The Banished:  Feathered into Matrimony.

The Banished: Feathered into Matrimony.

A Story by Michael Gill

The Banished

Issue #2

Feathered Into Matrimony

 

 

Chapter 1

 

            The Banished had traveled through the jungles of Katasia for a week without any sign of life except those of the natural habitat.  “Lion Heart do you really think there are other tribes out here?”  Asked Tigris.

            “I’m sure there is.”  Lion Heart said with confidence, “Otherwise The Elder would have not sent us on this quest.”

            “I have to agree with Tigris though big brother.”  Tusk spoke up from the rear, “This walking all day and sleeping all night is becoming monotonous.”

            “I too grow weary my brother, but we all knew this was not going to be an easy task.”  Lion Heart countered.  “Besides I thought you wanted to see other parts of the Island?”

            “I do, I was just expecting more than just walking through the jungles.”  Tusk told him.

            Batswing was walking to the right of Lion Heart when he stopped everyone, “Stay absolutely still.”  He warned holding his hand up.

            “What is it my brother?”  Lion Heart asked.

            “You see that carcass ahead of us?” 

            “I do what of it?”  Lion Heart wondered.

            “There’s something around it…”  Batswing whispered.

            “Panthra grab a rock, climb up that tree next you and throw the rock near the carcass.”  Lion Heart instructed.  Panthra nodded as she grabbed a rock and climbed up the tree and threw the rock and when it landed a giant net sprang up from the ground!  “Well that definitely answers our question.” 

            “Do you think that trap was set for us?”  Falcona asked.

            “I can’t say for sure.”  Lion Heart answered as he noticed Tusk walking up to the net to examine it.  “What do you think Tusk?”

            “Very strong netting, masterful craftsmanship…too big to capture small animals.”  Tusk said admirably.  “We best be on our guard from here on out.”

            “Agreed, let’s continue on but let’s change formation.  Falcona and Batswing I want you two to stay here on the ground with Tusk and I.  Tigris and Panthra I want you two in the trees to keep an eye out for anyone.  I’ll take point with Batswing and Tusk and Falcona you bring up the rear.”  Lion Heart told them and they nodded as the two sisters leaped up into the trees.

            The Banished continued on and had found two more traps before they noticed the sun was beginning to set and decided to camp down for the night.  They took turns standing guard while the others slept.  Falcona was the last to take watch until sunrise when she would awake the others and they would being their journey after eating what was left of the food that was given to them.  She looked around the area and admired it, she always loved the jungle even when she was a little girl, but now that she was part bird she longed to fly as much as possible.  Lion Heart had allowed her and Batswing to spread their wings and fly a couple of times a day so they didn’t feel grounded. 

            As much as she would love to fly into the air right now…but she had a job to do, and that was to make sure that everyone got the rest they needed and now that they know they weren’t alone here it was more important than ever to stay focused.  All of the sudden she had a feeling that someone was watching her in the dark.  Someone whom did not belong, someone whom meant to do her and her siblings harm…who were they?  Where were they?  She looked and saw two red beady eyes looking down at her!  Before she could even let out a scream the shadowy figure came down from the tree, swooped her up from the ground took her into the air!

            Lion Heart woke up and rose up into a fighting stance in one fluid motion and saw that Falcona was gone.  He sniffed the air and smelled that she was here but a new scent had come into play and was already growing faint.  “Banish awaken!  Our sister has been taken!”

 

 

Chapter 2

 

            The Banished looked around for any clues to the disappearance of their sister.  Tigris and Panthra searched the trees to see if they could find any claw marks, “I found some marks that look like talons.”  Tigris spoke up.

            “And this is not one of her feathers.”  Tusk held up in his hand.

            “What kind of bird?”  Lion Heart asked.

            “I don’t know, but it would appear that our brothers’ ray worked.”  Tusk answered.

            “Let me smell that feather.”  Batswing told him and he took hold of it and smelled it.  “I got the scent and will use my radar to find her.”

