Chapter (1) THE ANNIVERSARY

Chapter (1) THE ANNIVERSARY

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN

THE ANNIVERSARY.

 

      Holding the mug of steaming coffee to her mouth, Esther stared, through the swirls of rising steam, at a bird searching the damp lawn for an oblivious worm. She did this most days at this time while she waited for her husband to come home. They’d always wanted a house by the coast and when this house came onto the market ten years ago, they fell in love with the views across the bay. Esther loved the sea, she could sit for hours watching the Gulls. In the marina, the masts of the sailing crafts rocked gently in rhythm to the movement of the water.

      Esther met her husband at high school and Larry had been her first, and only, love. They’d married as soon as Larry graduated from university. Their first child, a boy, had been born just a year later quickly followed by the birth of their daughter Astrid, both of whom had now flown the nest to follow their own lives. While the marriage had been largely uneventful, Esther and Larry had continued to enjoy a loving relationship. Next week would be their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, and they were both looking forward to the silver wedding celebrations. However today Esther was not waiting, as usual, with anticipation for husband to come home. She’d noticed a change in his demeanour these last few weeks. He was making excuses and coming home from the office later than was normal. Esther heard her husband’s car on the loose gravel driveway as it approached the house, he was late again, third time this week. A few moments later the front door opened and a cheery voice announced,

      “Hi honey. It’s just me. Sorry I’m a bit late.” Esther took another sip of her coffee. In the hallway Larry took off his coat and hung it on the coat rack. He kicked off his day shoes and pushed his feet into a pair of comfortable house slippers.

      “Honey. Are you in the kitchen?” Esther said nothing, she carried on staring blankly out of the window. Entering the kitchen Larry saw his wife sitting looking out of the window at the garden.

      “Esther? Is everything okay?” Larry leaned towards his wife to kiss her cheek. Esther pulled away. This action took Larry by surprise.

      “Honey? What’s the matter?” Esther put the mug down and stood up to face her husband.

      “Perhaps you should tell me.” She said, and walked out of the kitchen. Over the twenty-five years of their marriage, Larry could count on the fingers of one hand the number of arguments they’d shared. This action from Esther was out of character and Larry was at a loss to understand it. Larry searched his mind to see if he’d forgotten some promise he’d made or some errand she’d asked him to do. Larry turned to watch his wife walking away.

      “I’m going to call Daniel.” He called out. “Do you want to speak to him honey?” Esther didn’t answer him. Larry came out of the kitchen just in time to see his wife disappeared at the top of the stairs. The house phone sat on a small table halfway down the hallway. Larry lifted the receiver and dialled his son’s number. Esther stood at the top of the stairs straining to listen.

      “Hey son, it’s dad...yes I just got home....

      “Your mother has gone upstairs, I don’t know what I’ve done, but your mom isn’t talking to me for some reason......

      “No. I’ve got no idea...” Larry turned to make sure his wife wasn’t nearby before he continued. On the other end of the phone his son noted the how his father’s voice had become quieter.

      “Do you think she suspects something?....

      “I don’t know son, I’ve been so careful....

      “I don’t want her to find out....not yet....

      “Yes. That’s why I’m a bit late getting home...

      “No son. I’ve been careful to hide it from her....

      “I know, I know, I hate this secrecy, but I want to let your mom have the wedding anniversary before I tell her.” Larry thought he heard something and turned to look. He was still alone.

      “I know it’s a big step, leaving you all behind, I don’t know how she’ll take it...

      “Yes, today...Yes she’s ready to leave...

      “Yes of course she’s beautiful and she has a lovely name too...April Rose. Larry heard the creak on the stair and turned to see his wife coming towards him. Esther lifted her right arm and Larry could see she was holding the pistol he kept in a draw next to the bed.

      “Esther?....” Esther stopped and pointed the gun at his chest.

      “Did you think I wouldn’t know you were having an affair?”

