Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Carthage Thorne| The Wildcard
"

Forced entry...

"

The door handle shook slightly as the keys to the house was inserted into it, and Lazarus turning the key, opened the door to what had been his home for past four years. The house was small and quite dilapidated. When it rained, it leaked often… they didn’t have any money, and neither did the landlord to get roofers out to fix the place. The good thing was, rent matched the situation as it was super cheap but Lazarus and his mom were dirt broke anyway, it was hard enough paying for rent as it was. Especially since Lazarus had been trying to remain having enough money for the medicine that his mother required, her being so ill. 

            Not even pulling off his jacket, he went immediately to the draw to grab the medicine he knew that his mother had to take regularly. It was the very last of it, and Lazarus knew that he had to go get some more, more than likely would steal for it as he had done the last time. Part of the reason why he was in the mess he was in, or at very least… trying to avoid it. Calling to the only official room of the house where he knew his mother would be he said, “Hey Mom I’m back finally. School was alright.” His footsteps made their way to the entrance of the room, however he paused midstride. First of all, he didn’t hear the usual cough, a response his mother would always give him whenever he called out to her and she knew that he was home. She hardly was ever able to sleep, the condition of her illness was torturous that way. 

            The door to her room was left fully ajar, which he was sure that he’d left it leaning just barely when he had left earlier that morning. One of those few times she was asleep, and he knew that if only for a short while he would do his best to sneak out as quietly as possible and let her rest. Lord knew she needed it. He specifically recalled going to the door, and closing it to the point where it was almost shut. His mother was too weak to get out of bed, so there was no other explanation as to why the door was hanging open as it was. Then it hit him. That realization, and funny feeling he had felt when he entered the house. It was the silence, dead silence… he also knew for sure that he had left the TV on, but now it was off. 

            Heart suddenly jacked into a fast pace, as he ran forward to his mother’s room and entered it, calling out. “Mom!” Entering the room, his eyes scanned instantly to her sick bed, where she had been bedridden for going on a little over three years now. She was gone! She was not in the bed, where she was supposed to be, where he had left her. His mind grew frantic, where is she? What happened to her? Dashing over to the side of the bed, he check to see if may she had fallen over… perhaps? No, still not there. She was nowhere, but where was she? Lazarus’ skin began to sweat, the worst thoughts imaginable came into his head. What if the gang came and took her? Were now holding her hostage? Because of him? That thing he saw, and should not have seen and now wished more than ever he did not see. Oh what have I done? Turning around, Lazarus ran out the front door, and dashed the front yard and went out into the street, almost getting hit by a car but not quite as it halted on screeching tires and honked in anger. Lazarus didn’t hear it though, he just ran to the door of the only neighbor in the hood where he knew lived an older African-American man from the south, he was about the nicest person you could know once you got to know him. Uncle Charlie Ray SR, or just Uncle Charlie as Lazarus called him. 

The man who had taught him everything he knew on survive. Taught him about fighting, and how to fight. His feet scorched the sidewalk up to the door, and his hand came banging on it. He banged harder, when the door suddenly opened up and he was suddenly embraced by the older man when Lazarus stumbled forward. Tears started streaming out of his face, and Lazarus was about to tell him what had happened or what he found… when the man’s voice, deep and mellow tone spoke… “I was wondering when you would get back.” 

He said, clutching Lazarus to his chest, Lazarus looked up at him and took a step back and asked. “What happened?”  

Crouching down to Lazarus’ level, since the man stood at 6’6, he said… “The ambulance came and picked your mother up Lazarus, she has been taken to the hospital. Neighbor said they head a crash, and immediately called 911.” Handing Lazarus a tissue the man said, “now come on I will take you to her.” Lazarus’ body was on the brink of shaking uncontrollably. But for now he kept it cool. He was not going to let himself be overwhelmed, as the news was not nearly as bad as he had feared. Without a word, Lazarus followed Uncle Charlie to his car, they got in. Backing out of the small drive, they headed to the main hospital. As they drove up the road, a moment passed before the sound of a second car engine started, and then followed them from a distance.



© 2019 Carthage Thorne| The Wildcard


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on January 24, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2019


Author

Carthage Thorne| The Wildcard
Carthage Thorne| The Wildcard

Oklahoma City, OK



About
Salutations, this is Carthage Thorne and welcome to my profile info page. I am returning from what has been a somewhat long absence to the café. But am back with fresh/new content to share... more..

Writing