The Alpha Force:  The Call Of The Alpha Force!

The Alpha Force: The Call Of The Alpha Force!

A Story by Michael Gill
"

Comic Book Sci-fi style with a Christian Emphases.

"

The Dark Rider Chronicles

The Origin of The Alpha Force

 

Prologue:

 

There are many different worlds out there.  Different timelines, and different realities. God exists in all of them as HE is not confined by the space time continuum. This is Earth 97, and these are The Dark Rider Chronicles. In the year 1977 the third world war had begun. The countries who had nuclear capabilities had destroyed nearly all their enemies, regardless of the cost of human life. This war lasted for ten years and not one country was left unaffected in the ensuing chaos! The surviving countries had decided to revamp the United Nations and bring the world under one ruling government. The surviving countries were given until New Years’ Day of 1987 to make their final laws to be passed and to remain active when they joined the New United Nations! All nations refusing to take part were cut off from all funding and left to fend for themselves. Furthermore, all religions would fall under one person’s watch, and he was called the Overseer. The Overseer would have a council of men and women from every religion to rule the churches registered and imprison those who refused to register. Many other changes were made, as you will see…


Date: 12/24/1987

Place: Washington D.C.

 

All the members of Congress had been meeting together every day since their summer break in August, to pass as many laws as they could. During their vacation, the decision was passed by The United Nations for all nations to join the new United Nations. Those who would not, would lose assistance from the new government. Come New Year's Day, Congress, The Senate and The House Representatives would no longer exist. In London, the Parliament would also be disbanded, and the other countries' governments would soon follow suit. They were informed that any laws passed prior to the change of government would be grandfathered in and stay in the books for five years and if proved its worth would be made a permanent law.


In the United States, there would be the President, the Vice President and Cabinet members. Each individual state would be represented only by their Governor. The Governors, in turn, would vote on their state's behalf. The world leaders would represent and vote on their countries’ behalf to the New United Nations, who also had a President and Vice President voted in by all nations.


Even though it was Christmas Eve, the members of Congress needed to pass one more bill that had to be done behind closed doors and kept secret from the public at large until the new government took over. A bill that would change the course of humanity forever.


"Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like bring forth our final bill that needs to be passed and signed by the end of our year."  A congressman from Oregon began his speech, “As we all know we have had made numerous advances throughout the past few years. From cell phones to tablets, and even now watches. But now genetically we are advancing. There have been many documented reports of men, women, and children having superhuman abilities. Now, there is been a private company that I have been working with called S.H.I.N.E. which stands for Superhuman Intelligence Network and Enforcement.


“They have lists upon lists of those who have been tested positive of this Abnormal gene code. They have proven their worth working in the shadows, but now the time has come for them to go public, not only be an asset for all humankind but for the new government as well. They have the resources and the know-how not only capturing these poor souls, but also to train them on how to use their powers. Think about it, not only train them but use them in whatever their skills are. From Intelligence gathering, military operations and even medical purposes. And even now, they are ready to do whatever is necessary to bring those people in. Even, if it means kidnapping them from their homes."


"Are you saying they can be ready to go now?"  Asked a congresswoman from Arkansas.


"I have them on speed dial as we speak, they are only waiting for your vote and his signature."  The presenting speaker answered, motioning towards the President. “Tick, tock, tick tock."


Two hours later after the bill had been finalized, and proud of his accomplishment of legitimizing S.H.I.N.E. Congressman Cagney was walking towards a limo waiting for him. Once he was inside, he saw he was not alone. "I see that you are here to award me?"


"That is correct."  the man answered him. "You have enough money to last you the rest of your life, and your wife shall be killed before you return to Oregon, it won’t be traced back to you."  The man said after handing Cagney a credit card with his metallic hand.


"Excellent!"  Cagney poured a fresh shot glass of bourbon and drank. "I'm glad I could be of service."


"I must be going; I need to oversee our operations." 


"Happy hunting."  Cagney wished him luck.


"Oh, and one more thing. Thank you for your services in giving us your children."  The man known to him as Cykrill exited the limo ignoring Cagney’s cries of defiance and got into a black SUV waiting for him.


When he noticed his cries were falling on deaf ears, Cagney grabbed his phone and frantically dialed. "Irene listen to me, I know I have no right to call you but it's important you hear me out."  Cagney kept pressing a button to tell the driver to stop the vehicle to keep a good cell phone signal.


"Matthew, I told you before and I'm going to tell you again that there is no way you are seeing the kids for Christmas..."


"Irene will you just shut up for one minute and listen to me! I made a horrible mistake.  They will be coming after the kids any minute now."  He told her as he noticed the driver had stopped the car and got out. 


"Oh, Matthew you didn't!"  Irene cried.


"Irene I'm sorry..." a deafening explosion cut him off!


"Matthew?  Matthew!"  She bawled and within seconds panic kicked in…or was it a motherly instinct?  Either way, she didn't have time to think about it.  She just needed to get her kids to safety.  She ran into her daughters' room and scooped her up into her arms.   She ignored the young girl’s frightened cries as she rushed to the family van and hastily dumped her into the back seat.  She sped from her home in Salem to a relative’s home in Silverton.


She pounded on the door in a panic state until the door opened up, "Irene?  You're not supposed to be here until tomorrow."  Jacob Cagney stated as he walked after her towards the living room.   


"Your nephew did the unthinkable."  She explained to him as she placed her daughter on the couch.  Irene briefly told him what had happened.


"I knew that something like this would happen but not today of all days."  Jacob said combing his hair with his hands nervously.


"I need to go and get Jeremiah from my sisters."  Irene headed towards the Victorian styled doors. 


"Maybe I should go with you."  Jacob offered.


"No! I need you to stay here with Nicole just in case I fail.  Someone needs to be here for her and help her understand who she is and what she is meant to do in life."


"I understand. I’ll do my best."


Irene knelt and kissed Nicole on the forehead saying, “be a good girl for your Uncle." 


Two hours later, Irene was in Cottage Grove and pulled up to her sister’s house. She did not even bother knocking on the door she rushed right in...and stopped short when the cold barrel of a gun pressed against her head.


"To the couch Mrs. Cagney."  A man in a black mask escorted her to where her sister was sitting, along with 2 other gunmen.


"I'm sorry Irene, they got here right after you called," Susan said hopelessly, sitting next to her husband.


"Now, you have two choices, Mrs. Cagney. You tell us where your daughter is and you, your sister and her kids stay alive. Or we kill you and your sister, and all of your kids come with us."


"I'd rather die than to tell you!" Irene sneered, as she struggled to break free of his grip.


"My sister’s right."  Susan agreed with tears in her eyes, knowing this act of defiance meant her life.


"Then you leave us no choice.”  The gunman said as he took off his mask, so they could see their tears would not sway him from killing them.  “But know this, S.H.I.N.E. thanks you for your contribution."  Each man put a bullet in their head. “Cleanup crew, this is Gunner 1, mission accomplished.”


Throughout the nation, children were kidnapped from their homes and that was just the beginning...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 1

 

 

 

He was running as fast as he could alongside his friends as they made their escape from their captors.  They had no idea why they had been kidnapped by these men…evil men who had experimented with them.  Not only them, there were others who had been taken around the world to similar facilities.  The facility they were in was made of a special metal that they had never seen before.  They had been told it was a special metal that prevented them from using their abilities.


They had received word from a guard, who was a double agent working against their captors, that their doors would release at 1:00am. The cameras in their rooms would be on a loop for only ten minutes so they had to run fast.


After the ten minutes were up, the klaxon alarms sounded, warning the guards that the children had escaped! The sound of the alarms made them run faster.  Behind them, the guards were shouting warnings that they would open fire if they did not stop and surrender. The others glanced at him while they ran, and he nodded in saying to move forward. The next thing he knew they were being taken down one by one…stunned. Within seconds he was the only left standing, but there appeared to be a shield of some kind protecting him as he made it out. He looked to see a girl who was the same age as him holding her hands up. Behind her was his dad and other men who had to be the fathers of his fallen friends.


He hugged his dad tightly whom he had not seen in months. “Come, Michael, we need to be going,” his father told him.


“But what about my friends?”  Michael protested, looking back.


“We’ll take it from here.”  The man next to his father said with a slight English accent.


“Your friends will be safe,” his dad assured him as he began to pass out from exhaustion.  “Michael?  Michael wake up!  Wake up!”  Michael Black woke up with his father standing over him.


“Michael, wake up!  It’s time for breakfast.”  His dad was thirty-four when he was rescued, he was now nearing forty.  But of course, they had never talked about that day ever again; as far as his dad was concerned, that was in the past and they were living a new life now in Eugene.


“I’m up dad,” Mike told him as he threw off the covers and got up.  “What’s for breakfast?”


“Cereal.”  His dad answered, “Patty has already left for her doctor’s appointment and your brother is eating at the table.”


“Had a bad dream,” he mentioned as he changed shirts.


“Same one?”  His dad asked, giving him an interrogative look.


“No, a different one.”  He lied, knowing the dream his dad was referring to.


“Finish getting ready for school, I’ll see you after work tonight.”  His dad told him as he left the room.


“Have a good day dad,” Mike called out to him as he looked in the mirror.  Green eyes, brown hair, five feet four inches, and weighed at 165 pounds.  “Not a bad looking guy,” he told himself.  He walked out of his bedroom and his little brother was sitting at the table eating pancakes for breakfast in the dining room.  “I thought dad said cereal was for breakfast?”


“I made these for myself.”  His brother Bill told him who had blonde hair, blue eyes, a little shorter than him and was as skinny as a rail.


“You’re twelve!”  Mike argued.


Hey, not my fault that I’m the smarter brother.”  Bill bragged.


“Well, if you’re so smart you should’ve made me some!”  Mike told him as he grabbed a box of cereal from on top of the fridge and grabbed a gallon of milk.  Bill was always bragging how smart he was, which in a way was true.  He was more academically adept than Mike and his grades proved it too.  Mike was smart as well in his own way, and if he pushed himself, he could be a straight A student, but he’d rather read comic books or work on music before learning things.  But he kept his grades up enough to keep his dad and stepmom at bay.  He finished his bowl of cereal, went into the kitchen to rinse it out and put it in the dishwasher.  “Come on smarty pants time to go to school.”


They lived in the western section of Eugene and were only a fifteen-minute walk to their schools.  Bill was in the 7th grade and Mike was in his freshman year of high school, and today was their first day of school. 


Mike had heard how the upper-class men tended to make the freshman feel “welcomed” in their new school.  Mike was bound and determined not be a victim and if he could, prevent others from being hazed. 


He had five minutes to get to his first class after he had made sure Bill made it school safely, thankfully the high school was down the hill.  He ran into his classroom and flopped down just as the bell rang! 


“Cutting it close aren’t you Mike?”  His Cousin Josh asked him.  Josh was at the same height as Mike but weighed a little less.  Josh had unruly black hair hung in his dark green eyes.


“No closer than your shaving job,” Mike joked back, referring to the nicks on Josh’s face. 


“Yeah, my mom’s idea.”  Josh grinned as he tried to hide the fresh cuts.


“Sure, it wasn’t your brother’s?  I mean, he is an upper classman.”  Mike suggested.


“My dad would kick his butt if Eric pulled that stunt,” Josh assured him.


The classroom hushed as the homeroom teacher sat up from his desk and walked to the front of the classroom to introduce himself.


“Welcome everyone, I am Mr. Redden, and I’ll be your homeroom teacher and your guidance counselor.”  He was in his mid-fifties, bald, brown eyes, African American, and a mustache.  He was heavy set and was at least six feet tall.  “So, if you have any issues or problems my door is open.  Any questions so far?”  A Hispanic girl sitting next to Josh who was wearing a red flower dress, raised her and Mr. Redden nodded.


“What if we get initiated?”


“Do your best to identify them,” Mr. Redden answered.  Mike raised his hand and Mr. Redden pointed at him.


“What if you choose to fight them off?”  Mike asked, and others laughed at him.  Wow, thanks for the support you guys, he thought to himself and saw that Josh slapped his palm to his face.  These were people that had known Mike for about three years now and knew how much of a joker he was.


“What’s your name son?”  Mr. Redden asked him doubtful.


“Mike Black Mr. Redden.”  He answered respectfully.


“Mr. Black, can I be straight with you?”  Mr. Redden asked him next and Mike nodded, “The chances of you defending yourself from four or five upperclassmen is, well, slim to none.”


“So, what you’re saying is I should allow myself to be cut up like my cousin Josh, here?”  Mike pointed to his cousin, “he told me it’s because he was shaving, but he’s still bleeding from a couple of the cuts.  Plus, they are too wide to be from a razor.”  That shut everyone up in a hurry.


“Is this true Josh?”  Mr. Redden asked.


“Yes sir, it is,” Josh said shamefully, as he looked down at his desk.


Mr. Redden approached him and looked at his face.  “You seem to be right Mr. Black.”


“So, if he were to give you a description of those responsible?”  Mike continued.


“Then they will be dealt with,” Mr. Redden assured his class.  “Is there anyone else that has been “initiated” this morning?”  Half the class raised their hands.  “Mr. Black, it would appear you have encouraged others who have been victimized to regain their bravery.  Well done.”


Mike was happy that he was able to help his friends, and even those he had never met.  “But going back to your original question.  I would suggest that if you were to defend yourself, then it’s best to have a can of mace and run!”


After homeroom was over, some of the students placed their written statements on Mr. Redden’s desk, would be given to the principal later that day.  Mike and Josh walked over to their next set of classes which was a block of English, History, and Science.


Once the block classes were over, they went to lunch.  They were joined by their best friends they had known for the past four years. 


“Gee Mike, did you have to paint yourself a target on the first day?”  A.J. asked.  He had short brown hair, brown eyes and was a bit taller than Mike and Josh.


“Yeah, I’m a bit nervous just sitting here with you.”  Justin mentioned.


“I refuse to become a victim of hazing.”  Mike told them, “I dealt with it most of my life already, and I refuse to allow my high school years to be the same!”


“We were there for some of those years too, if you recall.”  Justin reminded him, brushing his dirty blonde hair from his hazel eyes.


“Yeah, I know, and besides if we watch each other’s backs, I am sure we can get through this first week unscathed,” Mike stated.


“Well except me.”  Josh pointed to his face, “And if they come after you guys, I wouldn’t mind putting a couple of bruises on their faces.”


“’Vengeance is mine, says The Lord.’”  Mike reminded him, with a wan smile.


“I know, but then give them bruises defending others.”  Josh agreed, clenching his fists.


“That’s more like it!”  Mike nodded with a grin.


“You guys and your religious junk.”  Justin criticized and rolled his eyes.


That was the downside of his group.  A.J. and Justin weren’t Christians.  They were seeking, but their gods were that of filling whatever vice they could get their hands on legally.  But at least they respected Mike’s and Josh’s beliefs, unlike some of the other people they went to school with.  Christianity had become a minority among the worlds’ religions.


“Josh are those the guys that attacked you?”  Mike asked, jerking his head to the right and Josh nodded.  “At least now we know what they look like.”


“How’s that supposed to help?”  A.J. asked him, arching a skeptical eyebrow.


“Simple, if they gouge our eyes out, at least we know what they look like. Justin answered jokingly.


Josh looked up and saw the Hispanic girl from their homeroom class and noticed the upper classmen were getting up to follow her.   “Guys, it’s not just our backs we need to look out for.”  The others followed Josh’s gaze.


“Let’s go,” Mike told the others, and they followed them towards the gym where the girl was about to enter the women’s locker room.


“Going somewhere sweet thing?”  One of the jocks leered.


“Yes, to get ready for class, now if you don’t mind…”  She told them.


“Not until you show us what’s under that skirt!”  Another jock told her.


“Excuse me…”  Mike’s voice came from behind them, “I do believe the lady isn’t interested in that type of extra-curricular activity.”


“And the last time we checked; rape was a crime.”  Josh brought up.  The girl took advantage of the distraction the guys were giving her and dove into the locker room.