            “Wait!”  Lion Heart roared, “I can’t allow you to go on your own.  We have no idea who or what took Falcona.  So until then you can fly but not out of my sight do you understand?”

            “Yeah I understand, and understand why.”  Batswing gave in.

            “We’ll follow your lead my brother and hopefully the scent will be enough for you.”

            “Yeah me too.”  Batswing agreed as he took to the air and others followed him.

            “So if Dark Dragons’ ray worked I wonder what type of other creatures or people that it turned into?”  Tigris asked.

            “Hopefully not the whole Island, to do so would mean the end of all humanity.”  Lion Heart answered grimly as they walked along the path.

            “And if we lose the war, then the whole world!”  Tusk spoke up.

            “And that is one thing we can’t allow!”  Lion Heart added and as they walked within seconds they found themselves hanging upside down.  “Oh great…another trap!”

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

            Falcona woke up from being knocked out by her captor.  She found herself inside of a wooden bird cage.  “Well this has to be someone’s sick joke.”  She thought to herself as she tested the wood and found it to be pretty strong.  She looked around and saw that she was being kept in a hut of some kind made of mud and sticks.  “Well this looks homely.”  The door opened and she that he captor was none other than…a vulture!  “Who are you?  Why have you brought me here?”  She demanded.

            “Silence!”  He commanded, “I am called Scavenger, I am the leader of my tribe!”

            “I am Falcona…”  She started to say.

            “I know exactly who you are your majesty.”  He interrupted and mockingly bowed.  “Your ring was a big give away, plus there’s someone here that would like to say hello.”  He turned and allowed the person behind him to show himself none other than K-Obra!

            “It is good to see you Falcona.”  K-Obra bowed.

            “Wish I could say the same thing!”  She told him sarcastically.

            “Still have a foul tongue do you?”  He asked her.

            “The only one here that has a foul tongue is you and your warriors!”

            “Enough!  We’re getting nowhere with this!”  Scavenger shouted with authority. 

            “What do you want?”  Falcona demanded.

            “You’re here to serve a purpose.”  K-Obra answered, “Your brother Dark Dragon wants to form an alliance with The Vulture Tribe and in return…a bride for Scavenger!”

            “You can’t be serious!  I am not in league with my brother Dark Dragon!”  Falcona said defiantly.

            “I figured you would say something like that.”  K-Obra told her, “That is why I came up with a counter proposal to Scavenger here, if your sibling’s want you back…they have to surrender their rights as Royals.”

            “Either way we win!”  Scavenger said proudly.

            “You know my brother Dark Dragon is the reason why you’ve been turned into a vulture don’t you?”  Falcona asked Scavenger.

            “And I’m so glad he did, it now gives us an advantage over our rival tribe.”  Scavenger told her.

            “What rival tribe?  All the tribes were to live in peace.”  Falcona said in confusion.

            “You seriously believe that all the tribes are peaceful ones?”  Scavenger asked her and laughed in her face!  “We’ve been at war with the near-by tribe for years now, and we have always been the loser…until that fateful day when we were transformed into the bird we worshipped!  And now we look like…no we are gods!  All thanks goes to Dark Dragon.”

            “My brother will then use you for his evil purposes.”  Falcona argued.

            “Doubtful beings that I have been allied with Dark Dragon for the last couple of years now, how else would we have all this modern technology?”  She saw what he meant by the laser rifles that the two guards carried on their person.  “All that matters is that I now be married to the prettiest creature on this lovely Island of ours, and you my dear is that prettiest creature.”

            “Don’t expect it to happen.”  Falcona spat.

            “You don’t have a choice!  One way or another you and I will be married long before your siblings can do anything to stop us!’  He laughed evilly as he and K-Obra left the hut.

            “I need to get out of here!”  She said defiantly, “But how?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4

 

            The rest of The Banished hung out literally trying to escape the nets that entangled them.  “Somebody do something!”  Tusk struggled.

