Life from the Dark side.

Life from the Dark side.

A Story by Toney Vega
"

Umm, recently I have been confronted with different situations that made obvious the status of race relations today. I being a black man have always had it hard in America yet I still have hope for the future, so this piece is kind of a summation of my r

"

I am the darker brother. The one that you claim to openly emcbrace yet secretly members of your same family tree are hating me even as we speak. They want me to go back to Africa from whence I came yet they're the ones who brought me here in the first place. Then you have those that don't care where I go just so long as I'm not around them and their ignorance is such that it baffles me to this day. I get it, I must be some other American citizen, because this white America sure doesn't accept me. Now I'm not saying that's true for them all but from what I've seen racism is still very much alive, which leads to my dual conciousness.

I am part Afr-I-Can, part Amer-I-Can and since I can't be both I'm forced to choose between the two which leads to my multiple identity, my schizophrenic tendencies and even my contradicting message of who I be. I'm the revolutionary trapped in his own prison, the government that has corrupted his own system... by day I'm the minstrel dancing for a penny, by night I'm the revolting slave escaping to make known the sufferings of many. I'm the Malik Jacksons, the Muhammad Jenkins, first name coming from my Motherland, last name coming from my ex slave master. All this pinned-up rage from milleniums of injustice and white people wonder why blacks are so violent. I can't find peace in Euro-centric countries because you think you're above me, I can't find peace in Asian countries 'cuz you're the majority they follow, I can't even go back to my Motherland because they see me as you.

You raped me, You left me for dead, You lynched me, collected my torn limbs and ligaments then put it in a gallery for your own amusement, You made me less than human, You burned me alive, You gave me diseases, You made me hate myself, telling me that I'm not light enough to be beautiful, my hair is too nappy to be considered good, my dark skin is a reflection of my evil nature, that I'm not as smart as you, you destroyed my culture, teaching me in school that Rome was the greatest civilization in history and that Europe is the birthplace of civilization, you scattered my people, stealing us away from our homeland and forcing us to work for you like animals, you took away my history, leading people to believe that Egypt is somewhere in the Middle East or Europe, you took away our success stories leading people to believe that such figures as Hannibal, Beethoven, Moses, and Jesus were Middle Eastern and not black, You are the greatest perverter of human history and you wonder why I have so much rage...

The time is now my brothers, sisters, lovers, friends...the time is now to let justice prevail and for the world to be ready for my people's greatness.  All of this pain, all of this strife, all the issues we have faced have lead up to this moment!  It's time to start a revolution and get our 20 acres and a mule.  The time is now to let ourselves and our kids to be able to succeed in school, the time is now to get back everything that was taken from us.  Not just money, but land, our minds, and our identity as well.  The time is now, my people, to show the world how great we are, and to show the world just how equal we are to them.  The war is not over, and it will continue to rage for years to come, but it's time to take up arms and fight for every atrocity we have faced.

Wake up my people, wake up.

© 2008 Toney Vega


Author's Note

Toney Vega
Just to note, I do not hate white people. Let me say that again in case someone missed it, I do not hate white people, I just find it funny how they want to issue formal apologies years after slavery then claim that they can't give reparations because slavery happened too long ago in history. Yet that's funny when my grandmother's grandmother was a slave so it isn't that long ago. I have bitterness but that is because of the lack of responsibility on the part of the U.S. government. I guess they figured us niggers were good enough to die for our country but never good enough to be a part of the country. But as I said I don't hate white people, I'm just disgusted by the things they've done, the lies they've told, and the unwillingness to pay for any of it.
~Thanks for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on August 18, 2008

Author

Toney Vega
Toney Vega

Richmond, VA



About
I'm an 18 year old artist who specializes in music and writing. All of my writing centers around my life at the current moment as both a form of escapism and a way to face things that are bothering o.. more..

Writing