“Hey, get back here!”  The third jock shouted at her.


“You guys really have bad luck with women, don’t you?”  Justin laughed.


“Why don’t you worms leave now before we squash you?”  The final jock threatened.


“Uh oh, guys I think we’re in trouble,” AJ observed sarcastically.


“Too bad you guys will have to add assault to your attempted rape.”  Josh shook his head at them.


“You have no proof.”  The first jock countered, “It’s her word against ours, and we’re on the football team.”


“Oh really?”  Mike asked them and held up a tape recorder and played it for them. 


“Going somewhere sweet thing?”


“Yes, to get ready for class, now if you don’t mind…”


“Not until you show us what’s under that skirt!”


Mike stopped the tape, “What was that about proof?  Oh yes, we have it.”


“Give us that tape frosh!”  The second jock rushed at him and Mike stepped aside at the last second.  The jock crashed into the bleachers as Mr. Redden walked into the gym.


“What’s going on in here?”  Mr. Redden asked as he approached.  Mike and the others explained quickly what had happened and handed him the tape.   After he listened to it, he looked at the four jocks.  “You four come with me!”


Hey, we’re on the football team!  We’re untouchable!”  The hurt jock protested.


“Yeah, the coach told us that!”  The third spoke up.


“Well he was wrong, and I’ll tell it to his face.”  Mr. Redden countered him with assurance in his tone.  Turning to Mike and his friends, “Mr. Black, you and your friends get ready for your next class.”


“Will do Mr. Redden,” Mike saluted him.


Well, that’s four less upper-classmen to worry about,” Justin spoke up wiping the sweat off his face.


“Yeah, but I’m sure once word gets to their buddies they’ll be coming after us.”  A.J. brought up.


Hey, I wanted to thank you guys.”  The girl stepped out of locker room in her gym gear.


“Glad to be of help.”  Mike stuck out his right hand, “Mike Black.”


“Gina Hernandez.”  She shook his hand, “You guys better get to class.”


“Already there really,” Mike told her, and he pointed to the men’s locker room.


“Well then, I’ll see you in a few.”  Gina gave him a wink.


Thankfully, the rest of the day, there were no more close calls for Mike and his friends.  Mike had received a text from his brother saying he got a ride home from football practice, which meant Mike was in the clear to walk home from band practice by himself.  Mike went into the band room and immediately brightened to see Gina sitting in the clarinet section. 


“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were stalking me.”  She told him with a bright smile that brightened the room.


“Well with a smile like that, I take that as a joke.”  He sat down next to her, “Clarinet?”


“Yes, I love it don’t you?”  She asked him as she assembled her instrument.


“Been playing it since the fifth grade.”  He said proudly.


“Well, maybe we might get lucky and end up playing the same parts.”  She told him.


“That’d be cool.”  Mike nodded in agreement.  The rest of the day was full of auditioning for parts, and then after school they had Marching Band.  


“You live far from here?”  Mike asked her as they walked towards the field to practice.


“No, but I wouldn’t mind after all that happened today to have an escort.”  She told him.


“Then I shall be honored to do so,” he smiled gallantly and struck a pose.  Gina giggled before the Drum Major called for attention.


After practice was over, he looked at his phone saying that Josh and others made it home safely.  Gina and Mike walked down West 18th Street and was about to turn to an ally 3 blocks away from where Gina lived, when they were confronted by the four jocks. 


“Uh oh, I think we made a wrong turn,” Mike told her, and she nodded.


“You two aren’t going anywhere.”  The first jock threatened.


“Because of you, we’ve been suspended from school and our football careers are pending.”  The second jock grumbled.


“And it’s so nice of you guys to give us an update,” Mike told them as he and Gina turned around and was surrounded by four more guys.  “The evens are definitely not in our favor.”


“Don’t you mean odds?”  Gina asked in confusion.


“Eight against two,” Mike told her.


Oh I see...”  Gina groaned.


“It doesn’t matter because we’re going to teach you a lesson!  And then we’re taking her home for another lesson.”  A jock behind them warned.


“Do whatever you want to me but leave her out of this.”  Mike offered.


“No way you little punk,” exclaimed the injured jock.  “You’re going to pay for what you did to me, and she’s gonna know what it feels like to be a s**t that she is!”


“Okay, now you’ve made me mad!”  Mike balled up his fists, “You can say any words to me, but to insult her…that’s a big mistake.”


“Then allow me to stop your ears!”  The third slammed the palms of his hands against Mike’s ears and caused them to bleed a bit, and the others laughed.


“Are you okay?”  Gina asked Mike who was starting to get up.


“Yeah, but he should’ve knocked me out instead.”  Mike stood up and his eyes began to glow green.  “You should’ve knocked me out!”  He right hooked his assailant and he dropped like a sack of bricks!


“You see that?”  One of the jocks behind them asked.


“Let’s take him!”  The team captain charged.


“No more Mr. Nice Guy!”  Mike roared as he ducked down and punched the guy in the gut with his left fist and knocked him out with his right.  Another approached him, and Mike landed a high kick to him in the jaw, then pivoted to slam a right fist to another jocks rib’s!  Mike kept this up until all of them were down for the count


“Where did you learn to fight like that?”  She asked him.


“My dad was in Special Forces a long time ago, and he taught my brother and me how to defend ourselves and others.”  He told her briefly picking up their backpacks.  As he handed Gina’s bag to her, the look on her face said she did not believe him. 


“Your eyes glowed green!  And you moved faster than any of them!  You’re one of those people they’ve talked about on the news that have the Abnormal Gene, aren’t you?”


“Yes, please don’t tell anyone!”  Mike pleaded with her.


“Walk me back to my house and tell me everything.”  Gina told him with a smile.


“Three years ago, in middle school, I began to develop these abilities.  Super Strength, speed, regenerative healing…”  Mike started to list off, and she gave him a puzzling look.  “I can heal from my injuries.  I can also fly.”


“So, you don’t need pixie dust?”  Gina asked him with a silly grin on her face.


“No, and if you’re good, I promise tomorrow we’ll fly home.”  Mike teased her as they walked up to the steps of her house.  “Shall I walk you to school tomorrow?”


“I’d like that very much.”  Gina leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.  “Stay close to the ground fly boy.”


“Until tomorrow earth girl.”  Mike winked at her as he as sped off to his house.


The following two weeks, Mike and Gina were inseparable.  They had gone on a couple of dates.  The more time they spent together, the more Mike opened about his secret to her. 


“How did you train yourself like you did?  I don’t think it’s just because your dad taught you.”  She held him close as they flew through the sky. 


“When my family was not around the house, I would use my speed to make a mess of the house, and then clean it up.  We also have a punching bag in the garage, I would practice on that, using my speed and strength.  You wouldn’t believe how many times I had to fix that thing.”


“I bet.”  She laughed and hugged him closer.  “I’m ready to meet your parents tonight.” 


“Sweet!  Now they can stop bugging me about it.  My brother doesn’t think you exist.” 


“Time to prove him wrong huh?”  Gina winked as they descended to the ground in front of Mike’s house. 

As they approached they walked through the door, Mike found his family in the living room.  “Hi guys, I’d like you to meet Gina.” 


“Michael, you’re timing as always is horrible.”  His father told him.  “I’ve got some news, we’re moving to Silverton in a couple of weeks.” 


“Moving!”  Mike exclaimed in disbelief.  “When did this happen?”


“Michael, I told you I was looking for a new job.”  Frank told him.


“Yeah, here in Eugene!  Not somewhere else!”  Mike began to tear up. 


“Gina, I’m sorry we have to meet you like this.”  Patty stood up from her chair and offered Gina her seat.  “Mike’s been bragging about you for days now, and we’d hoped to meet you sooner than this.”


“Actually Mrs. Black, I was the reason Mike hadn’t introduced me sooner.  I wasn’t ready to meet you until tonight, and I’ve enjoyed being around Mike so much, that time had slipped by us.” 


“Frank, maybe we should have Mike walk Gina home, and then when he comes home we can talk things out, as a family.”  Patty offered.


“Good idea hun.”  Frank agreed as he stood up from his chair and offered his hand to help a crying Gina up.  “I too am sorry to meet you like this Gina, my son cares for you very much, and it’s nice to see him smiling more.”


“Thanks Mr. Black.”  Was all Gina could say.


“Bill, isn’t there something nice you’d like to say to Gina?”  Patty looked at his brother.


Bill stood up and shook her hand, “I’m glad you’re real.” 


“Me too.”  Gina told him.  “Shall we Mike.” 


“Yeah, let’s get going.”  Mike said sadly. 


“Michael, one more thing.”  His dad began to say, “take your time if you need to tonight.”


“Thanks dad.”


“Just make sure you’re back no later than 2300 hours.” 


“Thanks again.”  Mike said as he opened the door.


“It was nice meeting you all.”  Gina told them before she stepped out of the house.  Once they were outside, Gina hugged onto him.  “Take me home fly boy.”


The two weeks went by quickly as they settled in and registered into their new schools.  In between times, Mike was spending every moment he could with Gina.  They went on a few more dates and flew anywhere she wanted to go.  Before leaving Mike spent one more night with his friends going to a movie and dinner.  He high-fived Josh, A.J., and Justin one last time.  He walked up to Gina and held her in his arms one last time. 


“Stay close to the ground fly boy.”  She whispered in his ear so only he can hear her. 


“I promise, earth girl.”  Mike kissed her on the lips. 


“Promise me you’ll come back when you can?”  Gina asked him.


“I will.”  He told her as he let her go.  He walked away from her house saddened knowing tonight would probably be the last night they’d ever see each other again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2

 

 

 

At the beginning of October, they finally moved into their new home.  Mike sat quietly in his room the night before going to school.  He was reading a book when his dad knocked on the door and came in. 


Hey, Dad.”  Mike marked a place with his finger as his dad sat down at the foot of his bed.


“What are you reading?”  His dad asked him.


“David Copperfield.”


“How many times have you read that book?”  His dad asked with a curious look, knowing it was one of Mike’s favorite books.


“At least ten times in the last year,” Mike shrugged.


“You ready for school tomorrow?”


“I think so.”  Mike shrugged again as he put the book down.


“You’re thinking about her, aren’t you?”  His dad asked him as he sat down on his bed.


“Every moment.”  Mike sighed.


“Son, I’m sure you’ll meet some nice girl here in this new school, once you’ve settled in.”


“Even then dad, do you really think I can also make the same great friends I had in Eugene?” 


“Only you can answer that son.”    


After staring around the room, trying to avoid each other’s gaze, Mike said as he began to yawn, “I need to get to sleep.”


“Okay,” Frank said as he stood up and crossed the room.  He paused in the doorway and turned to back Mike’s gaze.  “Just remember son, every day is a new beginning.”


Mike awoke in a cold sweat!  That dream again!  I’ve gone nearly a month without having it and it’s back!  Why now?  And why did it feel so real this time?  Mike looked at his alarm clock and it read 3:33 am, Nearly three more hours left to sleep…the next thing he knew his alarm was blaring at him.  As he went to press the off button and jumped out of bed…into the air!


“Michael are you up?”  His dad called out.


“Uh yeah, Dad!”  Mike responded, “I’ll be out there in a couple of minutes.”  As he looked down to the floor he thought yeah, I’m up all right.  Using full concentration, he slowly descended onto the floor without making a sound.  As he left his room, he grabbed his backpack, and clarinet case.  He placed them on the floor next to his chair and served himself a bowl of oatmeal.


“Sleep all right son?”  His dad asked finishing up his breakfast.


“Yeah, like a rock,” Mike told him.


“Yeah, you must have, since you got rocks in your head,” Bill told him as he sat down.


“Better than marbles.”  Mike shot back.


“Boys, no arguing at the table.”  Patty told them as she came into the room, “Besides, it’s your first day of school…again, and the last thing we need is you two going to school with bruises.”


“Don’t have to worry about that since I can’t be on the football team.”  Bill complained, “Too late in the season.”


“So, what are you going to do instead?”  Their dad asked.


“Join the drama team, and try out for the basketball team,” Bill answered.


“What about you Michael?”  Patty asked.


Mike held up his clarinet case, “You’re looking at it.”


“Michael, I know this is transition is going to be rough on you, but you need to do something else outside of the band.”  His dad told him crossing his arms which were always a sign that he was getting impatient.


“Like what?  I don’t have any other interests outside of the band.”  Mike said, knowing he was being rebellious towards his family a bit, but at this moment he didn’t care.


“Yeah, and that’s all you want to do, outside of reading books or comic books.”  Patty joined in.


They’re trying their hardest to make sure I move on from not just the move, but from Gina as well.   “Fine!  I’ll join a book club, happy?”  Mike snapped as he went into the kitchen to wash out his and his brother’s bowls.


“Why not try out for a sports team?”  Patty asked.


“Um yeah, I don’t think so,” Mike told her from the kitchen.


“Why not bro?”  Bill asked.


“Jock hater remember?”  He pointed to himself as he entered the room.  “I don’t want to be called a hypocrite.”


“You need to lose the attitude young man!”  His dad warned as he got up out of his chair.


“What attitude?  I’m speaking the truth!”  Mike said as he picked up his backpack and clarinet case.  “Besides, I like being the shy guy.”


“What for?”  Frank asked irritably.


“People tend to leave me alone that way,” Mike answered honestly.


“You’re never going to meet girls like that,” Patty chastised him.


Oh ouch, that really smarts!  Time to end this conversation, so I can get out of here.  “Boy, if I knew teenage life was going to be this hard, I’d join up with The Lost Boys and fly off to Neverland with Peter Pan!”  Mike explained sarcastically.


“You know what…just go to school and try to fit in.”  His dad told him in defeat.


“Ha!  I win, and why would I want to fit in, there’s no fun in that.”  He gave them a wink and left the house.


“Your son…” Patty told him with a grin.


“Don’t remind me.”  Frank groaned, putting hands in his face.  “I’m off to work.”  He said with a sigh and looked at Bill, asking, “Shouldn’t you be heading to school?”


“Yeah, I’m on my way now.”  Bill assured him as he picked up his backpack, “I’ll introduce my new girlfriend when I get back home tonight.”  He called over his shoulder.


“Again your…”  Patty began to say without trying to laugh.


“Don’t even finish that sentence.”  He kissed her and walked out of the house to go to work.


“And that leaves me with all the dishes.”  She said as she walked into the kitchen and froze.  It was completely clean with the dishes drying on the counter.  “Now when did that happen?”


Mike was sure glad that no one was watching him when he cleaned the kitchen for his step-mom; That’ll stump her for sure; he thought to himself. Now let’s see if I can go one day without causing any problems. 


Mike walked to Silverton High School, and as he did so, he observed how everyone interacted with one another.  It was a nice town full of nice people, a lot different than the city that he had gotten used to the past few years. 


He walked into the school and went to the front office to get his schedule and locker assignment.  He found his locker and opened it up.  He put his things inside and closed it to find himself face to face with a hazel eyed girl. 


“Can I help you?”  Mike asked her.


“I’m actually here to help you.”  She told him, “I’m Nicole Cagney; I was assigned to walk you through your day.”


“That’s nice, but I think I can handle it.”  Mike told her as he studied her.  Boy, was she beautiful!  His height, athletic build, she wore a purple shirt and blue jeans.  Okay maybe dad was right.  But I won’t tell him.  “Are you in all my classes, though?”


“Some but not all and I’m here to help you through your first week.”  She wrote a note and handed it to him, “Here’s my schedule and anytime that we have the same class together you can talk to me about things here at Silverton High.”


“Thanks, and I’ll keep that in mind.”  He folded the note up and put in his pocket.  “Anything else?”


"Just don’t try to impress anyone, no one likes a showoff."  She gave him a wink and walked away.


Mike briskly walked through the hallways until he reached the band room.  At least I can begin the day with what I love to do.  He was introduced by his new band teacher Mr. Bars who was in his early forties.  He had short brown hair and mustache.  He was skinny and was almost six feet tall. 