            “You’re the strong one!”  Tigris reminded him.

            “And the rest of you have claws.”  Tusk countered.

            “Quiet all of you.”  Batswing hushed, “There’s someone coming.”  A minute later they were surrounded by a group of Wolf-Men.  “Do I smell wet fur?”

            “Very funny bat creature.”  One of the Wolf-Men answered.

            “Well excuse me for being blind.”  Batswing defended himself.

            “I am Leo of The Royals.”  Lion Heart introduced himself.

            “You are not with The Vulture Clan?”  One of them asked.

            “No we are not…”  Panthra began to speak.

            “Lies!”  Another growled, “The Royals have been supplying The Vulture Clan with weapons of power!”

            “That would be our brother Dark Dragon whom we are at war with.”  Lion Heart spoke up, “We are also known as The Banished.”

            “So you are the ones whom the Vulture Clan has been hunting for.”  The first one observed, “Cut them down.”

            “But Razor…”  The second one began to protest.

            “Do as I command Grey Claw!”  Razor commanded.

            “As you wish my brother.”  Grey Claw complied as he jumped up into the trees and set The Banished free.

            “My thanks Razor.”  Lion Heart shook his hand and then heard a giant thud as Tusk hit the ground.  “If you will excuse me for a moment.”  He walked over to Tusk and helped him up.

            “Of all the animals our brother could’ve turned me into and it just had to be the one who can’t land on his own two feet.”  Tusk complained.

            “Don’t let Dark Dragons’ sense of humor get to you.”  Lion Heart told him, and he turned back to Razor, “I believe our sister may have been taken by this Vulture Clan that you speak of.”  He held up the feather that had been found.

            Razor took hold of the feather and growled after he smelled it, “It is of Scavenger, the Chief of The Vulture Clan.  This confirms your suspicion.”

            “With your help together we can free our sister and aide you in your battle with The Vulture Clan.”  Lion Heart offered.

            “We shall leave that decision to my father, for he is the Chief of my clan.”  Razor informed him, “However you are welcome to stay with us for the night.  Follow me.”

            “Can we trust him?”  Tusk asked Lion Heart.

            “Right now any help we can get must be trusted before trust can be found.”  Lion Heart quoted from what their father had told them years ago when he had first met Jacob Cagney as The Dark-Rider during World War 2.

            “Quoting our father?  That’s a new one.”  Tigris said in surprise.

            “I did my best to listen our father when he was alive.”  Lion Heart said heavily, “And there are times I wished I had listened to him more.”

           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5

 

            Razor, Grey Claw and the other members of The Wolf-Men led The Banished through the jungle until they came into a forested area where they made it their domain.  They were welcomed by the rest of the clan and Razors’ father Chief Blood Claw; “Welcome to my tribe your majesty.”  Blood Claw bowed and the rest of the village did the same.

            “You know who I am?”  Lion Heart asked in surprise.

            “Your father and I were good friends when he was alive; I was saddened by his death.”  Blood Claw informed him as he rose up from the ground.

            “We all were.”  Lion Heart told him as they sat down around the fire.  “Tell us of this Vulture Clan whom you are at war with.”

            “Just a year before your fathers’ death the new chief of The Vulture Clan; Scavenger had killed his father to take his place in honor of his friendship with your brother Dark Dragon.  Before then his father and I had come up with a truce to honor each other’s territory.  But the same day he killed his father he led his forces with weapons of power.”

            “You mean weapons from the outside world?”  Panthra asked.

            “That is correct young one.  Ever since then we have been traveling like Nomads wondering from one corner of the forest to the other.  Soon we will have no place to hide unless we can find a way to defeat them.”

            “They have our sister Falcona and we won’t leave until we have rescued her and to honor my fathers’ friendship we shall stay and help.”  Lion Heart offered.

            “Your father offered us aide, but I was prideful turned him down, now I shall not make that same mistake.  I accept your offer and we will help you rescue your sister.”

