The Talipot and the Bee

The Talipot and the Bee

A Story by LastMonth
"

Friendship begins with mutual benefits. It is when those benefits go, that real friendship can truely begin.

"

In the south of Africa, there are many animals that roam free. But this is not the tale of a lion or tiger, but a bee! A bumblebee, fat and content, for a little animal, Africa is heaven sent. Her name did not matter, neither did her form, all that you need know, is where she is from.


For in Southern Africa, many legends still live. It doesn't quite matter,in what god you believe. A great white lion, with a mane that flows without end, and a parrot that can actually speak, without a need to pretend!


But one majestic creature indeed, only needed pure sunlight if it wanted to feed. A beast of a plant, by no means was it small. Trust me this one was huge, it stood quite very tall.


But don't forget for a moment, this story's heroine. I'm not trying to stray, but there's a lot to fit in. A young little bee, flying with delight, she had glee in her eyes, and a bounce in her flight.


Travelling the land, searching far and wide she did, she knew that the most succulent of nectar, nature so often hid. Many flowers she tasted, sitting on her bum. A straw in her mouth, some tasted almost like rum. Their petals would accept her, and rejoice in her sight, for she carried their future, and carried on their plight.


One day in fact, she came upon a special kind of tree. It was quite big and majestic, so very inviting for a bee.


''..Who are you, who comes so near?''


She scouted with her eyes, disappointed and clear. There were no flowers, no nectar here.

''Please don't go..'' He submitted at last, his branches would sway, hoping to gain her trust.


She kept humming closely, her wings beating like a drum. To the plants, this was quite the promising hum. ''I'll 

have flowers, eventually you'll see. '' He pleaded gently, coercing the bee.


''…And how old are you? To make a claim as such?''


''…I'm a little over sixty, I know it sounds much.''


The bee scoffed, and her little wings she folded. This tree was delusional, but it could not be avoided. Someone ought to be honest, and with this tree be frank. There were no flowers coming, she'd say while poking his trunk.

She carried away, leaving him with the truth in her wake. But he did not seem upset, nor did his spirit break.  Curiosity got the better of this bee, and she kept visiting him daily, monthly and finally yearly.


Every day she came, and he insisted the same.


''I have flowers on the way! Little Bumble dame!''


And the Bee who had grown to care for the plant, she nodded softly, playing along with the act.


''..Yes I'm sure, they will be here soon. And when they arrive, it will be quite the boon!''


She knew better she did. But that honesty was gone, he was going to die soon, and no one deserved to die alone.

When she finally came, to find him on the edge of his life, she mourned and she wept, she was filled with strife. But it was then that the most miraculous happened, quite the magical deed.


The bee was astounded, and it shrieked with delight. She clapped her little hands, her eyes filled with light.

''..You've done it old man! You always said that you would!''

She couldn't believe it, that he actually could!


His silence came hard, and it struck her heart's cord. But when she looked at his eyes, his peace she adored.


The Talipot blossomed, flowing with beauty, a million little flowers, and the end of his duty.

The Talipot blossoms once, and it can take sixty to seventy springs, but when it finally comes, a great joy it does brings.

Sadness as well, could not be denied.

For the day the Talipot blossomed, will always be the day that it died.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
The Talipot is a real tree.
And I realize Bee's don't live for so long--
But don't let the facts get in the way of the story :)

(Dedicated to a special someone whom I'll never forget.)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This entire poem reminded me of"The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. How the boy always came back to the tree. They loved each other & the tree was happy. What a beautiful story. I love how simple your analogies are, get you illustrate them beautifully.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you kindly for the review. I'm happy that you found it enjoyble.
The giving tree is one.. read more



Reviews

Bees don't live for so long... nor do they have conversations with plants... nor do trees have eyes.... :)
I'm only teasing - this is a lovely story! The use of the rhyming lines is interesting. It gives it a feel almost like that of a ballad or legend - something that would be passed down verbally through generations. There are some places that the rhythm seems a bit off, however; with this sort of thing, especially with the rhyme, it feels like there should be more of a set cadence to it. Not a defined meter like in poetry, but try to maintain a smoother rhythm - it'll make those rhymes flow more easily. As for the story itself... it is beautiful and touching. My favorite line is this: "His silence came hard, and it struck her heart's cord. But when she looked at his eyes, his peace she adored." The rhythm is perfect, the rhyme comes off very well, and the ideas are movingly emotional. It's the bittersweet sort of feeling that one gets when a loved one who is very old and ready to move on passes away. The final paragraph/stanza is also powerful, particularly that final line. Overall, this was a unique and enjoyable read. Nice work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


lol nice work love the work



Posted 7 Years Ago


This entire poem reminded me of"The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. How the boy always came back to the tree. They loved each other & the tree was happy. What a beautiful story. I love how simple your analogies are, get you illustrate them beautifully.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you kindly for the review. I'm happy that you found it enjoyble.
The giving tree is one.. read more
You have NO IDEA how much I can relate to this gracefully & gently-told story, being almost 60, disabled, & dirt poor. My family was all around when I was able-bodied, made good money, & spent lavishly on everyone. Nowadays, I hear from none of these people. But it wasn't until I met new people outside my old circle, watching true love & caring in action, that I realized how broken & stunted my family has always been, me included. So I learned from other loving people, what it looks like, feels like, & acts like . . . it has nothing to do with age, fitness, or possessions. Your story is a very graphic way to SHOW instead of tell (first rule of good writing). Thanks for sharing this (((HUGS)))

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

I'm glad that you loved it. I really am.
This story is very close to me.
I wrote it ve.. read more
I love trees so this is quite fascinating and I will be researching the talipot tree. I have to say that I enjoy your style of writing. I enjoy rhyming so I really like how you rhyme even though it's a "story" format. I find that rhyming opens up new worlds of possibility you may have otherwise never thought of. It's like unwrapping a present when a rhyme blossoms (pun intended) into a whole new trajectory for your work. My favorite line was "she carried their future." How very true and how poetic it is to put it like that. Nicely done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!
I actually hold this story for dearly to me.
My grandma really .. read more
Its a beautiful story so joyful and warm. I loved it so. Keep up with the good work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review friend!
I think this is a wonderful story! It makes a great children's story, but works for adults, also. I enjoyed it very much.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Hahaha, Thanks.
Yeah, I like making stories which I define are for 'Everyone.'
I am so charmed by this story. Well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hey this is a beautiful little fantasy in your inimitable style. would absolutely fit in a children's book.
sweet write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Death, Taxes-- And Woody.
Thanks for always being there friend.
Woody

7 Years Ago

always :)))
I like this. Reminds me a little of Charlotte's web. A little tweaking of the lines will improve the rhythm.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Mhm, I'm actually about to edit it right now.
Have a few lines that came to me while I was in.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

714 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2016
Last Updated on May 20, 2016
Tags: Friendship, Animals

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Story by LastMonth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tommy Got Back Tommy Got Back

A Poem by Leigh


Moon Petals Moon Petals

A Poem by MsJewel