“Class, I would like to introduce you to our newest clarinet player Mike Black, he comes from Eugene and has just moved here to our nice small town.  Please make him feel welcome, and a part of our happy family here in the band.”  The students cheered and applauded as Mike took his seat.  He put his clarinet together as he listened to Mr. Bars list off the number of songs that they were going to practice for Friday’s football game in the state playoffs.  There were many songs that he remembered from his former school’s Marching and Pep Band:  Iron Man, Mustang Sally, Are you ready for some football? and of course the school’s own fight song.  Towards the end of the class, Mr. Bars reminded everyone of after school practice on the baseball field.


After class was over, he went to his next class which began his block classes of English, Math, Science, and History.  There he saw Nicole, the girl who had introduced herself earlier that morning.  Again, he was introduced to his block class and was welcomed.  The teacher whose name was Mrs. Carol assigned him in a group of six, which made him the seventh member.  He looked around and saw rest of the class was divided in a similar way. 


“The groups are not only used for projects, but it helps the teacher out with attendance.”

          

“Makes sense.”  Mike nodded.  His group introduced themselves, first was Dan Clay, then David Frost, Clara Embers, Nicole Cagney, Ally Smarts, and John Shocken.  Dan was a stocky young man with tannish brown hair, just a little taller than Mike and had brown eyes.  Dave was about the same height as Dan with tanned skin, black hair, and brown eyes with an athletic build.  Clara was a petite red head who was five feet tall with green eyes.  Ally was a brunette with brown eyes, was at least a little over five feet tall and Dan’s cousin. John was as skinny and athletic as Dave, with Caucasian skin, wore spectacles with short, jet-black hair.  Mike had the feeling that he knew them from somewhere but couldn’t remember where.


While walking home after practice, he sensed someone following him.  Using his super speed, he rounded the block and came up behind his stalker.  It was none other than Nicole.


“First of all, I don’t like being followed, and two why are you following me?” he demanded.


Nicole jumped in fright and whirled to face Mike.  “Don’t scare me like that!  I thought maybe we could walk to the town library together to meet up with the others,


"Others?”  He asked, confused.


"Group project, remember?  For history?”  She prompted sarcastically.


“I can't make it; my dad has a strict curfew for me.”  Mike said as an excuse.  “But I will have my part ready in time for class tomorrow."


"Do I have to remind you that we will be deducted points for you not showing up?"  She pushed, rolling her eyes.


"Do you have a cell phone?"  Mike sighed as she handed it to him and reluctantly punched the numbers.  "Hi Dad, I was just reminded that I have to go to the library with my class group otherwise we get docked a grade...to present an oral history report...no the teacher isn't going to be present with us...I'll get a note from her tomorrow.  Okay, see you in two hours."


"See, that wasn't so hard," Nicole said brightly.


"It's either I bring a note stating that we had to do this, or I'm grounded for a week."


"Well, then shall we be on our way?"  Nicole said as she pushed Mike in the general direction of the library.  Mike groaned as he let himself be led away.  


After Mike was done at the library he walked into the house.  He saw his dad and step-mom sitting in the living room.   Across from them were his brother and a petite skinny girl, at least five feet tall, with black hair and blue eyes. 


“Let me guess…new girlfriend?”


“Yep her name’s Lisa.”  Bill introduced her proudly.


“Where’s your girlfriend?”  Patty asked accusingly.


“I left her in my locker,” Mike answered sarcastically.


“Michael!  Patty asked a serious question!”  His father roared.


“You’re right, Bill your brother is a total loser,” Lisa said with a sneer.  She got up and looked Mike in the eyes, “And to think you both came from an attractive man like your father.  What happened to you?”


“Why thank you, Lisa,” Frank said pleasantly as the girl beamed at him.


“I’ll tell you what happened,” Patty spoke up as she got in Mike’s face, “It’s all those comic books you keep reading.”


“Not only that but hanging around a bunch of losers.”  His brother got up and joined Patty in front Mike.  Mike stepped back, wanting to put distance between himself and his families verbal attacks as his father chimed in.


“And always going against the flow.”


“Why don’t you do us all a favor and go kill yourself,” Lisa said with her blue eyes glowing.  “Your family will be so much better without you.”


“You really know how to pick them, Bill,” Mike jeered at him.  He met Bill’s eyes and saw a blue ring around his eyes.  “Bill, focus on me!”  Mike’s own eyes began to glow green.


“What?”  Bill asked with a dazed look.


“You’ve all been hypnotized by her,” Mike informed them.


“You should’ve been in my power by now.”  She told him, “But no matter, your family is under my power.”  She turned to them, “Kill him.”  Their eyes turned white and began to attack Mike.


“I hate to use my abilities against you guys, but you leave me no choice,” Mike told them.  Within seconds he went into the storage room grabbed a roll of duct tape, came back and placed each of his family members in a chair and secured them with the duct tape.  “Now be a good family and stay there until dinner is ready.”


“How in the world did you do that?”  Lisa demanded.  She charged him, but he dodged to the side.  Mike threw her into another chair and duct taped her in place.


“Must be something in the genes.”  He told her.  “Now I’ll ask the questions, but first you will release my family from your hold.”


“Or you’ll do what?  You’re the good guy.”  She countered with a sneer, struggling to get free.


“Am I?  Or am I just another villain in the making?”  Mike’s green eyes glowed with power once again.  He picked up the chair she was in and flew out of the house via the front door.  Seconds later they were high above the town of Silverton.


“You wouldn’t!”  Her yelled, voice shrilled with fear.


“Care to try my patience any further?”  He asked her mockingly.  He let the chair drop a couple of feet, before catching her again.  Lisa shrieked, eyes screwed tight with fear, and tears streaming down her face.


“I was sent to have your family kill you, and then they would be taken.”  She answered breathlessly.


“Taken where?”  He demanded harshly.


“I don’t know, I swear, I don’t know!”  She sobbed, looking up at him.


“Who sent you?”  He asked next.


“I…I can’t tell you.”  She stammered, shaking her head.


“No?”  He asked and dropped her a couple more feet.


“The S.H.I.N.E. organization sent me!  They’re the ones who taught me how to use my powers!”  She screamed.


“Well I hate to break it to you, but you failed.”  He told her as they slowly descended, and he carried her back into the house.  “Now break your hold of my family.”  She nodded and within seconds they shook their heads, coming out of their stupor.


Michael, what’s going on here?”  Frank wondered as mind cleared.


“Dad, it’s a long story,” Mike told him as he worked to cut him loose.


“Why is Lisa tied to the chair, and why are we tied up too?”  Patty asked, struggling against her bonds.


“The last I remember I was introducing them to her,” Bill told him.


“She introduced herself to you guys all right, she hypnotized you,” Mike told them in response to their confused looks.


“But how?”  His dad asked, holding his wife close to him.


Mike met her gaze.  The look in her eyes begged him not to tell them her secret.  He turned back to his family and shrugged.


  “Her necklace, she told me she used it.  She already had you duct taped in the chairs.  She was just about to kill you when I stopped her.   By the time I secured her to the chair, you guys woke up.”


“How did you stop her?”  His dad inquired. 


“Well you taught us to never hit a girl, so I just pushed her into the chair she’s in,” Mike explained quickly.


“I called the police, they’re on their way,” Patty told them as she hung up her cell phone.


An hour later, after the Black family had given their statements to the police, the officers put Lisa into the back of a patrol car.  She mouthed “Thank you” to Mike, who nodded. 


Mike turned to his little brother.  “Sorry about your girlfriend,” he patted him on the shoulder.


Thanks, big bro, but that’s ok…I’ll have a new one by tomorrow,” Bill shrugged nonchalantly as he walked into the house. Mike looked up to the sky.


“Of all the brothers you could’ve given me.”  He grumbled, exasperated.

 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

 

The next day at school in history, it was time for Mike and his group to give their oral report.  Daniel started with what happened after New Year's Day of 1987. 


"When it was announced to the public that the United States was now a part of The New United Nations, the American Riots began.  America itself was the only nation that was put into curfew within 24 hours of the change of government.  Those who rioted believed that they should have been able to vote on whether to be in the UN or not.  Others felt as if their way of life would soon be taken away from them."


Dave:  "No matter the reasons, the newly formed government was not going to be challenged by anyone.  They had a backup plan.  They were called The Cyber Defenders.  They were criminals who were given amnesty if they were willing to become cyborgs and fight alongside the good guys.  Within a matter of days, peace was brought back to the nation."


Mike:  "Those who were apprehended were put into jails.  However, another legislative act was put into play.  Prison Island was created for all criminals who were beyond redemption.  It is a place where people the world wishes to forget are sent:  Murderers, rapists, sex offenders, and even terrorists."


John:  "Once everything had settled down, new changes were made.  In medical and technology alone, diseases were being cured thanks to the multi-nations working together as one.  And together, we have been able to clone human body parts for people to live long and healthy lives.  The internet has also been faster and more reliable than any other time in history."


Nicole:  "One of the legislative acts was for everyone to have a job and a place to live.  Over the last four years, the homelessness population has dropped by nearly 80% and more jobs are being created every day."


Ally:  "Another legislative act was the Equal Education Act.  This would allow anyone who wanted a free education to attend any school if they were able to keep acceptable grades.  It allowed those who go to public schools the same rights to learn the same subjects as in private schools.  In addition, it also made some schools build dormitories for those who wanted to move across the country, so those who were once homeless teens or those who were orphaned due to the American Riots would have a place to live."


Clara:  "Speaking of orphans.  Sadly, between the riots and World War 3 some families were torn apart.  Some were killed by looters, rapists, and even by the Cyber Defenders because they refused to lay down their weapons.  More orphanages were built in every city in America, allowing them a safe place to live."


"Well done all of you."  Mrs. Carol applauded, and the other classmates joined in.  "We shall hear from group 4 tomorrow."


As Mike and his group were leaving school for the day, they decided to go and celebrate acing their report. 


"We sure do make a great team."  John brought up as they walked through the school parking lot. 


"Yeah, we sure are."  Ally agreed, and the others nodded.


"So, what are your guys' plans?  Go for ice cream?"  Nicole asked.


“Not exactly,” Dan told her as his body turned into mud.


“We’ve been ordered to bring you two in,” Clara said as she was consumed by flames.


“So, come peacefully or we’ll have to do things the hard way.”  Dave finished as ice formed along his frame.


Mike picked up Nicole, “Sorry but we’re in a rush.”  Using his speed, he rushed passed them towards the parking lot exit.  He skidded to a stop as John appeared in front of them!


“Why the hurry?  The fun is about to begin.”  John said with an evil smile and his hands crackled with electricity.


“E.T.R.!”  Nicole shouted, and they disappeared.


“Where did they go?”  Ally asked looking around.


“It doesn’t matter, we’ll get them next time, it’s not like they’re going to skip school,” Dan told her as he returned to normal.


Seconds after Nicole had given the command Mike was standing in front his house.  “E.T.R.?”  He asked her in confusion.


“Emergency Teleportation Retreat,” Nicole told him distractively, digging through backpack.  “Here take this.”  She handed him a watch.


“What is it?”  He asked as he put it on.


“It is a communicator, if they show up again contact me.”  She looked around to make sure they were alone.  "Look, I should've been up front with you from the start.  I'm not exactly human.  I’m like you, someone with a special ability."  Mike gave her a surprised stare. 


"You are Mike Black, son of Frank Black, aren't you?"  Mike nodded.  "Your dad used to work with my Uncle.  They were part of a Special Forces Team called The Ghost Squadron.  And they are the dads of the kids we just escaped from.”


"So, these nightmares I've been having are of the past?" Mike asked, memories falling into place.


Nicole nodded and told him, "Look I gotta go.  We’ll talk more tomorrow.  I need to report to my Uncle what happened."

“Wait, anything else?"  Mike asked her, as he grabbed her arm.  

“Don’t tell your dad what happened today.”  She warned as she teleported.

 

 

Chapter 4

 

 

 

The Alpha Force returned to their base of operations…The Super Human Intelligence Network and Enforcement Organization or better known as S.H.I.N.E. 


“You failed!”  Master Control spat at them in rage.  “Not only you but Lisa as well!”


“What happened to her?”  Dan asked.


“She was arrested after being stopped by Michael Black!”


“But at least we’re still here.”  Clara pointed out.


“Yes, which means you will have one more chance of capturing him, and his female companion.  Whatever she knows about his powers, needs to be kept to us and only us, even if that means you kill her.”


“Kill?  You’ve never said anything about us killing anyone!”  Ally protested.


Master Control pressed a button on a control panel on his arm.  As they all winced in pain, they looked as if they were under a trance.  “I see that your old selves are trying to come out.  But thankfully that’s why I have this little device that allows me to control, you even very far away.  Now, what will you do if necessary?”


“Kill Nicole Cagney.”  They all answered in a monotone.


“Excellent, now return to your quarters until morning.”  Master Control ordered.


“But sir, what of their evening exercises?”  The assistant asked him.


“Oh yes, thank you for reminding me.  They do need some more practice, don’t they?”  He then turned to the teens, “You heard him!  Go to your exercises.”  They bowed and went into their practice room.  “I love being in control of these freaks.”


Nicole teleported home to finding her Uncle Jacob waiting for her.


 “I see that you have acquainted yourself with Michael Black.”


“Have you been watching me, Uncle?”  She asked him as she put down her backpack.


“I wouldn’t be The Dark-Rider if I didn’t.”  He answered honestly.


Well, soon you may no longer have to worry about it.”  She told him with a wink.


“If you’re referring to Michael Black taking over as The Dark-Rider…then you are correct.”


“What about his dad?  You remember how he was all those years ago about his son being an Abnormal.”  Nicole reminded him.


“I know.”  Jacob nodded, “Which is why you two must do whatever it takes to bring the others back into the fold.  Then and only then together we can convince Frank Black to come out of retirement to save his team.”


“But how are we to save the others?”  Nicole wondered.


“Let me tell you.”

 


Chapter 5

 

 

 

The next morning Nicole met up with Mike as he was walking to school, “So my uncle came up with a plan to rescue the others.”  She told him.


“How so?”  He asked her, raising an eye brow with uncertainty.


“They are being controlled by a man known as Master Control.  They’ve been implanted with a mind control device at the base of their brain stem.  We need to block the signal and short it out.”


“How do we do that?”  He next asked her.


“First, we need to get them together, and then I’ll press a button on my watch and it will begin to block the signal.  Then we need to get them to my uncle’s house, and he will short out implants.  But I have no idea how we are going to get them all together.”


“I have a plan,” Mike told her subtly.


“What is it?”  She stopped him in his tracks with a hand on his chest and looked in him in the eyes.


“You won’t like it, but it’s the only way I think it will work.”  He answered solemnly as they walked up to Dan’s locker, “Hi Dan.”


“Hello.”  He greeted them casually.


“We will surrender to you and your friends after the football game tonight,” Mike told him, ignoring Nicole’s urgent tugging on his elbow.


“Very well, but no resistance will be tolerated,” Dan instructed.


“And none shall be given,” Mike assured him.


As they walked away Nicole scolded him quietly, “That’s your plan?”


“Can you think of a better one?”  He asked her softly, and she shook her head.  “They won’t have our hands tied because that would be a dead giveaway.”  He continued.


“I see where you’re going with this,” Nicole said thoughtfully.  They continued walking in silence before she spoke up, “I agree it is a good plan.”  She admitted. 


“Glad you agree, now I shall take my leave.”  He bowed gently and walked off to band.


Nicole giggled as she turned away blushing wondering what it would be like to kiss him someday.  Then she shook her head in disbelief trying to erase the pictures out of her head.  I don’t have time for schoolgirl fantasies, I’m a super hero for Pete’s sakes.


During their block classes, Nicole was on edge.  She was certain their former friends were going to attack them at any time.  Unknowingly Mike shared her concern.  Once the football game was over, they walked together casually under the guise of good friends carpooling home.  Once they were inside the van, Dave sat in the driver’s seat, as Dan climbed into the passenger’s seat.  John sat next to Mike in the front row and behind them were the girls sitting on either side of Nicole.  When Nicole buckled her seat belt she activated the frequency via her watch.


As they drove away Mike could see that their plan was working.  The boys were rubbing their foreheads in unison and Mike risked glancing over and saw the two girls were doing the same.  A few moments later Dave pulled the van over and no sooner had he put it in park, they all passed out. 


“Okay wasn’t expecting this,” Nicole admitted.


“Stay where you are for a moment,” Mike told her as he looked inside the glove compartment.  Sure enough, there was a tracking device under the steering column. 


“We can’t drive to your uncle’s place.”  He told her as he pointed to the device, “Can the teleportation thing work from here?”


“Yes, but it’s never been tested to carry more than two people before,” Nicole warned him.


“No time like the present.”  He shrugged as he began to move the two boys from the front seats into the back of van where John was sitting.  Next, he placed Dan and Dave’s hands on John's shoulders, then placed his hands on each of their shoulders.  “I’m ready.”


Nicole caught onto the idea and she grabbed each of the girls’ hands.  “Same here.”


 “E.T.R.,” they called out in unison.  Within seconds they were on the floor of her uncle’s library.    Nicole stood up to attention noticing her uncle jumping out of his elegant arm chair and approached them. 


“I know this isn’t what we had planned…”  She trailed off under Jacob’s cool gaze.


Sorry, we had to improvise.”  Mike apologized as he stretched out his hand and offered a handshake.  “Mike Black at your service.”


“It’s nice to meet you again.”  Jacob greeted him, returning handshake.


“Now I remember you,” Mike said in amazement.


“You should, he’s the reason why you’re not like your friends.”  His dad’s voice came out of the shadows behind Jacob.


Mike flinched as he turned towards his dad. “Uh, does this mean I’m grounded?”  Mike gulped.


“Let’s just say that we’re going to have a long talk on the way home.”  His dad assured him ominously.  Mike gulped again.


“Help us get them seated,” Jacob told them as he took Clara into his arms.  Mike carried Dan and Dave over his shoulders, as his dad carried John and Nicole carried Ally.  They sat each of them into a chair and Jacob took a device out of his desk.  It looked like a ray gun out of an old black and white Science fiction film.


“This will send out a frequency that will permanently disable their implants.  But first I need to calibrate it to the right frequency.”  Jacob adjusted the settings.  “There that should do it.”  He aimed the gun at the base of the neck of each teens neck.  He fired one shot on each of them and their bodies jolted in spasms in response. 


“Don’t worry, it is just their nervous system responding to the disablement of the implant,” Jacob assured Mike who was about to come to their aide.


An hour later they awoke from their slumber and rubbed the back of their necks.  Man, why does it feel like I have giant flea bite on the back of my neck!”  John complained, and others grumbled their agreement.


“I can explain that,” Jacob told them, and he explained to them what had happened to them over the years in captivity and they had been under the control of The S.H.I.N.E.


“And our parents are still alive?”  Clara asked with tears streaming down her face.


“Yes, and we know where they are being held captive.  Without the blueprints and the security layout of the location, we could be falling into a trap.” Jacob explained.


“But where would the blueprints be?”  Ally asked.


“It is in the main computer inside The S.H.l.N.E. Building,” Jacob answered.


“Either way we’d be walking right into a trap!  We might as well go in there with a white flag of surrender!”  Dave exclaimed.


After a heavy pause of pondering.


“Then that’s exactly what we’ll do,” Mike said slowly as his mind raced.


“Say what?”  All of them, including his dad asked incredulously.


“Oh no…you have a plan, don’t you?”  Nicole moaned.

 

 

 

Chapter 6

 

 

 

“Have I told you how much I hate this plan?”  Nicole asked in disgust.  “I mean, I really hate this plan!”


“Only for the twentieth time,” Mike answered calmly as he sat next to John.


“So please explain to us, once again, how this plan is going to work,” Clara said in agreement with Nicole’s disbelief.


“It’s really simple.”  Mike started out, “Jacob has masked the implants’ signal stating that it’s still active.  All you must do is carry out their orders.  Well, unless they order you to kill us, then we’ll just have to refer to Plan B…”


“There’s a Plan B?”  Ally smacked herself in the face.


“Yeah still working on that one.”  Mike slowly assured her.  “Now as I was saying, once you guys are free to go about your way from this Controller person, John will go to the computer and download the information onto the disc that Jacob gave him.  Once he’s done with that he will join Dave in the garage to upgrade this van as fast as possible.  At exactly at 11:00pm we will regroup and leave.”


“And if your plan fails?”  Dan wondered.


“Then we’ll just have to improvise,” Nicole answered, making sure she got her two cents in.


“By the way, out of the two of you who’s the leader?”  Dave asked them pointing between Mike and Nicole.


“I am!”  They both answered.


“Oh, if only we stayed in Egypt.”  Clara cracked a joke and they all busted up laughing.


Black Ops and Dark-Rider followed them from a couple of miles in their old Battle Van.  “I can’t believe you kept it around after all these years.”  Black Ops said out of the blue.


“I knew one day you were going to need it.”  Dark-Rider told him, “So how does it feel to be back in the saddle again?”


“Feels like old times,” Black Ops answered with a wry smile.


“What did you tell Patty?”  Dark-Rider asked.


“The truth.”


“How did she take it?”  Dark-Rider wondered.


“Let’s just say, Michael isn’t the only one I will be having a long talk with.”


As the teens approached the S.H.I.N.E. building, they drove into a secured parking lot with armed guards waiting for them.  Nothing like a warm welcome, Mike thought as he climbed out of the van.  The Master Control stepped forward.  He was tall with balding black hair and blue eyes.  So, this must be Master Control.  He doesn’t seem too tough.


“It’s about time!  What took you so long?”  Master Control demanded irritably.


“We had car trouble,” Dave answered blankly.


“And you didn’t think of calling for backup?  That is against procedure and you know it!”  Master Control snapped.


Uh oh, better get ready.  Mike thought as he glanced at Nicole and she nodded subtly, indicating she was ready.


“It was an easy fix,” John spoke up.


“Very well,” Master Control sighed as he looked at Mike and Nicole.  “So, these are the two you couldn’t capture yesterday?  Explain yourselves!”


“As I mentioned in my communique, they surrendered to us during school.  We felt it was a good tactical decision to wait until the football game was over, so no one would be suspicious.”  Dan explained.


“Must I remind you that we are under orders from The United Nations?  We don’t have to answer to anyone!”


“You didn’t cover that in your briefing with them,” The assistant reminded him quietly.


“It doesn’t matter!  They’re here and they have apprehended the two in question.  I say that is overall a good thing.”  Master Control turned to the guards standing by, “Escort them to them to the holding cells until we are ready for transport.”  He then returned his gaze back to Dan and his team.  “As for you, you have gained yourselves liberty hours for the rest of the evening.  My reward for you on a job well done.”


“Thank you, Master Control.   We are here to serve,” The said in unison and went their separate ways.


Mike and Nicole were taken down three levels down from where they had been held.  The guards shoved them into the cells and activated the force field to prevent them from escaping.  Once they were gone, Mike tried to use his abilities but couldn’t do anything.


“There must be some dampening field in our cells.”  He informed Nicole.


“Do you think the others will be okay?”  She asked him, concerned.


“They’ll be fine,” Mike assured her, and they sat down and prayed together that God would protect their friends.


The scientists didn’t give it a second thought as they saw John coming into the lab.  It was where he would spend most of his time when he had liberty hours, a nice quiet place to work on special projects.  He walked up to a spare terminal and began to hack into the security files that safeguarded The Society’s secret facilities.  It only took him a matter of seconds to find what he was looking for and downloaded the file.  Once he was done, he strolled back to the garage where he met up with Dave.  And within a half hour, they were able to do the necessary upgrades to the van.  Once they were finished, they went into the Rec Room where the others were waiting for them.  As they entered the room John nodded at his friends.  Dan looked to the others and they got up from their seats as he pressed a button on his watch.


Mike’s watch beeped, and he nodded to Nicole. 


“This is all your fault!”  Nicole yelled vehemently.


“How is it my fault?”  Mike retorted.


“You and your stupid plan!”


“It would’ve worked if you would’ve done as I instructed.”  Mike snapped.


Hey, you two knock it off!”  One of the guards hollered from across the room.


“Why don’t you come in here and make me.”  Mike turned his anger on the guard.


Oh, how macho of you.”  Nicole mocked.


“I told you both to shut up!”  The guard walked up to the cells.


“Make me bone head!”  Mike taunted some more.


“That does it!”  The guard yelled angrily as he turned off the force field.


“Max don’t!”  The other guard warned him, but it was too late.  For when Max had turned off the force field it also turned off the dampening field in Mike’s cell.


Mike punched him in the face with a right cross, “Sucker!”


“I won’t let you escape.”  The other guard warned, but he realized that he couldn’t move.  “What gives?”


Oh, I just freed my partner in crime,” Mike answered him nonchalantly.  He grabbed Nicole’s hand and they ran.  Okay, this is bringing back memories,” Mike grinned at her.


Yeah, but at least this time we know our plan is going to work,” Nicole told him as they ran into the garage where the others were waiting.


“Okay boys and girls let’s get out of here!”  Mike told them as they got into the van.


Dave hit the gas pedal and they sped off.  As they approached the garage doors they saw that they were closing.  “Uh oh, I think they’re onto us,” Dave informed.


“Then let’s hope the modifications we made in this van work.”  John murmured as he pressed the button on the console.  Two missiles fired from sides of the van and blasted the doors wide open!


Yeah, baby!”  Ally whooped and gave Clara a high five.


“We’re not out of the woods yet,” Mike told them.  They were being fired upon by the guard towers.  Mike activated his communicator, “We’re taking a beating here, some backup would be nice.”


“Don’t worry son the cavalry is on its way!”  His dad’s voice came through and within seconds a black van crashed through the gates and fired missiles at the two towers.  “Now, upload those schematics to my Battle Van and we can head for our next objective.”


“How long will it take to get out there?”  Clara asked.


“We’re three hours out,” Dark-Rider answered.


“Then that’s how long we have to come up with another plan.”  Nicole winked at Mike.


“John show me those blueprints.”  Ally told him as she looked over John’s shoulder.  “I think I may have found a weak spot.  I can memorize everything I see and hear.  As well as read and speak any language...even blueprints."  She said proudly.


"Then with your help, I can come up with another plan!"  Mike said with growing excitement.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

 

“What do you mean they’ve escaped?”  Master Control demanded.  


“They tricked us…”  Max said rubbing his jaw.


“I tried to tell him not to open those animals’ cages!”  The other guard grumbled, pushing the other guard forward.


“Hey!  Just whose side are you on?”  Max retorted.  


“That’s enough!  Both of you!”  Master Control ordered.   


“Shall we discipline them?”  The assistant asked Master Control.


“No, I think they learned their lesson now that they are out of a job.”


“What shall we do about the escapees?”  The assistant asked.


“Find out what John was doing in the lab, it may hold the key to the whole plot.”  Master Control told him.


There was silence in room while The Assistant’s fingers flew across the tablet screen.  Within seconds The Assistant looked up, brows furrowed in concern.


“John uploaded a virus into the computer system after he downloaded some files.”


“What files could they possibly want…?”  Master Control’s voice trailed off.


“Sir?”


“I know exactly where they are going.”  Master Control said as an evil smile spread across his face.


During the long drive to the facility, the team worked on their plan. 


“On the Northeast side corner is a blind spot from the eastern tower which gives us an edge.”  Mike began to explain when they were moments away from their target.  “Since Dan has the ability to control any type of soil, we can tunnel underground and straight into the cell blocks.”  Mike took an electronic marker and marked the path along the electronic map.  “Once inside, we’ll free the families and then head home.”


“Sounds too easy.”  His dad commented.


“It is best, though, to use stealth as our ally in this matter.”  Dark-Rider countered.


“Plus, we all have an arsenal of abilities that no one will want to mess with.”  Clara bragged.


“That is true.”  Dark-Rider chuckled over the communicator.


“We’ll contact you when we get to the site.  Black Ops out!”  He glared at Dark-Rider as he turned off the communicator.  “What did I tell you about encouraging them?”


“You know it is their destiny as well as your son’s.”  Dark-Rider answered sternly, “why do you keep denying it?”


“It’s not the life I want for him that’s why!”  Black Ops shouted.  “I don’t have to remind you where this type of life leads.”


“Frank, I’ve been doing this type of work long before you were even born.  I’ve lost more than you can possibly imagine.” 


“I lost my first marriage!”  Black Ops argued.


“And I lost my only fiancé!”  Dark-Rider shouted back, “To a murderous coward!  This made me realize that the type of life I was going to lead would be too dangerous.  You, on the other hand, are more courageous than I was.  You remarried and had a family, where Nicole is the only family I have, and yet here I am having her work on a mission with me!”


“That’s you Jacob, not me, and not my son.  Whether it is his destiny to be the next Dark-Rider,”


“You would defy God?”


“No, but I’m sure God can find someone else to do the job.  After this, I am done.”  Black Ops concluded.


“Very well, and the others?  The teens?”


“You still have that device called The Memory Jar?”


“You can’t be serious?”  Dark-Rider looked at Black Ops dubiously.


“I’m dead serious.”  Black Ops said darkly, “You are to use it on all of us…including my son.”


“And what if everybody’s abilities return?”


“Then at least we will not be the wiser.”  Black Ops said passively.


“Any other requests?”


“Yes, just one more.  Make sure my son doesn’t ever know me as Black Ops.”


“I will do that for the others as well.”  Dark-Rider conceded. 


Silence fell heavy for the remainder of the drive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8

 

 

 

The teens rode in silence as Mike was mapping out his plan in full detail.  For some reason, they all trusted him as if they knew he was meant to lead them.  They parked a mile out from their objective when they arrived.  They gathered around Mike for one last briefing. 


“The way we need to take is about a full mile from here.  Team A will consist of Black Ops, John, Dan, Allison, and myself.  Team B will be Dave, Clara, Nicole and Dark-Rider.  Team B will cause the diversion, while Team A infiltrates.  Once we’re inside and have found the parents, we’ll have John set up the explosives throughout the building.  Nicole will put up a barrier around us as we leave to ensure protection from the blast.”


“Sounds like a good plan, but don’t you think they will have my team heavily guarded?”   Black Ops asked.


“I’ve already factored that into the plan and that is where we come in,” Mike assured him as he motioned to his friends.  “Don’t forget what we’re capable of.”


“Plan is now in order, let us proceed.”  Dark-Rider motioned for all of them to get into position.


It took a few minutes for everyone to get into position.  Once each team signaled that they were ready, Team B began their attack.  Within seconds the familiar sounds of klaxons rang throughout the night.  Men and robotic tanks went out to meet the opposition. 


“Now Dan!  Mike yelled at his friend.  As Dan melted into mud as he tunneled into the ground.


They followed Dan under the building and resurfaced a few minutes later in the cell blocks.  Dan made steps out of solid dirt for them to walk up.  Black Ops and Mike peered over the edge to check for resistance.  Seeing none, they motioned to the others that it was safe to surface.  Even though they were levels below ground, they could still hear the noise of battle. 


“Sounds like Team B are giving them a hard time up there,” Ally mentioned.


“Sounds like it.”  Black Ops agreed and motioned for them to follow his lead.  It took a few minutes, but they were able to find the parents.


“Black Ops is that you?”  A voice whispered from one of the cell blocks.


“Yeah Cookie, it’s me and I’ve brought help.”  Black Ops answered and stepped aside to show that he had backup.


“You brought the kids here?”  Grease Monkey voice came from another cell.


Yes, we’re here.”  Ally spoke up.


“Praise God!  We thought S.H.I.N.E. had kidnapped you.”  Clara’s mom’s voice rang through.  “Where’s Clara?”


“She’s outside with Dave and Dark-Rider distracting the outside forces,” Mike explained.


“How could you let them do that?”   Hertz demanded, “Our kids aren’t soldiers!”


