Chapter (8) THE GIFT

Chapter (8) THE GIFT

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN

THE GIFT

  

Kneeling by the unmarked grave the young woman said a silent prayer. By her side a little girl knelt down and placed a small bouquet of flowers near the simple wooden cross. The little girl turned her head to look at the young woman.

 “Do you think mommy can see us?” The young woman smiled as she replied.

“Yes, I’m sure she is watching over you. She’s your guardian angel now.” The little girl smiled at the young woman.

On Sundays, whenever the weather permitted, the woman and the child would visit the grave to say a prayer and place fresh flowers. Walking back to the car, hand in hand, the woman said.

“One day I’ll get a real headstone to show everyone where your mummy is resting.” The little girl looked up at her and gave her wide smile.

 

It had been three years since the Penny and her little girl, April, had moved into the apartment building. Joan, a waitress in a small diner, lived next door. As the days past the two young women got to know each other more and more and soon discovered they were both orphans without immediate families. The baby girl was the result of a brief affair Penny had had with a young sales assistant in the store where she’d worked. When Penny realised she was pregnant she’d had no hesitation in deciding to keep the baby, the boyfriend wasn’t at all pleased and did a disappearing trick, leaving Penny to fend for herself. Penny had survived by hard work and a little luck. It had not been easy and when the opportunity to dance in a small stage play presented itself, Penny accepted the position and moved into her apartment to be nearer to the theatre. Penny didn’t earn a great deal but she made sure the little girl wasn’t neglected.

One evening Pennys’ regular babysitter had phoned to say she was unable to come as she wasn’t feeling well and she was sorry to let her down. There was only option for Penny, she would have to ask Joan if she could help out and babysit her little girl. Joan accepted with pleasure and soon developed a bond with the little girl. The two young women soon became the very best of friends and Joan was like a second mother to the little girl. Penny was able to concentrate on her acting and soon had a long standing part in a comedy production. This situation was set to continue but fate was to play a part neither of the young women had expected.

Just over a year after they first met, Penny was walking home from the theatre in the early hours, when she was hit by a drunk driver in a speeding car and killed. When Joan had heard the knock on the door she’d thought perhaps Penny had forgotten her key. Being careful Joan called through the door.

“Hello, Who is it please?”

“Sorry to bother you miss, it’s the police.” The reply took Joan by surprise but, leaving the chain on the door, she opened it just enough to see out. Two Police officers stood solemnly in the hallway. Joan closed the door and released the security chain.

“Please come in. What is it? What’s happened?” One of the officers spoke.

“This is the apartment of Penny Reaves?” Joan nodded.  The officer continued. “And are you Joan Wilson?”

Joan nodded again. Her palms were sweating and her heart had never beaten so fast. The officer removed his hat and speaking quietly he said.

“I’m sorry to tell you, but Miss Reaves was involved in an incident earlier this evening. I’m afraid she was killed..” Joan let out a wail of disbelief. The officer held her and helped her back into the room. Helping her to sit down on the old sofa he turned to the other officer and looking across at the small kitchen he said.

“See if you can make her a cup of tea. Go on man. What are you waiting for?” The younger officer hadn’t had to make tea before and he wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do.

“Miss... Miss... I’m officer Gruber. Is there someone I can call for you. Joan was distraught and struggled to speak through the tears. She shook her head.

“No, No we’re alone.” Then as an afterthought she suddenly asked.

“What’s going to happen to April?” the officer was a little bemused.

“Who’s April?” He asked.

“April?. She’s Penny’s daughter, she’s nearly five.” The officer looked through to the kitchen.

“Constable where’s that tea?” The young officer had managed to boil some water and busily poured some into a mug. He returned with it and handed it to Joan.

“Sorry, I found the teabags but I couldn’t find any milk or sugar.” The senior officer stood up and gave his young colleague a glowering look. The younger man shrugged his shoulders and said in a low, questioning, tone.

“What?...what?...”

“But how did you know my name. You used my name when you arrived.” The officer removed a scrap of paper from his tunic pocket and handed it to Joan.