            “I am glad to hear this.”  Lion Heart told him as they shook hands.  “We shall leave tomorrow.  A good night’s rest is what we all need and it will also give us time to plan our attack.”

            “A tent has been set for each of you.”  Razor informed them, “Rest well and I shall have my hunting party ready by sunrise.”

            Later that night Razor was in his tent resting on his cot when Grey Claw came in, “I don’t like this idea of us helping these outsiders.”

            “Then why didn’t you speak up while we sat around the fire?”  Razor asked him.

            “Because I have already fallen in fathers’ eyes when I lost my whole hunting party.”  Grey Claw answered in shame, “Why would he hear me out now?”

            “Whether you are in the right or in the wrong you sit at our fire of council therefore father must still have some trust in you.”

            “Maybe so big brother but still their lives were my responsibility.”  Grey Claw admitted.

            “To admit responsibility is a step closer to wisdom.”  Razor quoted.

            “Then may I ask for me to join you in this next hunt with the strangers?”

            “I would prefer no other than you my brother.”  Razor assured him.

            The next morning all the members of Razors’ hunting party and The Banished were awake and ready to leave as the sun rose above the mountains.  “May the God of all the earth be with and bring you good fortune on your hunt as well as your rescue of your sister.”  Blood Claw blessed them as they walked down the path. 


 

Chapter 6

 

            The cold night turned into a cool morning as Falcona awoke from her uncomfortable slumber.  She had been there for almost two days now and was beginning to become claustrophobic.  She saw that the guards that were guarding her had fallen asleep and she decided that now was the time to make her move.  As a little girl her father had taught her how to pick locks and had shown her how to hide lock picks within her clothes.  This was normally not taught to the other children but as a child she was the quietest and her father felt that in case they were to be in the times that they were in now someone had to be trained in this way.  Since being transformed into a humanoid falcon she had learned that she could hide things within her feathers and she pulled out a set of lock picks out her feathers and began to pick the lock. 

            It took her a couple of minutes but she was successful and slowly exited out of the cage.  She quietly stepped around the guards to look out the window and saw that there were no guards and thanks to her falcon sight she was able to see that everyone was still asleep.  She opened the door looking to the left and right to make sure there was no one to stop her from taking flight.  She opened up her wings and flew to the skies.

            Moments later K-Obra and Scavenger walked into the cabin that Falcona was being held in and found the two guards still asleep and Falcona had escaped.  Scavenger cawed in fury that awoke the two guards whom he ordered to be executed.  “How could she escape?”  He asked in irritation since he saw that the keys were still on the table far away from the cage.

            “What matters is that she has escaped and we must find her before she reunites with her siblings.”  K-Obra corrected.

            “I shall send out a scouting party to find her and bring her back.”  Scavenger vowed as he exited the cabin.  He called out for his best scouts and ordered them to find his future bride.

            Falcona was happy to be free from her imprisonment and at the same time concerned for her safety knowing that once her captors would find her gone that they would be looking for her.  She scanned the ground below to see if she could see any of her siblings when she heard a noise behind her.  She turned her head to see that a Vulture scouting party was trailing after her.  “Time for some fancy flying.”  She told herself out loud and began to fly at a low elevation to fly in between the trees.  As she did so she could hear arrows slamming into the trees.  She did her best to dodge them but after moments of a tiring flight she finally got hit in her upper right wing and crashed into the ground.

            “Grab her you fools quickly!”  The Scout leader ordered.

            Falcona rose up and began to run into the thicker woods.  She saw found herself against a mountain wall with nowhere to hide when suddenly a hole in the ground opened up and a humanoid mole popped up, “Quickly your highness.”  He rushed her and she dove into the hole without giving it another thought and the Mole Man closed it up.  “Now stay silent.”  He instructed as they heard noises above ground.  They could hear the vultures arguing on which way to go and seconds later there was silence.  “Okay it is safe now.” 