“We’re more than just kids,” John told his dad as he threw a lightning bolt at each of the cells.  “The Society did make us soldiers, but now we’re on the winning team.”


“But, how did you-” John’s mom started to ask.


“We’ll tell you later.”  Mike interrupted.  “Right now, we need to…”  Mike’s voice trailed off.


“What is it, Mike?”  Dan asked him.


“The noise outside stopped,” Mike answered ominously.

“Maybe Team B took them all out,” Ally suggested hopefully.


“Or maybe,” The Master Control’s voice rang throughout the room as they were surrounded by soldiers, “they were the ones taken out.”  They saw that Team B were being held with collars around their necks and Master Control appeared at the railing on the floor above.  “They put up a good fight, you would be proud of them.  But now the fun is over.”  He pressed a button on his control pad.  The parents pulled out concealed weapons and trained them on their own kids.  “And you thought you were the only ones that I controlled?”  He tisked, “what a glorious day it is for The S.H.I.N.E.!  Not only do we finally apprehend the troublesome Dark-Rider, but also Black Ops and the future Dark-Rider at the same time.  They will reward me handsomely for this!”


“Yes, they might even make you a real boy,” Mike told him and everyone including The Master Controller gave a stunned look.

 

Chapter 9

 

 

 

“I think Mike has lost it.”  Dan lifted his hands in surrender.


“I agree with you.”  Black Ops said flatly as he also raised his hands.


“What do you mean by him making me a real boy?”  The Master Control demanded.


“When’s a puppet not a puppet?”  Mike riddled.


“When it has no strings.”  John answered, “wireless remote control!”


“No one controls me!”  He spat in disgust.


“Oh really?  Let’s find out!”  Mike sneered as he used his speed to run up to The Assistant and grabbed the tablet out of his hand and broke it in half.  


Master Control went limp. 


The Master Control I presume.”


“How did you…?”  Master Control spluttered.


“I noticed it when we were at S.H.I.N.E. Headquarters that your tablet never left your hands and noticed that you were constantly typing into it.  To everyone else you were probably inputting data when in fact, you were giving commands.”  Mike grabbed him by the lab coat and they floated down to the lower levels as John relieved the guards of their weapons, thanks to his lighting speed.  “Plus, while Nicole and I rushed by one of the labs I happen to notice “Master Control” charging his batteries.”


“Why didn’t you tell the rest of us this?”  Dark-Rider asked him, and Mike saw his dad crossing his arms.


“And spoil the surprise?  The only thing I didn’t factor in was you controlling the parents, nice touch on that one by the way.  But you see, you really showed your hand when you decided to speak up earlier.  While your puppet was speaking, I noticed you were mumbling the words as you typed on your tablet.”


“How could have you possibly known that?”  The villain asked in bewilderment.


“Simple, I was reading your lips.”


“So, what should we do with him?”  Dark-Rider asked.  “He hasn’t committed any crimes that could be proven in a court of law.”


“Cover up a cover up with another cover up?”  Black Ops asked.


“Yes, that would be best.”  Dark-Rider agreed.  “We’ll use The Memory Jar.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10

 

 

 

Once they returned to the underground headquarters the teens wanted to see The Memory Jar that was mentioned.  “We’ll show it you later but first we need you to go in that room over there.”  Dark-Rider pointed to across the hall and they loudly protested before complying.  He turned to Nicole, “Not you, I’ll need your help.”  They escorted their prisoner to The Memory Jar and secured him into the chair.  Then they strapped a large metal cap over his head.


“So, what exactly will this do?”  Cookie asked.


“It’ll erase memories from his mind and they will be stored on the computer.  And within the computer are different scenarios, that we could implant into his mind giving him a whole new life.”  Dark-Rider explained as he turned on the machine, erasing every memory that The Master Control ever had.  “Now let’s give him a few new memories…and there!  We’re finished.  When he wakes up tomorrow, he will find himself in a hotel room about to start his new job working as a lab tech in an optical lab.”  He walked over to Nicole and handed her the keys to one of the cars parked in the garage, “Drive him to the Silver Stone hotel and put him in the room.”


“Very well,” Nicole grumbled and was about to motion to the others to join her when her uncle stopped her.


“I need them to stay and run some tests on their abilities,” Dark-Rider told her as he put the unconscious Master Control into the car.


“Okay, fine!”  Nicole whined as she walked over to the car.  After she drove off, Dark-Rider turned to the others.  


“You know what we have discussed, and have agreed?”   All the parents nodded.  “Very well,” Dark-Rider sighed.


 He walked over to the room where the teens were laughing and having a good time, and poked his head in.  “Your parents and I would like to discuss something in private, so I am closing the door,” Dark-Rider said.  He walked over to a control panel and pressed a button.  Moments later, the teens were slumped in their seats fast asleep.  Once they were all asleep, Dark-Rider warned the parents, “We must move quickly before my niece returns.”


Nicole hated doing solo missions, especially this one.  She walked into the hotel’s front desk and contacted her uncle’s friend who was in charge.   She explained the situation as he helped her carry the guy into the room and laid him down on the bed.  She thanked the clerk before she got into her car. 


“Mission accomplished,” she told herself as she drove off.  I don’t understand why he would need to test their abilities when The Holo-Dome wouldn't be online for another week…oh no!  The realization of why she was sent by herself hit and she floored it back to the others.


The car came to a screeching halt and she jumped out of the car.  She ran inside to find her friends passed out on the cots in the medical room and Mike secured in The Memory Jar.  “You didn’t! How dare you…”  She began to tear up.


“I’m sorry Nicole it was the only way.”  Dark-Rider began to explain to her gently.


“How could you?”  She screamed at all of them, “those are your sons and daughters!  Do you have any idea what you have done?”


“Yes, and we’ll be going under the same treatment as soon as you are done.”  Black Ops told her coldly.


“Over my dead body!”  She snarled as she threw a shield up.


“Control your niece!”  Black Ops demanded after his failed attempts of pounding his way through her shields.


“That is the one thing I cannot do.”  Dark-Rider told him, “When she has her shields up there is no way of penetrating it.”

“Very well, but she is to never contact my son ever again!”  Black Ops ordered.  “Or so help me I’ll…”


“You will do nothing!”  Dark-Rider countered, “I will fulfill all you have requested of me, but if she is to contact your son and the others, you will be none the wiser.”


“Let’s just get this over with.”  Black Ops growled as he walked to The Memory Jar to retrieve Mike.  He noticed the scanner on the console was different than the others, “There’s something wrong with it.”


“Let me see.”  Dark-Rider looked at the scanner and shook his head in amazement, “It would appear there is more to your son’s abilities than meets the eye.  He has the ability to regenerate, and his brain is already beginning to heal itself.”


“How long until his memory fully returns?”  Black Ops asked him.


“A week from now.”  Dark-Rider turned to Black Ops and said, “whether you like it or not, he will become the next Dark-Rider.  Now shall we finish?”


About an hour later all the families of the teens were all passed out.  Nicole dropped her shields after the procedures were complete.  She stormed up to her uncle and slapped him in the face, “That’s for taking away my friends’ hopes and dreams of becoming a superhero team.”


“I wouldn't say that,” Dark-Rider assured her.


“What do you mean?”


“When Black Ops and the others weren't looking, I made sure that Mike and the others would know that they are all still friends.”


“You mean there is a chance that we will still be together?”  She asked him with hope in her eyes.


“In a couple of weeks, their abilities will once again manifest,” Dark-Rider told her proudly.  “The Alpha Force will rise again!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Interlude

 

 

 

He stood at the edge of the cliff, the last of The Dark-Riders.  Beside him stood The Dark-Riders that rode before him.  Appearing in front of them on a bright white cloud was The Son of Man, Jesus.  Behind them were all the saints, awaiting this final battle…Armageddon. Michael Black, the seventh and last Dark-Rider spoke.


 "Here we are at the brink of the final battle between good and evil.  It only seems like yesterday I was a teenager...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 11

 

 

 

Mike knew he was dreaming again.  It was the same dream every night; he and his friends ran away from their tormentors who had taken them from their homes and experimented on them.  Mike saw a black figure coming out of the shadows in front of them, leading them towards the exit…freedom.  He was just about to run through the exit when heard, “Michael! Dinner’s almost ready!”  He awoke with a start and found himself sweating over his homework.  


“Are you almost done with your homework?”  His step-mom asked him through the door.


“Almost!”  He called out, as he sped through it.  As he walked out of his bedroom, a familiar smell wafted through the house.  Hamburger Dish, as it was called in his family.  It was hamburger, noodles, and cream of mushroom soup.


His dad walked through the door coming home from work, normally a serious man, but lightened up when he saw his wife.


“Hamburger Dish again, hon?”  He complained jokingly.


“Well, we have to have something that it will last at least a couple of days and the way the boys had been eating lately, it seemed like a good idea,” Patty explained.  “Especially Michael, how he's not gaining his weight back is beyond me.”


“I've been working out, going on my evening runs, and my metabolism is speeding up.”  He explained defensively.


“You don't need to explain yourself, we told you that hundreds of times.”  Patty reminded him.


“Where's Bill?”  Asked Frank, interrupting them.


“He's at a friend’s house, it's just us three...”  Patty started when Bill walked into the house, “Never mind, so what happened this time?”  She crossed her arms waiting for an answer.


“Nothing, decided to come home for dinner instead,” Bill answered quickly.


Patty gave him a glare, “The truth?”


Bill sighed and answered, “I was at Tommy’s house and we were goofing off with his chemistry set…”


“And?”  His father asked.


“We nearly blew up his garage after working on a chemical experiment...His father said, I’m not allowed over there for a couple of weeks.”


“In that case, you’re grounded for the next two weeks, from any of your science projects.”  Their dad told him in a stern tone. 


“What about for school?”  Bill asked with a smirk, thinking he could get away with not doing any school work. 

          

  “You knew what I meant.  You’re not allowed to work on your side projects.”


Now if you boys are done arguing.”  Patty interjected, “You all can set the table after you wash your hands.


A few moments later, they sat at the table, gave thanks and started eating.  As they did, Mike turned on the small TV in the dining room to watch the American News, it was something new for the family.  Mike was usually reading his comics or writing his stories during dinner, so for the rest of them, this was a nice change.  The news reporter was on location at the S.H.I.N.E. Organization headquarters in Washington D.C.  


“This is Martha Martinez here at the S.H.I.N.E. Headquarters and with me is Dr. Kendra Johnson.  Dr. Johnson would you please remind our viewers what S.H.I.N.E. stands for?”

Dr. Johnson was a thin woman in her mid-thirties, with brown hair. “It stands for Super Human Intelligence Network and Enforcement.”


“Would you please remind our viewers the reason for such an organization?”


“As you know Mrs. Martinez, there have been sightings over the years of men and women with unusual capabilities; Abnormals as we have begun to call them due to them being born with the Abnormal Gene.  To ensure their safety and the safety of the citizens of the world, the U.N. Government has set up this organization.”


“What is the Abnormal Gene?” 


“It is a recessive gene we found to be active in certain individuals, and some of them, do not have the capability nor the training to control it. Which is another reason why this organization has been established.”


“So, you have trained people to...”


“Oh no my dear, we don't use people.  This is the 21st century; we've modified The Cyber-Defenders from the riot squads from the previous years.”  She said proudly.


Mike nearly choked his food down.  Did she say Cyber-Defenders?  


“You okay, there big bro?”  Bill asked.


“Fine, just went down the wrong pipe.”  Back on the TV, Dr. Johnson was introducing two of the Cyber-Defenders.


“These are first two of many to come, Gunner and Rocko.”


“Wait a minute Dr. Johnson they both look familiar...”  Her voice trailed off.


Yes, these two used to be the famous father and son gangsters known as Papa Gunna and his son Rocky.  As you know the Cyber-Defenders program uses convicted felons with life sentences.  They are given the choice whether to stay in prison for the rest of their lives or gain amnesty by becoming Cyber-Defenders to be programmed to find these Abnormal humans.”


“Aren't you afraid that they will revert to their evil ways?  Do you think the average taxpayer will allow the Cyber-Defender program to continue?  I mean the human rights activists...”


“No!"  Dr. Johnson interrupted.  "On the first question, we have implanted a chip which regulates what decisions they can make. In addition, I believe, as well as our Government believes that once the public sees them in action that they will put their worries at rest.  As far as the activists go I will be more than happy to give them copies of the paperwork that both new Cyber-Defenders have signed before undergoing the operation.”


“Why call them Cyber-Defenders?  If you do not mind me asking, for the viewers at home, since some of them may not remember what their functions were in the past.”


“I believe it would be self-explanatory, however, they are here to defend the public from any unusual happenings that may have been caused by these anomalies.  They have built in sensors to detect the Abnormal Gene in anyone.  Now I am sorry, but I must get back to work.”  and before she could finish Mike shut off the TV.


“Is something bugging you, son?”  Frank asked in concern.


“It's just that they didn't cover more on those who have The Abnormal Gene.  I mean what if they're just innocent of all of this? How do we know who would have it?”


"Michael, it would be better for all of us if those people were rounded up."  His father pointed out.


Well, I am sure that is what exactly what that organization is for.”  Patty guessed.  "We shouldn't have to worry about such things."  Mike’s jaw tightened with frustration and began clearing the table.


About an hour later, he walked off the steps of his porch and began his normal routine, walking to the school and started jogging around the track.  Ever since he saw the news report, he could not help but be angry towards his parents' response.  


If only they knew...Lost in his thoughts he began to pick up speed until the fence post around the track became a blur.  He slowed to a normal rate, not that he was paranoid or anything, but it was always best to be safe than sorry. The need for caution was a priority.  


“I think I'll stay earthbound for now.”  He told himself as he briefly considered flying home.  A scream shattered his thoughts, “Okay so much for that idea.”   He sped two blocks down the road to a house with the surround blaring through the open windows.


“Great, that's just great,” Mike shook his head, “I need to be more careful.”


A couple of miles away stood a building that resembled a Victorian mansion from the outside, but the interior belied that impression.  Beneath the building in a series of natural caverns, computers whirred and hummed.  In a darkened lab, a teen girl’s voice echoed, “It’s begun.  Mike’s abilities have already returned in full swing.”


“Then he is one of many to come; make sure we send him an invitation tomorrow."  A man’s voice responded to the girl’s announcement.


“With pleasure.” 


***


The next day at school, Mike opened his locker and a small note fell out of it.  He bent down, picked it up and unfolding it.  “Mr. Black, please come to my house at 1245 Woodrawl St. I have a job offer that you might be interested in. Jacob Cagney.”


“Hi there.”  Said a female’s voice from behind.


“Oh Nicole, hi, how's it going?”  Boy, she was a beautiful girl.


“Good, are you ready for your band class?"


“Like you have to ask?”  He asked rhetorically, with a curious grin, “But you aren't in my band, so why’d you ask?” 


“Because I know you’re in it…I'll see ya later.”  Mike stared after her intently as she walked away, that he didn’t hear his best friends Dan and Dave walk up to him.


“If I didn't know any better, I would say that someone has a crush on you.”  Dan said placing his hand on Mike’s shoulder to get his attention.  


“Why do you say that?”  Mike asked, as he turned around and broke his gaze from Nicole’s departure. 


“Oh, come on Mikey.  You’ve only been here at school for a couple of weeks, and you've already caught the eye of one of the most beautiful girls in our group.”  Dave slapped him on the back jokingly.  “How do you do it?”


“Look guys, I don't know where you get your delusions, but there is no way in this blue-eyed world a wonderful girl like her would go with a Sci-Fi geek like me.”  Mike waved his hand down at his green tinted glasses and all black clothes.  "But brains are in this year."


“Keep telling yourself that and you'll begin to believe it.”  Dan lectured with a sarcastic grin.


“Well, I am off to band…unless you guys want to have another philosophy discussion here in the hall?”


“No thanks, I got Biology to go to.”  Dave declined.


“Yeah, me too.”  Dan excused himself.