      “No, Esther honey, I’m...” Larry didn’t finish the sentence. The first of three bullets tore through his chest and rattled around his ribcage, ripping apart his right lung. The second hit him in the shoulder and as he fell backwards the third shot hit him dead centre and bored a hole through his heart, killing him outright. As Larry hit the floor, he still had the telephone receiver gripped in his hand. Esther dropped the gun, bending over the body of her husband she took the blooded receiver from his hand and placed it to her ear.

      “MOM.....MOM...WHAT’S HAPPENED?” Daniel had heard the shots and was screaming down the phone. Esther spoke in a calm monotone.

      “Daniel darling, can you come over I’ve just killed your father.” Not waiting for a reply Esther replaced the receiver on phone and walked casually back to the kitchen.

      When Daniel arrived at his parent’s home, a police squad car and two officers accompanied him. The front door wasn’t locked and as the three men entered they could see his father slumped in the hallway, a patch of blood oozing from beneath his body. Daniel called out and started to run towards his father. One of the officers grabbed his arm to stop him.

      “No sir. It’s a crime scene. Please stay here.” Daniel stopped, still staring at the body of his father, as an officer bent down and carefully felt for a pulse on his neck. He turned back looking at his collegue and shook his head. Daniel gasped.

      “Is there another way into the kitchen sir?” Said the officer, releasing his grip on Daniel’s arm.

      “What....yes.” Daniel led the officer through the living room to enter the kitchen from the other side and called out.

      “MOM. Where are you?” Esther answered calmly on hearing her son’s voice.

      “I’m in the kitchen son.” Daniel and one of the officers entered the kitchen to find Esther sitting on a stool casually drinking a mug of coffee. The officer closed the kitchen door blocking the blooded scene from view.

      “Mom? What happened? Who did this?”  Esther didn’t answer, she just sat looking at the blue water across the bay.

      “Ma-am...I’m officer Dunbar. Can you tell me anything about what has happened to your husband?” Esther turned her head slowly to look at the officer.

      “My husband?..... He’s dead.” Officer Dunbar looked at Daniel.

      “I think your mother is in shock sir. We’ll leave it for now and I’ll get a female officer to come over.” In the hallway the second officer spotted the gun close to the body and took his radio to call it in.

      “Dispatch, we need an ambulance and a homicide team at this address. One D.O.A. and a weapon recovered at the scene.” When he was satisfied the officer joined the others in the kitchen. Esther stood up and looked straight into her son’s eyes.

      “If you knew, why didn’t you tell me?” Daniel looked puzzled.

      “Tell you what? What did you do?” Esther gave a wry smile as she spoke with venom in her voice.

      “Twenty five years I gave to that man, and he was leaving me for another woman.”

      “Mom. What are you talking about?”  Officer Dunbar took Esther’s arms and placed them behind her back. Esther didn’t resist.

      “I’m arresting you on suspicion of murder. You do not have to say anything, but anything you do say can be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand what I’ve just said?” Esther didn’t answer as the handcuffs closed around her wrists.

      “Mom...what’s happened? Why did you do this?” Her face still looked hard and angry.

      “You know why. I heard him, and you knew about it and never told me.”

      “Mom I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Esther gave a huff.

      “I knew something was wrong. Did he think I wouldn’t notice after all these years. I’ve suspected something for several weeks now. Secret phone calls. Coming home late. Then tonight I heard him telling you he was leaving with his other woman..April Rose. What sort of woman has a name like April Rose anyway?” Daniel was breathing hard now as he took his mothers shoulders in his hands and searched her face for some comprehension.

      “Mom...April Rose is a boat. Dad bought you a boat. He was taking you away for cruise around the Caribbean as an anniversary present.”



© 2017 MAD ENGLISHMAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed reading this. I can't wait to move on to Chapter 2.

Posted 5 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

5 Years Ago

Glad you liked it. Hope you enjoy some of the others too.
Wow… that a very dark first chapter for you. And, here I was expecting your trademark thinker’s humor.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

630 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 27, 2017
Last Updated on April 8, 2017


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing