Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Friend of Mine

Friend of Mine

A Story by Kathryn Smith

You must've saved me about a thousand times

I wouldn't be the one I am today

If you hadn't been a friend of mine 








The the most reoccurring thing I have had in my life would be visiting hospitals and clinics. 

It all began when my mother was expecting me. 

I was not growing so I was a forced preemie. 

At 1 pound 6 ounces, I fought for my life. 

Then throughout childhood, I was closely monitored and watched to see if I had any kind of developmental delay. 

When adolescence approached I next began getting injections so I could grow taller before my growth plates closed. 

Finally, after a small break from the medical scene, I was in a car crash. 

The airbag that deployed ripped out my eye lens, exploded my pupil and tore up my iris. This all resulted in induced glaucoma. 

I am now nearly 26 years old. 

And on my way to the eye clinic today with my father, we talked about how interesting my medical life has been. 

It's always been there. 

Since before birth to now. 

Somedays I am filled with rage - when I hear of the people who walk away from horrific car crashes with just a scratch. 

Other days I want to scream when I hear people wishing they could have glaucoma instead of getting tested for it every now and then. 

But in the end, I do believe I was born under a lucky star. 

My medical life could have been far worse. 

I could have been sicker. 

I could have died...

What warms my heart, calms the rage, and makes me go on is remembering every doctor and nurse I have ever had. 

I enjoy returning the NICU. Giving parents hope that their premature babies may live. 

I've longed to visit the children's hospital to see my doctors who worked with me so I could grow. 

And when I leave Madison, I will miss those who took care of my damaged eye. 

Who saw me grow from an 18-year-old girl to a 26-year-old woman. 

 


It's easy to get down on yourself when all you've seen are hospital doors and walls. 

But it's even easier to take a step back and feel the love and work and patience that was injected into your body. 

Into your soul. 


Thank you, doctors. 

Thank you, nurses. 

I wouldn't be here without you. 

You'll always be a friend of mine. 

© 2018 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank goodness, Kathryn, for such amazingly wonderful friends.
I cannot imagine what it would be like without you … I'll never want to know.
Just look at you now, just read all the enthralling poetry and stories you've written we love, enjoy, and carry with us in our minds, souls, and hearts.
What a beautiful, thoughtful, and caring homage to all those who've given of their compassionate time, skills, and dedication … you are an incomparably beautiful person, Kathryn, one I am privileged, proud, and honored to know, and to consider a close friend of mine.

Loving hugs to You for sharing yourself with lucky Us! ⁓ Richard x0x

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2018
Last Updated on June 9, 2018