During the day, Mike was debating if he should go to Mr. Cagney’s house or not.  Scenarios ran through his head, becoming obsessive at times.  Who was this Mr. Cagney anyway?  Was he working for The S.H.I.N.E. Organization, or something very different?  One thing was for certain, he had never been this paranoid about his abilities in a long time.  He sat down for lunch and began to eat his peanut butter & blackberry jam sandwich.  What else was he to do?


“May I join you?” Mike looked up and smiled warmly.


“Sure Nicole.”  He motioned for her to sit down.  “So, how are classes going?”


“Going good, just not sure how I am going to make it through this school year.”


“What do you mean?”  He asked her in confusion.


Well, some friends of mine moved a week ago.”


Anyone, I know?” Mike leaned forward.


"Not really, but thankfully I have my Uncle.”  She said quickly, looking down at her hands.


“What's your uncle’s name, if you don't mind me asking?”


“Jacob Cagney.”  She answered plainly.


“Jacob Cagney?”  He choked on his soda, “I got a letter in my locker to come see him today after school."


Good, then you can walk me home.”  She got up and walked away.


“But what does he want with me?”  He hollered after her.


“Whoa Mikey!  That is no way to get a girl.”  Dan walked up to him.


“What's up?”  Mike asked, ignoring Dan’s jibe.


“Well, in chemistry something weird happened.  Dave touched the chemical beakers and they froze right in his hand!”


“You’re putting me on!”  Mike pretended to play stupid.


“No seriously, and something happened to me as well.”


“What's that?  The ground tried to swallow you up?”


“Actually yeah, I was stuck in the concrete for two minutes.  I was nearly late for class!”


“Look Dan, I'm sure your foot just got stuck in some tar or gum.”  He patted Dan on the shoulder.  “And speaking of almost being late to class, we best get moving.”


When school was over Nicole caught up with Mike at his locker.  He borrowed her cell phone and left his dad a message saying he was studying for a test at a friend’s house.  While they walked towards Nicole’s house, he questioned her on why her uncle wanted to see him.  All she would say was that her uncle would explain it all when they arrived.  


As they approached the house, he saw how big it was and that it had to be over a hundred years old.


“I know what you’re thinking, but it was built not even two decades ago.  My Uncle has always loved Victorian Houses.”  Nicole explained in response to Mike’s look of amazement.


“Did he build it himself?”


“Yes, but we'll get to that later,” she opened the door and motioned for him to enter first.  He acknowledged with a nod and stepped over the threshold.  As soon as they were inside, Nicole closed the door behind them.  Mike looked around and admired all the décor filling available space.  Suits of armor, paintings, and... the biggest library he had ever seen.  

“I take it you like the library?”  Nicole asked him, noticing the expression upon his face.


“Yeah, it would take a person probably a century to read all these books!”  Mike said as he couldn’t take his eyes off all books surrounding him.


“Actually, one could do it ten years if that's all he did.”  A man with a Boston accent walked up beside them.  “Nicole welcome home my dear,” he kissed her on the cheek.    “And this must be Michael Black.”  Turning to shake Mike’s hand.


“Mike, if you please Mr. Cagney.”  He returned the hand shake firmly.


“Then you may call me Jacob.”


“Well then Jacob, why did you have Nicole put a note in my locker?”  He asked him.


“Have you ever heard of the Legend of The Dark-Rider?”  Jacob asked honestly, getting straight to the point.


“Should I have?”


“It's an Irish legend, a man appointed by God to defend those who need it.  Given immortality and other abilities beyond that of a normal man.  You are of Irish descent, are you not?”


“Yeah, what's that got to do with me?”


“The Legend of The Dark-Rider is true, for I’m the current Dark-Rider and you are to be the next.”


“How do I know that you are not working with The S.H.I.N.E. Organization?”  Mike asked cautiously.


“Because I have special abilities just like you.”  Nicole approached softly.


“You mean you’re like me, super strength and all that?”


No, I have the ability to create force fields around me or used at a distance.”


“However, you are not ready to take on the full responsibilities of the task,” Jacob continued.  “Which is why we must begin your training.”  He started to turn towards the rear section of the library.


“Wait, what do you mean training?  I've been using these abilities since last year!”


“Because you know how to use them recreationally, doesn't mean you know how to use them in combat.”  Jacob countered.  His memory is starting to return.  Jacob thought to himself.


“Maybe so, but who would I be fighting anyways?”  Mike asked out of frustration.


“The Cyber-Defenders and their creators, The S.H.I.N.E. Organization,” Nicole answered.


“Follow us,” Jacob led him to one of the bookshelves at the back of the library and pushed one of the books in. The bookshelf disappeared, and a metallic door stood before them.  

“By entering this door, you shall leave one adventure in life, and begin another.”  The door opened, and Nicole stepped in, followed by Jacob.  They looked at Mike, who hesitated.   He finally stepped into the elevator, knowing that his life would never be the same ever again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 12

 

 

 

The elevator took them deeper below the foundation of the house.  The door opened when they reached the bottom floor and they stepped out into in a large underground facility.  


“Welcome to The Big House Headquarters,” Nicole announced, as Mike walked around astonished by all he was seeing.  “It has everything that we will need: vehicles, a medical center, science laboratories, and a training facility that we call The Holo-Dome.”


“The Holo-Dome?”  Mike asked out of curiosity.


“It's a holographic simulation chamber to hone your combat skills, as well as survival techniques,” Nicole answered in layman terms.


“How could you afford all of this?”


“Well, there is a number of factors to be brought in.  First, there is the money that is in the vault in Castle Dark-Rider which was stolen during the times of the Revolutionary War...”  Jacob started.


“What do you mean stolen?”  Mike interrupted.


“One of the Dark-Riders was a pirate and stole from Britain out of revenge towards King George.  But towards the end of his life he built Castle Dark-Rider and put the rest of the money in a vault for future Dark-Riders to use during their time here on earth.”  Jacob began to summarize and then noticed a look of confusion on Mike’s face.  “Maybe I should give you a brief history of the Dark-Rider.  The first Dark-Rider lived in Ireland, Dublin to be precise.  His mission was to prevent a group of druids from bringing the demon known as Xorrnak into the physical realm during the Confederate Wars.  The Dark-Rider, like all the others, is given a black tunic and mask to represent the evil they must destroy, along with The Sword of Power and The Shield of Defense.  If he had a horse it was to be called Shadow, for when it was running it would not make sound and would not leave any hoof prints.”


“How many Dark-Riders have there been?”  Mike wondered.


“Not including yourself, six.  But you are the last of the Dark-Riders.”


“So, in other words until Christ comes back.”


“Exactly.  According to the scriptures only God the Father knows the time and day.”


“As interesting as this is,” Nicole interrupted wanting to end the history lesson and get back to the task at hand, “I think we should fit him into a Bio-Suit.”


“What's a Bio-Suit?”  Mike asked, scratching his head.


“A suit made of synthetic material that will protect you from most impacts and adapts to your abilities,” Jacob answered. “And to protect your identity from those who are hunting the Abnormals."


“That's what doesn't make sense.  Why they are hunting people like Nicole and I?”  Mike wondered.


“I know Dr. Johnson personally.  She and I were students together in college.”  Jacob said, looking away.  “But as I was saying, this Bio-Suit will be a good way to move around freely without the worry of detection.”


Mike began to think deeply; does he truly want to be a superhero as he had always dreamed about?  Or should he look the other way as he had been taught growing up?  After a few moments of deep meditation, Mike spoke up.  “So where is this Bio-Suit you have for me?”


“Step onto that platform over there,” Jacob pointed behind Mike, “and we'll begin the Symbiotic sequence.”  Jacob placed himself behind the control panel and pressed a few buttons.  There was a glow around Mike followed by a flash of light.  Mike blinked to clear his eyes, stepped off the platform and looked down to find his clothes had been replaced by a green suit and mask, trimmed in black.


Hey, I thought this was supposed to be all black not green?”  Mike asked in surprise.


“As I have mentioned you’re not the Dark-Rider yet.  It will be another year, or maybe two years, before you receive the rest of your abilities.  Therefore, until then we will call you…  Maybe you should choose a name.”


“Green is one of my favorite colors, so I will call myself The Green Defender.”


“Nice name choice.  Now a few things about the Bio-Suit, the item on your wrist is called a Changer.  It’s what activates and deactivates the Bio-Suit.  Inside of the Changer is two energy cells that power the Bio-Suit.  They can also be used as a defensive tool; smash them and they will temporary blind an enemy.  When the Bio-Suit is deactivated the Changer looks like a watch.  In addition, when the Bio-Suit is deactivated you can use your abilities without the S.H.I.N.E. scanners pinpointing your location.  When it is activated, you have stun blasters on top of your gloves.  Now I would like you to go into The Holo-Dome, and we will begin a series of tests to see what your limitations are with your abilities.”  


Green Defender entered the giant dome and the doors closed behind him.  Once inside, Jacob ran him through a series of simulations.  When they were finished, Green Defender joined the others at the main computer.  


“I.Q. bring up the results of Green Defender’s test,” Jacob ordered.


“Working.”  The computer responded.  The data flashed upon the screen and Jacob read them aloud.  


“For your strength, you can max press a ton.  For your speed, you can run up to 150 mph.  In addition, your flight speed 250 mph.  Nevertheless, the more you use your abilities the more they progress.”  Jacob looked at his pocket watch, “well, I do believe I should let you go home for now.”


“What time is it?”  Green Defender asked.


7:00pm...”  Nicole began to say.


“Oh man, my folks are going to flip!”


“Nicole will drop you off, and she can explain to them I needed your assistance right after school.”


“Okay but first, how do I turn this thing off?”  He asked Jacob.


“End program.”


“End program,” he repeated.  There was a quick flash and he returned to being Mike Black.


“Nicole, drive the van.  I don't trust you just yet with my Camaro.”  He tossed her the keys.


“Sure thing, Uncle.”  


A few minutes later, they were in front of Mike’s house.


Well, this is going be fun,” Mike said sarcastically.


“What do you mean?”  Nicole asked with a curious look.


“Well one, I'm late for dinner and two, my parents are going to make a big deal out of the fact that a girl brought me home.”


“You're right, this is going to be fun!”  She said with a big smile.  They went inside and found Mike’s family eating dinner.  

“Michael where have you been?”  Frank asked with annoyance in his voice, “You’re later then what your voicemail said.”


“I got a job,” Mike said proudly.


“Oh really, and who is this lovely young lady beside you?”  Patty asked.


“I'm Nicole, I work with Mike and we both work for my uncle as history archivists.  You see my uncle is a historian and he needed some extra help, so he hired Mike.”


“As long as it pays well...”  Frank’s voice trailed off.


“$200.00 a week.”  Mike piped up.


“That definitely sounds like a good paying job to me.”  Patty agreed.  “Would you like to stay for dinner?”  She asked.


“No thank you, I gotta go and do my homework.  I'll see you tomorrow Mikey.”


As soon as she drove off, Patty asked, “So Michael, where did you meet that lovely girl?”  


Mike groaned as the fun began.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 13

 

 

 

The next morning, Mike met up with Nicole at her locker.  “Thanks for the help last night.”


“No problem.”  She smiled sweetly as she closed her locker door, “I figured you could use the practice.”


“What practice?” 


“Think about it, when your parents start wondering why you’re coming in so late...”


“No, not that.”  Mike interrupted.  “For helping me explain to my parents how come I have never mentioned you.”


“Oh.  Again, you’re welcome.”  She started to walk away, and he followed “Now my uncle has given me a couple of names…”


“Dan Clay and David Frost,” Mike said plainly.


“How did you know?”


“Dan told me what happened, first Dave freezing a chemical beaker, and him getting stuck in the ground.”


“Oh, I see.  Our best bet is to keep an eye on them.”  Sounds like their abilities are starting to come back sooner than expected as well, Nicole thought to herself.  She grabbed a notebook from her locker and they began to walk towards their class in silence.  A few minutes later Nicole grinned.


“So, did your parents ask if we were dating?”  She joked.


“Let's just say, it took me two hours to convince them that we weren't.”


“I'll stick around next time,” she offered with a wicked grin.


“I don't think so.  You’ll just make matters worse!”  Mike shook his head at the thought.


“I would not!” She exclaimed putting her hands on her hips.


Across the hall, Dave and Dan were talking to one another and pointing at Mike and Nicole.  


“That's five bucks you owe me,” Dan commented, slid his hand forward.


“I know, I know.”  Dave agreed as he pulled out a five-dollar bill.


“Well, should we ask how their first date was?”  Dan wondered.


 “You can ask him, I’ve got to cram for our chemistry test.”  Dave decline, hefting his textbooks and binder full of notes.  He paused on his way to the classroom door and glanced around before speaking quietly.  


“Dan, you haven't been sticking to concrete, have you?”  


“No, are you having problems icing anything?”


“Not really.  But I'm just hoping that it never acts up again.”


“Why?”  Dan asked, an eyebrow quirked up in puzzlement.


“Because I'm worried that you and I could be who those S.H.I.N.E. people could be looking for.”  Dan smiled and patted his friend’s shoulder assuredly. 


“God will make sure nothing happens to us.”


***


Meanwhile, at S.H.I.N.E. Headquarters, Dr. Kendra Johnson was in the laboratory doing some last-minute maintenance work on the Cyber-Defenders when the main doors slid open.  The Assistant Director of S.H.I.N.E. walked in as the doors gently slid closed behind him.


“Dr. Johnson are your Cyber-Defenders ready for their first retrieval mission?”


“Of course, sir.”


“Excellent, they're to be transported by air to a small town called Silverton in Oregon.  We want you to retrieve the Alpha Force, and the two unknowns who got away from us last time.”


“Sir, if I may, I would like to accompany them to make sure that they work properly?”  She suggested hesitantly.


“Of course, you’re the only one around here that knows how they work.”  He handed Dr. Johnson two folders, “these are the two subjects that are to be retrieved.”


Dr. Johnson looked through the folders briefly.  “Do we believe that they could be connected to The Dark-Rider?”


“They may very well lead you to the Dark-Rider of now, or the soon to be Dark-Rider.  You depart within the hour.”


***

The school was out for the day and Mike met Nicole at her Suburban.  “So, what's the plan for the day?”  He asked her.


“Recon work.  We are to follow Dave and Dan to the library and work on our homework,” she told him.  Mike groaned and rolled his eyes.


“You know, those guys are going to think that we're on a study date.”


“That's the whole point of our recon mission…to make them think we are on a study date,” Nicole added.


“I'm not sure what's worse…my parents thinking we're dating or my friends?”


“When you figure it out let me know.”  She smiled sweetly and kissed him on the cheek right in front of Dave and Dan.


“Hey Mike, I see you took our advice!”  Dave hollered from across the parking lot.


“Yeah, actually we're going on a study date at the library!”  Mike hollered back.


“Great!  We'll see you there!”  Dan said with excitement.


“You didn't need to tell them we're going to the library.”  Nicole scolded.


“You embarrass me, I embarrass you.  Besides, it's not like I endangered our recon mission.”


“I know someone who's about to become endangered,” she muttered as she got into the SUV.  Mike laughed as he buckled himself in.


To pass the time, Nicole asked Mike when he first found out about his abilities, she did this to see how much damage was done by the Memory Jar.  “It was a year ago, at first I thought it was a fluke until I went for a walk.  I began to jog and went to a full speed run and the next thing I know I was on the other side of Eugene.  Then I got light headed…or so I thought.  I had begun to fly and before I knew it, I was at my house.  Then last year I got into a fight with a group of jocks who were planning on beating me up for turning them in.  They were hazing and wanting to rape a girl I was walking home.  That was their biggest mistake!  With the help of my abilities, I took down all eight of them within seconds.  Unfortunately, there was a guy who witnessed the whole thing.   But it was so weird…he was called in to testify, but he couldn't be found during the trial.  Even though my friend was the victim and she told the court that I defended her, I did not have a bruise on me.  They considered me the assailant and the D.A. offered me a plea bargain. If I plead guilty, I would be given a second chance, but my family and I had to move to another county.  The charge would not go on my permanent record if I accepted.  So, we moved here to Silverton.” 


Doesn’t match what he had told us that night in the Battle Van on the way to rescue the others’ parents.  Nicole thought to herself.  Hopefully, one day I will have the chance to restore all their memories.  


Just as Mike finished up, he noticed that Dan and Dave were getting ready to leave.


When both Dave and Dan were done they packed up and headed out, and Mike and Nicole followed them, giving them a thirty-second head start.  Dave and Dan took off in Dan's car and the duo followed them.  “So, you think those Cyber-Defenders will come after those guys tonight?”  Nicole asked.


“It's a possibility.  If the S.H.I.N.E. organizations scanners are as sensitive as Jacob believes, then yeah there is a good possibility.  That means we need to be ready for anything.”  Just as he said that a giant metallic figure came out of nowhere and shoulder-blocked the car to the other side of the road!  “That's Rocko!  We better change.”


“Bio-Suits activate!”  Nicole commanded the password, and within seconds, they were Shieldra, whose bio-suit color was silver and black trim and The Green Defender, plus the Suburban had turned into the Battle Van.  “We've encountered two Cyber-Defenders, we are engaging the enemy.”  She spoke into the van’s communicator.


“Take them out as soon as you can and bring the two boys here,” Jacob instructed.


“Roger.”  She confirmed then turned to Green Defender, but he was already gone.  “He doesn't wait for anyone.”


Rocko approached the vehicle, grabbed hold of the door and pulled it out with ease.  “Come to papa and son.”  He told the two boys as he grabbed them out of the car in each hand.  Hey, Pop I got them.”


“Good work son now let's take them back to headquarters.”  However, just as they turned around, two costumed people confronted them.


“Release them!”  Green Defender demanded.


“Sure thing, after we kill you!”  Gunner replied, as he pointed his mechanical fingers and fired bullets out of them.  Nevertheless, before they could hit their targets Shieldra put a force field, which the bullets bounced off!


“Sorry, death isn't on my schedule for the day.”  She snickered.


“I don't believe it!  My bullets never miss!  Rocko get them!”


“But I got my hands full with these two,” Rocko explained.


“Then let them go!”


Okay, dad.”  Rocko dropped them to the ground and charged the two costumed heroes.


“Now's my chance.”  Green Defender told himself.  Using his super-human speed, he darted towards Dave and Dan, and in the process clotheslined Gunner knocking him down, grabbed the two boys and came back to where Shieldra was, just in time to block Rocko’s charge with a laser blast, that knocked him back several feet.  Then he and Shieldra rushed over back to the Battle Van with their friends and retreated to the Big House.


“The boss ain't gonna like this.”  Gunner shook his head.


“I hope she doesn't get too mad,” Rocko whined.  “I hate to think what she could do.”


The duo got back to headquarters with Jacob waiting for them.  “Good work you two, how are the boys?”


“A little shaken up.”  Green Defender responded.


“Brr.  I think Dave needs a sweater.”  Shieldra shivered.


“No wonder, his arms have turned into solid ice!”  Jacob observed.


“Let's sit them down for now.”  Green Defender suggested.


A couple of minutes later the two woke up, “What happened?  Where did those two robots go?”  Dan asked.


“We took care of them and saved you.”  Shieldra put it bluntly.



“Who are you?”  Dave asked.


“She's Shieldra, and I'm The Green Defender, but you know us as someone else.  End program.”  A couple of seconds later they were back to normal.  “Nicole Cagney and Mike Black.”


“I should've figured that out.”  Dan snapped his fingers.


“I guess we should thank you.”  Dave shrugged.


“It's what we're here to do,” Nicole said in a chipper mood.


“So, I guess we're called to do the same?”  Dan asked.


“Both of you boys are like Mike and Nicole born with special abilities,” Jacob answered them, he then told them of the Legend of The Dark-Rider.  “Michael is to be the next Dark-Rider and you are to aide him.  The question is do you wish to do so?”


“Yes,” Dan answered.


“Sure thing.”  Dave agreed.


“Good meet here after school tomorrow and we'll begin testing your abilities.  Nicole will give you both a ride home.”


“Wait, my car?”  Dan wondered.


“I have a friend in the towing business; it'll be here tomorrow when you get here.”


“Sounds good.”


“Until then, wear these.”  Jacob handed them Changers, “These will protect you from the Cyber-Defenders scanners.”  They hopped into the Suburban and left for home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 14

 

 

 

The next day after school, Mike, Dan, and Dave went along with Nicole to The Big House.  Dan and Dave were fitted with Bio-Suits; Dan’s colors were white with gray trim and Dave’s was blue with white trim and were then each put into the Holo-Dome.  During Dan's tests, it showed that he could form his body into any soil, rock, and minerals and seemed to “mold” into them.  


Next, during Dave's tests, it showed he could turn his body into solid ice and could freeze objects by concentrating his ice beams on them.  After an explanation of their test results, it was time for them to choose their code names.  Dan chose the name Molder and David chose the name Frezor.  


They all then went inside the garage, and found that Molders' car had been completely fixed, and looked as if had not been in a wreck.  “Okay, I know that the car wasn't in the best of shape in the first place, but it looked worse than that last night.  What happened?”


“Inventing is one of my hobbies,” Jacob admitted.  “This is the Motor Vehicle Re-generator.  It basically repairs the vehicle into its natural state.”


“This would definitely put auto wreckers out of business,Frezor observed.


“That is why it stays here.  For us to repair our vehicles, this way if they get damaged they can be repaired without wasting money on new vehicles.”  Shieldra explained.


“So, what's next on our agenda?”  Asked Green Defender.


"Follow me to I.Q.”  Jacob motioned them to follow him to the main computer.  Once there, he typed in a few keys, and three pictures of their friends, Clara Embers, Ally Smarts, and John Shocken appeared on the screen.  “I.Q. picked up their abilities today while you were at school.”


“I was wondering why Clara was acting weird today.”  Frezor brought up.


“What do you mean?”  Wondered Shieldra.


“Well, in chemistry she said that she was afraid that the Bunsen burner was going to explode on her.  When I asked what she meant by that, she said that she was just talking to herself.”


“Then we best get to them before those Cyber-Rejects do.”  Molder decided.


“Don't worry I have cameras facing their houses, if anything metallic comes towards that place outside of a vehicle, then the Alpha Alert will go off,” Jacob responded.


“Alpha Alert?”  Green Defender asked.


“Yes, it's our alarm system that goes off when a first response is needed,” Jacob answered.


“Then I guess until then we best just keep our ears and eyes open,” Shieldra suggested.


“Right it's best to take them home.  I'll call you if I need you.”  Jacob ended the meeting.


Just a few miles away, in an abandoned warehouse, secretly owned by the S.H.I.N.E. organization, the Cyber-Defenders had just finished their repairs and met with Dr. Johnson and The Assistant Director.  “Your machines fouled up Johnson!  It was a simple a retrieval mission and they blew it!  What do you have to say in their defense?”  The Assistant Director asked impatiently.


“If you would watch the screen here you will see how they fouled up.”  Johnson had typed in a few keys and it showed from a hidden recorder in the cyborgs' optics.  It showed Green Defender and Shieldra in front of them and within seconds, Rocko and Gunner were taken out.  She then had it rewind to the two heroes and paused it.  “Everything was going smoothly until those two showed up.”


“Who are they?”  Asked the Assistant Director.


“Two unknown Abnormals that are not in our files, most likely the ones whom the Alpha Force had brought in last time.  Whoever they are, they're going to be a menace and have no doubt added the two subjects to their fold.”


“Then they need to be dealt with.  But first I have the next three candidates to be retrieved.”


“The remaining members of the Alpha Force?”  Johnson said as she filed through the files.


“Of course, I would believe that these two could handle at least one of these...”


“What about the other two?”


“I have a couple of new people to retrieve the other two.”


“And they would be?”  Questioned Johnson.


“Ying-Yang, and her brother Chopper.”


“The two ninja assassins?”


“They'll take care of the two girls; your two machines are to bring the boy in.”  The Assistant Director ordered.


“Very well.  Gunner, Rocko, you two have a chance to redeem yourselves.”


The next morning while at school, the teens noticed that none of their three friends was at school. Luckily, it was half-day at school, so they paired up to check their friends' houses once they were out of class.  Nicole and Mike went to Clara's house and Dan along with Dave went to Ally’s.  When they got to each of the houses, they noticed that the police were there. Feeling that they should not go any closer they reported to Jacob what they found at each house, and then he had them go and check Johns' house.  The four of them met in front of John’s house and noticed that no one was home.  They knocked on the door and it opened eerily.  “Okay, I'm freaked out.”  Nicole blurted out.  Inside the place had been trashed and looked as if the house had been robbed.


“Dan, Dave, check the garage.  Nicole and I will check the house.”  Mike told them.


“It looks like they already got to John,” Nicole observed.


“That remains to be seen,” Mike said cautiously.


“Mike, Nicole in here!”  Dave hollered throughout the house.  When they responded they saw that the two of them had found John and was encased in ice.  “I accidentally froze him.”


“We thought he was a Cyber-Defender,” Dan admitted.


“Well as you can tell I'm not.”  John scorned.  He was slightly taller than the other boys were and had black hair.


Hey, how are you melting the ice?”  Dave asked.


“Simple I have the ability to charge up my body like a battery and let loose the juice.”


“In other words, you can manipulate electricity.”  Nicole put it in layman terms.

“Not only that but I can move fast, and I can invent anything that I can think of.  For instance, I created this invisibility belt.”  He pointed at it, “I used it when those Cyber-Defenders came in looking for me.”


Well, we know somewhere that you can stay for a while.”  Nicole offered.


“But first I have something to do.”  He took off for two seconds and was back.


“What did you just do?”  Dan wondered.


Oh, I cleaned my house. See?”  They looked and saw that the rooms were spotless.


“Okay from now on you’re cleaning my room,” Dan told him.


Minutes later, they were at The Big House where John who now would go by Sparks was fitted with a Bio-Suit whose colors were yellow with brown trim.


“Now we have two inventors in the group.”  Nicole brought up.


“So, what do you guys call yourselves?”  Sparks asked.


Well, we never did come up with a name,” Dave admitted.


“Well the alarm which we use is called the Alpha Alert, and we are a force to reckon with, so how about The Alpha Force?”  Shieldra offered on the table.


“Sounds good to me.”  Green Defender agreed, and the others nodded.


“Then it's decided.  You are now The Alpha Force.  Now that is out of the way, we need to find where are two missing friends are.”  Jacob said with no delay.


“What I want to know is how in the world did those two metal heads could have kidnapped Clara and Ally without the alarm going off?”  Dave questioned.


“Elementary they didn't,” Jacob answered and pointed their attention to the monitor. “They did.”  The computer focused on the two individuals entering each house and then taking the girls out of their home.”


“Who are they?”  Mike asked.


“It would appear to be the assassins known as Yin-Yang, and her brother Chopper.”


“Then we best find them and get them to safety before it's too late.”  Mike activated his Changer, “Bio-Suits Activate!”


Chapter 15

 

 

 "What's our plan of attack?"  Sparks asked.


"We need to find out where they are first."  Jacob answered, "I was unable to trace the two ninjas.  However, I was able to trace the Cyber-Defenders to their hideout."


"Sounds a little too convenient if you ask me."  Green Defender huffed.


"Even if they are planning a trap, we still need to rescue Ally and Clara.  Where did you trace them to?"  Shieldra asks her uncle.


"At an abandoned warehouse between here and Salem.  I'll upload the directions into the Battle Van's computer.”


"And we'll get going.  Let's move out group."  Green Defender waved them to The Battle Van.


At the S.H.I.N.E. warehouse, Ally and Clara were waking up, "Where are we?"  Clara asked weakly.  She was five feet tall and had red hair.


"Not in our homes that are for sure."  Ally observed she was a couple of inches taller than Clara was and had black hair.  They were encased in clear plastic tubes and noticed there were five others that were empty.  "But something tells me that we won't be alone for long."


"You’re quite right young one.”  The Assistant Director agreed.


"For soon you'll have others like yourselves, all put away like the creatures you are."  Dr. Johnson added.


"You know you'll get charged for kidnapping!"  Clara fumed.


"Not really since we work with the government, what we do is not illegal."  The Assistant said proudly.


"But what about our families?"  Ally questioned.


"Don't worry; we'll make sure to send them an empty casket for your funeral."  Johnson joked darkly.


"You’re sick you know that lady?"  Clara exclaimed in disgust.


"Why thank you."  She bowed.  The next second the alarm went off, "Aw, our guests have arrived."  She and the others turned to the screen on the giant computer before them. They could see the Alpha Force coming out of their vehicle.


"You want us to welcome them, boss?"  Rocko asked pounding his fist in the other metallic hand's palm.


"No, I have a special surprise for them, one they won't be expecting," Johnson answered.  Outside of the complex, the Alpha Force was approaching with caution.  They eased up to the doorway quietly and opened it up a crack.  From there they could see the two girls in giant tubes.  Green Defender motioned everyone to go in one at a time.  Once they were all in, they cautiously moved toward the two captives.


"I got a strange feeling about all this," Shieldra stated.


"Don’t you mean a bad feeling?"  Green Defender questioned.


"I'm not the Sci-Fi geek like you are."  She countered.


"Let's save the girls and save the arguments for later?"  Molder asked in a hushed tone.  Just then, the two prisoners and the tubes disappeared, "It's a trap!"  However, the warning came too late for then they were victim to an Electrical Destabilization Field.  They groaned in pain as they slowly fell to their knees.


"E.D.F.!"  Shieldra shouted in pain, "It's our Bio-Suits' weakness."  Within seconds, the Bio-Suits deactivated, and they fell to the floor unconscious.


Back at the Big House, Jacob was waiting for the team to return.  When suddenly, the Alpha Alarm went off, He pressed a few buttons on the keyboard.  When he saw the message on the screen, he fell into his chair.  It read:  "Bio-Suits compromised."


"So, it's time for me to come face to face with my nemesis."  Jacob rose out of his chair, walked towards an old army locker and pulled out a black suit; "This Dark-Rider still has enough in him for one last fight."

 

 

 

 

Chapter 16

 

 

 

When the teens finally came too, they noticed that were now inside of the gigantic tubes that they had seen the two girls in.  "Well, this wasn’t on my daily planner.”  John declared.


"Welcome to the party."  Clara greeted dryly.


"I didn't expect it was you guys in those costumes."  Ally commented.


"That's the whole idea," Nicole added.


"Let's skip the pleasantries for now and get out of here," Mike told them, he drew back his fist and with all his might pounded it into the glass...But nothing happened.  "Hey, what gives?"


"I'll try to freeze it," Dave announced but was unable to make anything happen.


"I tried too, but couldn't make flames," Clara admitted.


"None of your powers will work."  Dr. Johnson came up to them.  "The inhibitor above you is what causes you to be normal human beings."


"Define normal."  Mike countered.


Johnson ignored him, "To make sure you can't reach them they are five feet above you, and the width of the glass is seven feet in diameter to keep you from climbing up."


"Isn't that convenient?”  John gave sarcastic remark.


"So, what happens now?"  Mike asked.


"Well if you really want to know, we're going to use you as test subjects for experiments to find a way to destroy your species."  The Assistant answered.


"Species?  We're human beings created in God’s image."  Ally defended.


"Yeah, plus it’s illegal to experiment on human beings," Clara added.


"But you are not human, you’re beyond human in fact!  You’re the next step in our evolution.  Therefore, if the tests prove useful we can help humanity reach that next step."  Johnson explained.


“And like Ally said we're all created...”  Dan started to say.


"God does not exist in the realm of science and human potential."  Dr. Johnson stated.


"God is the reason for why we have our abilities."  Dan continued.


"Believe in whatever your mind can come up with.  For soon everyone will be able to do some of the things you do."  Dr. Johnson waved them off and turned but was stunned by Mike’s conclusion.


"You’re not doing this for humanity.  You are planning on building an army of super humans."