            “Thank you uh…”  Falcona began to say.

            “Dozer, that’s my name.”  He bowed, “And there is no need for thanks I am glad to assist you in any way.”

            “Could you take me to my siblings?”  She asked him.

            “But of course I shall send a messenger ahead of us while I take you to my place so my wife can bandage up your wounds.”  Dozer answered her and turned to another mole man beside him, “Go find her family and tell them to meet under the big tree in sector seventy-four.”  The young mole man nodded and dove into solid ground.

            “I didn’t know the beam could turn people into moles.”  Falcona said sadly.

            “Don’t feel sorry for us your highness we were all miners before we were all turned into mole men and women, but we this as a blessing.  Since a week ago we have been able to nearly triple our quota of precious metals and ores.”  Dozer explained.

            “Well I am glad that some good has come out of this.”  Falcona told him. 

            As they walked through the tunnels Dozer showed where all the miners were working and have worked since their transformation.  After an hour of walking they were finally at Dozers’ home whose wife was a mole woman and bowed before Falcona.  “I am happy to receive you into our home your highness.”

            “And I am happy that your husband was kind of to save me.”  Falcona said in turn.

            “Please sit down as I look at your wounds, and my name is Agnes.”  She led her to sit down.

            “And you both may call me Falcona.”

            “I shall take my leave to see if I can find your family.”  Dozer said as he bowed and exited the house.

            “Now why don’t you tell me all about yourself and how you came to this part of the island?”  Agnes began to converse.


 

Chapter 7

 

            The Vulture Scouting party returned to their camp after spending countless and useless hours of searching for the avian princess.  When they reported to Scavenger he scolded them of their uselessness and ordered them to be punished.  “You are very scornful to your subjects.”  K-Obra observed.

            “Fear is power over the weak minded, that is why I have been able to maintain control…and gained it.”  Scavenger explained.

            “Are you saying your father was weak minded?”  K-Obra asked him.

            “No but he was fearful of me taking over after he was dead…and he had every right to be.”  Scavenger chuckled evilly.

            “How did you do so?”

            “You mean Dark Dragon had told you?”  Scavenger asked and the standing serpent shook his hooded head.  “It was the anniversary of my fathers’ reign as chieftain of our tribe and there was a celebration and he had a bit too much to drink.  As he went to lie down to sleep I stabbed in the back with a dagger!  And once my kinsmen had seen that I was now the leader of the tribe we began our attack on The Wolf tribe.”

            “It would appear that killing one’s father is a rite of passage?”  K-Obra asked, “Beings that Dark Dragon did the same thing.”

            “Only those of us who’s hearts are evil can accomplish such tasks.”  Scavenger told him, “Now I shall gather my best warriors and we shall make one final attack upon the Wolf tribe and The Banished tomorrow!”  But little did they know that their conversation was being overheard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8

 

            Dozer dug to the surface to where he had heard voices and found that everyone was waiting for him by the big tree.  “About time you got here.”  Razor said impatiently.

            “Sorry but you’re father had asked me to do a special favor when I went by his tent to see if you were still in camp.”  Dozer apologized.

            “What kind of favor?”  Grey Claw asked.

            “He had asked me to spy on the Vulture tribe and a good thing too; they are planning on attacking your camp tomorrow night.”  Dozer informed them.

            “Then we must ready to move the camp.”  Grey Claw announced.

            “Not really…”  Lion Heart started to say.

            “What do you mean?”  Grey Claw asked in surprise, “They will destroy us all this time for sure.”

            “I have a plan but first I need to know about our sister.”  Lion Heart turned to Dozer.

            “She is safe and will join you tomorrow morning after she gets a good night sleep.”  Dozer assured them all.

            “Very well, and now this plan of yours.”  Razor pondered.