“We found this note in Miss Reaves’ pocket book.” Joan opened the paper and read the contents.

‘If anything should ever happen to me please ask Joan Wilson to look after April.’

The Police Officers stayed with Joan until they were sure she was able to take care of herself and the little girl. The worst day of her life was about to get even worse, she had to explain to April that her mummy would not be coming home.

 

The sun shone down from a cloudless, blue sky, as the elderly, grey haired lady, stood elegantly looking down at the grave with the gleaming white head stone. Her wide brimmed hat hiding her tearful eyes.

“Granma Joanie.” The child’s voice was sweet on the early morning air. The elderly lady turned and dropped on one knee as the bright little girl ran into her arms. The woman hugged and kissed the child, and the child planted a huge kiss on her Grandmothers cheek.

“My lovely Penny. Did you remember to bring some flowers?” The little girl produced a small bouquet of Violets and forget-me-nots, from behind her back.

“Oh, they are so pretty.” Said the elderly lady. A tall, younger woman approached the grave. She put her arms around the elderly lady and gave her a loving kiss.

“Hello Mum. Happy Birthday.” The older lady smiled and held tight to her daughter’s hand. The two women stood silently, side by side, as they watched the little girl place the bright coloured flowers against the headstone. The little girl looked up at the two women.

“Mommy, Granma, are you sad? Why are you both crying?” The young woman bent down and lifted the child into her arms.

“Sweetie, no...we’re not sad. Mommy and Grandma are happy.”

“If you’re happy why are you crying?” The little girl kissed her mother and reached across pulling her grandmother closer so that she could kiss her too. The young woman let the child down onto the ground.

“Granma Joanie please tell me about Granma Penny again.”

“Penny, Granma Joanie doesn’t want to tell you that story again.” The girls’ mother looked across to the older woman who smiled and gave a slight nod of the head.

“No it’s okay honey, I don’t mind. Besides it helps me to remember.”

The elderly lady knelt down on the summer grass and sat back on her heels. She placed an arm around the little girl and once more recounted the story of how she’d become friends with her Grandma Penny, and how her Grandma Penny had been a wonderful dancer. As she retold the story her voice started to break and tears appeared in her eyes. Then the elderly woman said something that she’d not told before. She looked up at the young woman as she spoke.

“The day your Grandma Penny died was my birthday. We’d had lunch together and your Grandma Penny said she was going to take me out the next day to buy a special gift for my birthday. The younger woman looked quizzicaly at her mother.

“You never told that before mum.” Well now you know the whole story. The older woman took the little girls’ hand.

“Shall we go get your daddy?” Still holding the little girls’ hand she rose to her feet. The younger woman looked over to the road to where a smartly dressed young man leaned against a large black car. She signalled for him to join them.

“Hello Greg, it’s lovely to see you. Thank you for coming today.” The tears had dried and a smile appeared once again on the elderly women’s face, as she said it.

“Happy Birthday Joan. I know what today means to you and I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.” The man kissed her cheek.

“Thank you Greg.” Replied the elderly lady. She took the young women’s hand in her free hand and looked into her eyes for some seconds.

“You know I love you more than I can ever say. Thirty years ago I stood here with you and I made you a promise that I would get a real headstone for your mother. I know she is proud of what you have become and is looking over you and your child.”

The elderly woman then turned and started to read the inscription etched into the white marble.

“PENNY REAVES, Born 1958, Died 1991, a loving mother, dancer and best friend.” The younger woman smiled as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“I think she’d be very happy with it.” She said.

As the group turned to walk back to the car the little girl suddenly said.

“Granma Joanie, I’m sorry you didn’t get your birthday gift.” The elderly woman stopped, took the child into her arms and lifted her up.

“My dear, sweet child. Your Grandma Penny gave me the most precious birthday present in the world.”

“What was that.” Asked the child. The elderly woman placed the child on the ground, stood between the man and the woman and put an arm around each of them.

“She gave me my very own family.”




© 2019 MAD ENGLISHMAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

791 Views
Added on February 24, 2017
Last Updated on October 24, 2019


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing