In An Instant

In An Instant

A Story by Gee
"

How life can change oh so quickly

"
I sat quietly watching her. She drank coffee whilst flicking through a gossipy magazine, pausing briefly every now and again to read a few lines or study a photo. I smiled to myself remembering our meeting, the pair of us worse for wear, booze, in a crowded Tenerife bar. We pretty much spent the whole of the next week together, drinking, laughing, loving.
When back in the UK 400 miles separated us , Scotland her home, England mine. As promised, a letter, the first of many written by, lay waiting on her return from holiday (she had stayed on for an extra week ). I told her over and over how much I loved her, missed her, needed her, and that one day we would be married. That was June 1991.
October 1991 she moved down to be at my side. We married in October 1993.
Our daughter was born in November 2000, her mother's double. Beautiful, funny, clever, a most warm, generous human being, the Apple, orchard of my eye. Life has been nothing but great....25years of bliss.

" Have you any regrets " she once asked me, meaning of our life together.

" Only that we didn't meet earlier."

The doorbell rang. She placed the magazine on the cushion beside her.

" Mrs Jacky Stevenson " asked the young policeman.

" Yes, is there something wrong ? "

" Can we come inside Jacky" asked the young WPC.

As I left, she sat in stunned silence.......





© 2018 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Hope you enjoyed. This is very much true to my life (apart from my demise.... obviously)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoy these types of endings, though not in a morbid way mind you. It does it's job and I can appreciate the work. Also, I didn't catch it right away.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you Trajan
I very much enjoyed how the soft and gentle flow of the memories at the beginning then got so abruptly interrupted by the current reality. Nicely written!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Cheers Julia
Nice twist at the end there!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you. True story until the last wee bit
Whoa-ho! Took me a minute, but well done. Sweet with a little bump-in-the-night at the end. Really liked this.
Needs a period after "...didn't meet earlier."
And a question mark after "...is there something wrong?"
Again, a very sweet offering.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Apologies for my punctuation and grammar. I never took a great deal of notice at school, hence my la.. read more
Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

No lack of qualifications, dude, the content is excellent. A period? A question mark? Would that .. read more
I had to study the ending for a bit to get things clear. Everything seemed to be aimed at Jacky, then came the twist. Very good, captivating writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you Samuel
Wow! I fell into your story and crash landed with the surprise ending. It reminded me of the second season finale to the show 'Afterlife' starring Andrew Lincoln. If not for 'The Walking Dead,' I probably would have never known about his roll in that series. The only bad thing about it is that it was only two seasons long, but what a great show. Thank you for the story and for the remembrance.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you kindly
What an ending. Took me a while to get it but when I did! Tragic and wistful.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Cheers Ken. Selfishly I hope to be snatched before my good lady wife
Very apt title. Life can go so well, only to be suddenly change in an instant. Our existences are so fragile that they can be turned upside down in one day.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Indeed they can. Thank you Clifford
PS. I think I may have misunderstood your story, after reading the other poets comments. I will have to re-read your story, although I think I may prefer my interpretation!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Oh, I want to know more!!!! What happened to the lovely young man, and why did the WPC come?
But your message is very pertinent. It is very difficult to judge (in the sense of 'know') a character these days. I have known people, become friends, only to find out that they were not quite what they said they were!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

The lovely young man was actually the soul of the that day tragically killed husband seeing his life.. read more
Great Aunt Astri

6 Years Ago

Oh yes, on re-reading, and now realising what a WPC is, it does make different sense. Not spooky at.. read more
Great Aunt Astri

6 Years Ago

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Ws5PLyFNwXgK7V6eoY7rMwEsDQ&w=282&h=196&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2241 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 20, 2017
Last Updated on March 20, 2018
Tags: Love, life, death

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lawn King Lawn King

A Poem by D Connolly