           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 9

 

            K-Obra and The Vulture tribe surrounded the Wolf tribe’s camp and began their ambush and when they opened the tents they saw that there was no one asleep.  The next thing they know the ground opened up below them and sucked them to the ground.  Everyone that was outside the tents heard the screams of their fellow comrades as they were drawn into the ground.  “What kind of sorcery is this?”  Scavenger asked as his men and he circled around.

            “Not sorcery Scavenger but strategy which is what your bird brain lacks!”  Razor’s voice called out through the trees.

            “You dare mock me?  Come out and show yourself!”  Scavenger demanded.

            “Very well!”  Razor called out.  Within seconds they whole Wolf tribe surrounded the remaining avian warriors.  “It is wise for you to drop your weapons and surrender peacefully; there is no need for any more bloodshed.”

            “That is where you are wrong Razor there is always need for bloodshed.”  He threw down his right arm and a wave of arrows flew from the skies pinning themselves into unguarded warriors of the Wolf tribe and they howled in pain.  “Music to my ears!  Destroy what’s left of them!” 

            “Charge!”  Lion Heart roared and Tusk ran up from behind him and charged through numerous Vulture men and Tusk heard the crunching of bones beings that birds’ bones were hollow.  The rest of The Banished joined in the fight. 

            K-Obra saw that the fight was pointless and slithered away and Tigris saw this and pointed out to Lion Heart who motioned her to forget about and focus on the fight in hand.  Scavenger saw that the battle was loss and turned to escape when an arrow struck him in his right hand wing.  He looked up and saw Falcona standing there with a bow and arrow in hand.  “You clipped my wings so I am returning the favor.”  She told him.

            “I don’t need to fly to escape.”  He began to run towards Falcona…and found himself in a trap.

            “Now looks who’s in a cage now.”  Falcona teased him.

            Seeing their leader had been subdued the other Vulture men ran in terror knowing that the battle was now over.  “Come back you cowards, come back and fight!”  Scavenger called out to them.

            It would appear that you have lost your army…poor, poor little birdy.”  Falcona continued to tease as he was let down from the trap.

            “I shall give you this warning only once Scavenger.”  Chief Blood Claw told him as he walked up, “Leave in peace and never return, for the next time your life will be forfeit.”

            “This isn’t over!  I shall have my revenge!”  Scavenger vowed as he walked away.

            “Famous last words.”  Lion Heart growled.

            “Come now let us celebrate our victory.”  Chief Blood Claw announced and everyone cheered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10

 

            The next day The Banished began to pack up their belongings and was given more food and water for their journey as a gift from the Wolf tribe.  “Please accept these humble gifts your highnesses as a token of our gratitude.”  Blood Claw bowed.

            “We accept with great honor.”  Lion Heart bowed in return.

            “May I ask where it is you are going?”  Blood Claw asked.

            “We are searching for a temple that is hidden away that holds the Horn of Assembly.”  Lion Heart answered.

            “I believe I know the temple you speak of.”  Razor spoke up, I would like to show you the way there and join you in your quest.”

            “We would be honored.”  Lion Heart offered his hand in friendship.

            “Father with your permission?”  Razor turned to him.

            “With my blessings, until you return your brother Grey Claw shall speak for you in council.”  Blood Claw announced.

            “Father are you sure?”  Grey Claw asked.

            “You have earned it.”  His father assured him.

            “Then shall we take our leave?”  Lion Heart suggested and was about to turn when Dozer popped out of the ground.  “Let me guess you want to come as well?”

            “If you’re majesties don’t mind my company.”  He told them.

            “Dozer your company will be most welcomed.”  Falcona walked up to him and planted a kiss on his cheek.

            “Then let us be on our way!”  Lion Heart announced with a roar and The Banished along with their newfound comrades walked side by side knowing that they were step closer to The Horn of Assembly!

 

© 2013 Michael Gill


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
Added on October 10, 2013
Last Updated on October 10, 2013

Author

Michael Gill
Michael Gill

Eugene, OR



About
I write Christian Sci-fi stories and am looking forward someday in getting them published for all who wish to read it. more..

Writing