The New Year

The New Year

A Story by Kathryn Smith

Say anything you've always wanted


Be not afraid of who you really are


Because in the end we have each other


And that's one thing worth living for


And I would give the world to you






Sometimes it feels like there are so many things in this world we can't control.


Earthquakes, floods, attacks...


But it's important to remember the things that we can.


Like forgiveness, second chances, fresh starts...


Because the one thing that turns this world from a lonely place to a beautiful place, is love.


Love in any of its forms.


Love gives us hope.


Hope for the New Year.


That's what New Year's Eve is to me.


Hope and a great party!







The words you read above are from a film called "New Years Eve." I watched it today while cat sitting. They really stuck to me and I couldn't have agreed more.



This year was no doubt a challenging one, yet it was also such a good year.


I don't think I've ever learned so much in my life.


There were so many failures but my failures were outnumbered by success.


I'm starting to figure things out and slowly but surely, I'm not quite as worried as I used to be about the future and where I am going.


I've been excited for the New Year before, but this year I'm not just excited.


I'm ready.


This year I learned so many important lessons.


You can't please everyone.


No matter how kind you are, everyone isn't going to like you..and that's okay.


There's someone out there who is just as weird as you are, and  they love you for it.


Death is something you will never get over. You can accept it, but it will be carried with you for the rest of your life.


If people tell you to get over it, don't argue with them. They'll never understand. Just keep walking on.  


Fight for what you want.


Stand up for yourself and what you believe in, but do it with class.


It's okay to start finding your own beliefs and values.


I hate change, I am a creature of habit and tradition, but the hardest thing I had to learn was to embrace change.


Change is good.


This is your life, not your friends or your mothers or your fathers. Its yours.  


If something makes you happy that might make others raise eyebrows, make yourself happy. Don't listen to the naysayers.


Follow your heart, but remember to use your brain.


Distance is tough, but if you both try, keep in touch, have fun, and stay positive, you can stick together.


Sleep can do wonders for your health.


Everything you want is on the other side of fear.


Drinking Coffee after 4 PM will make you crazy.


Big decisions may arise and the best thing you can do is to give yourself time.

 

Opportunities are usually here for a reason.


Dance. Dance. Dance. Dance some more. Dance as much as you can!


Smile.


Have fun.


Climb trees. Be wild. Sprint like the wind. You never know when your last breath will be.


With bad news, there is always good news. Don't let terrorism stop you from living your life.


Be happy for your peers. Sure engagements and weddings and new babies might make you feel strange, but embrace it.


Love one another, but also give people space. That's what love is.


Try out poetry. You might be better at it than you thought.


When the past comes calling, answer with kindness, but keep moving into the future.


Last but not least I think the biggest lesson I learned this year is that the key to your happiness is the acceptance of yourself.


I have struggled with so many things for such a long time, and I am often so very hard on myself!


When you let all that negativity go, when you believe in yourself, you can fly higher than the moon.



Whoever is reading this-I hope you have a Happy New Year! Thank you for being with me this year and taking the time to read my work. It doesn't matter if this is your first time reading something, or your 30th. I appreciate it.


Writing is my passion. This is the year I figured that out and I am so happy!



See you on the flip side.





K.S.


The Sun Girl







This is the new year


A new beginning


You made promise


You are the brightest


We are the voices


This is the New Year














 

© 2015 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
B
I love it
A new year to let go of everything that is ugly
i love the not drinking coffee after 4
it does in fact make one crazy lol

wish you all the best

Posted 8 Years Ago


I loved the complete story. Great wisdom shared in your words. Life is to be lived and enjoy. Take chances and laugh often. Leave the naysayers behind and find people who love to dance, sing and laugh. Life is too short to wallow in sadness. Thank you my friend for sharing your positive words.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
The practice of accepting change is like belief in evolution: survival of the fittest applies. This means that it is so much better to embrace change than fight it. This piece reads like a list of your New Year's resolutions. Buried in the 'list' is a lot of wisdom and philosophical thinking, not usually fodder for sharing with others. Your writes are so exciting to read because of that wisdom, a lesson for life by one who so enjoys her life at this point in time. Great writing, Kathryn! take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


"There's someone out there who is just as weird as you are, and they love you for it." Lol loved that. Happy new year to you!!


Posted 8 Years Ago


Really nice i really enjoyed reading it...and Happy New year to you too and i too agree that whoever believes in himself will definitely suceed.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


great advise my friend,it would be great if this was the norm..

Posted 8 Years Ago


so nice I like it with your feelings

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 30, 2015
Last Updated on December 30, 2015


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken Broken

A Chapter by Mojo HIll