Giulia King

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading! I'm happy you found some lines that you love :)
This was so beautifully set up..the right typeset..the right form..it was painful ..makes the reader want to actively help the girl ..help her write a new better chapter..

Posted 7 Years Ago


Giulia King

7 Years Ago

I'm happy this piece made you feel some type of way. Thank you for reading

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1797 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on March 15, 2017
Last Updated on October 31, 2017

Author

Giulia King
Giulia King

New York, NY



About
more..

Writing
Ink Ink

A Poem by Giulia King



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Twelve Shoes Twelve Shoes

A Poem by Gee