~ Free-fall from the Edge ~

~ Free-fall from the Edge ~

A Poem by J. Hampton
"

Parenting my young ladies sometimes is like ...being a mute lifeguard for the deaf from 100 yards away... " You bet I pray "

"

 

You struggle to navigate
your inner-mood
entangled by
the web of
outer-attitude

the pathway
from former days
is over-grown

Sis
you burned up all your bridges
long ago

so don’t go...
the race is longer that it looks
so run it slow

God left you here
with me
to lean upon

so dont go...
you’re not ready
to be killed
by what
you dont know

Everytime I turn my back
you're at the edge
circling
an escape
inside your head

I try to pull you back
yet let you be
free-falling
from the edge
just-out-of-reach
eternally


J. Hampton 2008
Blesssssssssssssssssssss

 
 
 

© 2008 J. Hampton


Author's Note

J. Hampton
Parenting....should be an Olympic Sport

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's something that I've only seen...hopefully my daughter and her mother will never have to go thru that. There seems to always be that struggle b/w the two in those tough teenage years. Kids think they know it all, anyway. That's why we tell them to dream in the first place.

Keep doing what you do. Soon she'll understand.

Nice write. Great quote to start the piece. Flowing as usual. Keep scribing, mama.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very very meaningful and deep. Portrays a strong understanding of the endless struggles parents go thru to protect there children a very well written piece

Posted 14 Years Ago


I am not a parent, but I'm sure you capture the spirit of it quite well if your words. I like the stop and starts and the free-form feel of it - it really adds to the message that you're getting across. It's a little scattered at points, but I'm quite sure that that's what you were going for - it's a nice effect. I'm actually reminded a little of Ferlinghetti - did he influence your style?

Great job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow-I relate some what to this write in a different sort of way...We all have our trials with our kids. How many daughters do you have?? Very intuitive write, Jen! You know just how to say it! hugs, carole

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you're at the edge
circling
an escape
inside your head-------I liked this, those brassy bold girls we were too. parenting must be a hard job for the sucess of raising kids must somehow have too many variables and so the more parenting without the figure the less successful, you did a great poem on it, do your daughters read poetry, too? everything will be shown in a few :=). all will be perfect. last stanza said it, this going out of reach, it's only temporarilly. great job. I enjoyed it, for there is just releasing of thoughts but no frustration at all. Missed you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Olympic Sport indeed, something along the lines of a marathon. And just when you think you've made it to the finish... oops, here comes grand-parenting. Oi Vey!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Many people try to paint the beautiful picture instead of revealing the "average" household. I think there comes the time when mother and child conflict like reversing pole magnets. In my eyes, I believe it's that feminine "divine". It's the most powerful force their is, so we can only expect to have those times when we disagree.

In the end, love is still known to exist. That is what will get each of you through the storm.

Love!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

amen to that. This is awesome poetry here, very 'spoken word' very heartfelt, I think my favorite is the first stanza, but you always put that fire into your work.
Wonderfully done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Here, here!!! I couldn't agree more with your spin on parenting. What a nightmare it is and you have put that onto the page with gusto and courage...as always Jen. Your last stanza says it all, we have to let out the rope little by little until they are free falling and we need to allow them decide where they land.
Kudos Jen...terrific work.
Helen xxx

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great poem about how we feel about our children and how we try to teach them along the way - well done. My one suggestion is I believe in the fourth stanza you mean to say - 'that race is longer than it looks' - otherwise a great endeavor - thank you. As a parent, I understand these words tenfold.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


For me you evoked the image of a mother bird trying to hold her fledgings back as they fight to test their wings. Even though that image isn't there in your writing, the feel of it is. The powerful, painful and loving struggle of that endless tug-of-war between parent and child, wisdom and eagerness, youth and experience is wonderfully and poignantly told here.

One tiny mistake - you're - "your at the edge"

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

674 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 30, 2008
Last Updated on May 3, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~ I Cry ~ ~ I Cry ~

A Poem by J. Hampton