"Now where did you come up with that assumption?"  Dr. Johnson asked.


"Maybe because I’m a Sci-Fi geek," Mike said amusingly proud.  "But for the fact that you contradicted yourself.  First, you want to experiment on us, and then kill us.  Then give our abilities to people for your so-called next step.  That was your first mistake. Secondly, is that I am a Sci-Fi geek who has figured out that you are really a part of an organization, undermining the government by using its usefulness to undergo your evil schemes.  Please try to prove me wrong."


Dr. Johnson chuckled, "I guess we got caught red handed sir."  She turned to the Assistant.


"It would seem so."  The Assistant nodded, "Where did you come up with that brilliant theory?"


"Out of a cracker jack box."  Mike taunted.


"You know, for a teenage boy you should respect your elders."  Johnson lectured.  She then turned to the phone that was ringing and answered it, "Yes... Good, be ready in the next ten minutes."  She hung up, "The jet is here for our cargo to be shipped to its final destination."


"Good, Yin Yang, and Chopper would you help the cyborgs to transport…”  The Assistant turned to where the siblings were last standing, "Blasted ninjas where are they?"


"If you’re looking for the two assassins they're a bit tied up."  Said a dark voice, as all of them turned to see a man dressed in black.  "I suggest unless you want to be in the same predicament I would release your captives."


"Come now Jacob, we all know that it is you under that mask."  Dr. Johnson revealed.


"It's good to see you too Kendra."  Dark-Rider nodded.


"In case you must know I go by The Cyber-Queen now."


"And I am called Paralyzer."  The Assistant proclaimed.  He then took off his coat and gloves to reveal that his hands and arms were cybernetic.  "Would you like to see why?"  And before Dark-Rider could respond, laser blasts came out of the palms of Paralyzers' cybernetic hands and shot down his target.


"Uncle!"  Nicole shouted and began to cry.  Mike could not help but notice her crying.  Not just because her Uncle was down, but that she was powerless to do anything.  He knew the feeling, he wanted to do something too, but thanks to the inhibitors he could not, none of them could.  All they could do was pray that God would intervene somehow.


Paralyzer approached The Dark-Rider slowly.  "My paralyzing rays render my victims helpless.  And this is the one we are to fear?  Won't the S.H.I.N.E. be pleased to hear that I have killed the last of The Dark-Riders?”  He laughed evilly.


"I am not the last Dark-Rider."  Dark-Rider stated as he struggled to get up, "I am the next to last."  He pulled out the sword out of its sheath and threw it towards Mike, and when it hit the glass, it shattered into pieces.  Mike took hold of the sword and his eyes glowed green, and his muscles bulked up... He had regained his abilities!  Before anyone else could react to what was happening, using his super-human speed he sliced the other tubes open.  Once they were all out of their cells, their abilities were back, "Alpha Force activate Bio-Suits!"  Within seconds, they were ready for action.


"Paralyzers mine."  Shieldra declared.


"Okay,” Green Defender nodded, "Molder, Frezor you and Clara and take out Rocko and Gunner.  Sparks, you take Ally and download as much data as you can out of that computer over there."  They all nodded and went to work.  Shieldra got in front of her uncle to protect him.


"Hey, Paralyzer, why don't you pick on someone who can take a hit!"


"Very well my dear, but I must warn you I don't go easier on the weaker sex."  Paralyzer taunted.


"Bring it on!"


"As you wish."  He said as he blasted his rays at her, and just what they were about to hit her, she rose up a shield and formed it around her whole body, and when it hit they did not penetrate.  She started to walk up to him, and the closer she got, the hotter his cybernetic hands got, "This isn't possible."  He said in shock. She then grabbed his hands and wrenched down, and he hollered in pain, which did not last long for she knocked him out with one punch.


"All things are possible in Christ."  She told him.


Rocko and Gunner approached the three super-powered teens.  "You three will die before you can think about leaving."  Rocko threatened.


"Is that so?"  Molder asked sheepishly.  For while they made their threats, he changed his feet into the same grade of concrete as the floor and then started to make the cement around the Cyber-Defenders feet to rise around them.  "It looks to me, you’re the one’s who’s not going anywhere."


"What the...?"  Gunner exclaimed as he tried to move but noticed he and his son had concrete shoes and that the concrete coming up to their necks.


"Hmm, let's put these jail birds in cages shall we," Frezor suggested and made an ice cage around Gunner.


"I got the idea."  Clara agreed and formed a cage of fire around Rocko.


"I hate the fire!"  Rocko tried to blow it out.


"You know this is pretty ironic," Frezor said plainly.


"How so?"  Asked Molder.


"Because we had the element of surprise."  Clara finished the pun.


Ally and Sparks had been able to hack into the mainframe and downloaded all its information onto a disk.  "Download completed."  Sparks announced, "Now to upload the virus."  He slid a thumb drive in the slot and uploaded the virus into it.  Ally poked him on the shoulder and pointed to the other direction where she saw Yin Yang and Chopper stalking towards them.  He nodded and kept working.


"They're coming closer."  Ally warned.


"Don't worry," Sparks assured her.  The two ninjas took a couple of more steps toward the two, and before they could jump into action, a couple of lightning bolts shot them down. "Slowpokes."  Sparks sighed and continued working.


Green Defender confronted Dr. Johnson with a sword in hand, "Going somewhere?"


"Actually yes. I was going to attempt my escape."


"Not today."  Green Defender shook his head.  Off in a distance, they could hear sirens approaching, "You’re going to jail."


"We'll see."  Moments later the Oregon State Police and SWAT teams were on scene and had no idea what to think of the situation that was before them.  "Officers thank goodness your here, I am Dr. Johnson of The S.H.I.N.E. organization."  She showed her government I.D. "You are just in time to arrest these terrorists."  She pointed at the Alpha Force.


"Terrorists?"  Clara complained, "She and those two ninjas kidnapped us, and they saved us."


"Is that so?"  A voice came from the crowd.  "I'm Director Spence, I oversee the S.H.I.N.E. organization we don't kidnap, we apprehend those with abilities that no human should have."


"Well in our state it's called kidnapping."  The SWAT Captain countered.


"This is a case of Global Security of which the S.H.I.N.E organization has jurisdiction over.  Moreover, we do not hire assassins.  It's obvious that these costumed freaks were the ones that hired them to help them with attacking this facility to free their fellow freaks."  He waved in some men with stun rifles, "Take the two girls and their friends as well."


"What do we do?"  Frezor asked with his hands up.


"Cover your eyes!"  Shieldra warned.


"What?"  Molder questioned.


"Just do it."  She insisted, and when the guards were, close enough she threw down an energy cell, and when it hit the ground it exploded, and it blinded anyone within a thirty-foot radius.  Once they were able to see again, the Alpha Force and others were gone.

 

 

Chapter 17

 

 

 

After their escape, The Alpha Force had returned safely to the Big House.  Shieldra and Green Defender helped Jacob into his study.  He pulled off his mask, “Thank you, my friends.”


“Us?  We should be thanking you.”  Molder stepped up.


Yeah, otherwise we’d be on a one-way trip to wherever by now.”  Clara agreed.


“Still, my thanks to your heroics; however, some explanations are in order."


“Such as how did Cyber-Queen know our Bio-Suits’ weakness?”  Frezor asked.


“Yes, I guess it is best to start from the beginning.  In 1940 I was living in Boston with my parents.  My father was a stockbroker, his family hailed from the UK.  My mother stayed at home with us kids, and she was a daughter of an Irish immigrant from the early 1900’s.  WWII had just started, I was seventeen at the time and I was planning on joining the army after graduation.  Nevertheless, my father would not hear of it, for it was bad enough that my two older brothers had gone to war, he was not about to have his next to youngest son join up as well.  Besides, he wanted me to go to Law School as he had planned.  I asked my mother if there was a way for me to do something to change his mind, she told me with my two brothers going to war there was no need for me to do the same.  Later that night as I lay in bed, I prayed to the God above, asking that if there was any way for Him to help me, for I wanted to make a change in the world I lived in, to make it better.  The next thing I know I heard someone calling my name, I followed the voice to the attic.  I went up into the attic and there was a chest glowing from the inside.  I opened it, and there inside was a sword, which was causing the glow, and a shield as well as this black tunic.


"A voice spoke through the sword, “Jacob do not be afraid for I AM, the Lord your God who has heard your prayers, and I shall now answer your prayers by making you the next Dark-Rider, like your grandfather before you.”


Then I asked, “Lord what I must do to honor such a task?”


He replied, “Take the oath of the Dark-Riders:  Protect the innocent, defend the oppressed, and never kill out of vengeance.  For the Sword you now carry is The Sword of Power which you will use to ward off your foes.”  I repeated the oath before the Lord.  


After I had taken the oath, my mother awakened and saw me holding the sword in hand, as she stepped into the room.  She looked up and nodded, for she knew I had been chosen to carry on the Legacy of The Dark-Rider.  I left the next morning to Ireland to learn from under my Grandfather.  I kissed my mother good-bye and shook my father’s hand, they wished me luck and prayed that I would have a safe journey and to wherever God led me.  It would be the last time I saw my parents.  After my training was over, I began my mission to wherever the Spirit of the Lord led me.  Then on the day that was planned to capture Hitler, I left the hotel I was staying in and kissed my fiancé goodbye promising that I would return so that we could finally be together.  Night had fallen; I stalked quietly towards the bunker where Hitler had been seen.  My mission was clear:  Capture the tyrant and bring him to the allies.  I snuck in quietly and peered in the doorway.  There was a young girl tied to the chair, with a bag over her head. I approached quietly when he, came out of the darkness.


“Not a step closer my friend or I kill her,” Hitler warned me.


“Let her go she has nothing to do with this.”  I pleaded.


“On the contrary, she does.”  He pulled the bag off her and it was my fiancé, somehow, he had found out my identity.  Before I could give a response of any kind, he slit her throat.  I wasted no time, thrust my sword into his vile heart!


“A light shone around me, “Jacob, you have broken the Sacred Oath of The Dark-Rider; you have killed out of vengeance.  Therefore, the man before you shall now become immortal, and The Sword of Power shall now be split apart into three, two of them will go to the farthest corners of the earth.  The one that shall stay with you is the Spirit Blade.”


I cried, “Lord forgive me, but he killed her!”


“I forgive you; do not worry for she is now with me.  You are to now take the two swords to locations that I shall reveal to you until the next one is chosen the Dark-Rider you shall be, but he will not be of your bloodline.”


“How did you meet Dr. Johnson?  I highly doubt she called herself Cyber-Queen back then.”  Dave asked next.


“We met in college, forty years after the war.  Being immortal has its advantages for I still looked like I was in my early twenties.  She and I were an item, we were both studying Bioengineering as well as cybernetics.  However, she was learning it for darker reasons, and the Cyber-Defenders is just one of them.”


“How did she find out you were the Dark-Rider?”  Mike questioned.


“By following me, as well as looking through my personal effects.  After graduation, I returned to Castle Dark-Rider where I stayed prior to coming back to America for College.  I was there up until about ten years ago.  I had finished building this house just in time for the holidays, the same day when the S.H.I.N.E. Organization was born.  That’s when the daughter of my sister; Nicole’s mother, brought Nicole to me to protect her when S.H.I.N.E. first formed.  So, I took her in, and we have lived here ever since.”


Mike looked up at the time, “We need to get home; Dan, Dave take Clara and Ally home. John?”


“I’ll be fine.”  He assured them.


“I’ll drive Mike home.”  Nicole offered.


“Come here after church tomorrow, so we can discuss our plans,” Jacob instructed.


Clara and Ally each explained to their parents that people who mistook them for someone else, and was released, with the help of The Alpha Force.  The parents said that all that mattered was that they were safe and home.  The girls said goodnight to the boys, who drove off back to their own homes.  Nicole parked her car in front of the Blacks’ home. Mike had just gotten off the phone with Dan, “Everyone made it back safely.”  He assured her.


“That’s good.”  She said quietly.


“You okay?”


“Yeah, it just that… when Uncle Jacob mentioned that stuff about my family and all… it just brought up some bad memories, that’s all.”


“I’m sorry.”


“It’s okay.  I got over it years ago.”  She wiped away the tears from her eyes.


“Look, I know I can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but after all that’s happened this past week, I’m glad it was you who made the first contact.”


She chuckled, “Do you always have to make Sci-Fi puns?”


“It’s my nature.”  He admitted, “Good night Nicole.”  But before he could reach for the door handle, she grabbed him and kissed him.  When they were done kissing, Mike looked up to the house and saw that his parents were watching.  He got out of the car and said, “You did that on purpose.”


“Maybe, good night.”  She winked and drove off.


Mike saw that his parents were not in front of the door, which was a good thing for he floated up the steps to the door, “Well time for round two.”  He muttered to himself as he walked into the house.

 


Chapter 18

 

 

 

Saturday night the two Directors, Dr. Johnson, and the Cyber-Defenders had returned to S.H.I.N.E. headquarters in Washington D.C.  The Cyber-Defenders was sent to the lab for repairs; as the three sat down to strategize their next attempt to apprehend The Alpha Force.  “So, let me get this straight; you let a bunch of costumed teenagers beat our best that we could come up with?”  The Director asked Dr. Johnson.


“I never did say they were my best… but yes.  Plus, it didn’t help that our friend next to me was the one that brought in those ninja rejects!”  Johnson continued the pointing fingers game.


“They did a lot more than those tin cans of yours!"


“Enough!”  The Director slammed his fists down, “We have no time to be playing childish games.  The Global President has ordered for you to find them and do whatever is necessary to bring them down before the public starts to think of them as heroes.”


“I agree, but what of Jacob Cagney?”  Cyber-Queen asked.


“If possible kill him.  If not, give him no reason to live.  Now I have here a list of potential candidates to become a part of the Cyber-Defenders.”  He tossed the list at her. “I suggest that since there are now seven of them that we too should have the same amount.  Starting with those two ninjas, then I suggest the twins and that girl whose parents so kindly donated to us.”


“Including myself that there makes seven.”  Paralyzer finished.


“True, however just in case they are able to beat all of them; I have a backup plan to ensure our victory,” Cyber-Queen announced.


“Very well, you go get your arms repaired.”  The Director instructed Paralyzer, he then turned to Cyber-Queen, “I want those cyborgs ready before tomorrow night.  Oh, and one more thing; if we do fail, it will be the end of both your careers.”


A few hours later The Cyber-Queen met with The Director in the Laboratory, “They are complete.  Even our good friend the Assistant.”  However, when The Director gazed upon him a look of shock came across his face, for Paralyzer was now completely cyborg his right half of his face was cybernetic.  Cyber-Queen noticed the look of horror on his face but ignored him and said, “Let me introduce you to the rest of the army: Rocko and Gunner you know, as well as the two ninjas, who Chopper here has cybernetic arms with blades instead of fingers.  Of course, we have his sister Yin Yang, whose arms and legs have been replaced with cybernetic ones giving her extra strength and agility, she also can create energy weapons.  Next Nogahead, twin brothers who are conjoined by their cybernetic parts, they are the weapons expert of the group next to Gunner.  Finally, Star Girl, whose laser cannoned arms, will give her opponents no mercy.”


“So, what is the plan?”  The Director asked.


“Since we know that they are teenagers then they must go to school.  And that’s when we’ll catch them.”  She went up to the computer and punched a few keys, “Now to update their cybernetic hard drives giving them all the information that they will need.”  A few seconds later the computer beeped, and she looked on the screen, “This isn’t possible.”


“What is it?”


“Those brats implanted a virus into our computer systems, the information is corrupted.”


“The President did say at any costs.”  The Director reminded him.


“Yes, yes he did.”

 

 

           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 19

 

 

 

Sunday evening the teens met back at The Big House, Clara who decided to call herself Blaze, and Ally who chose the name Mindra as she could understand any spoken or written language and was able to retain anything that she learned as they were fitted into Bio-Suits.  Once that was done, they all went into The Holo-Dome to begin their team skills training.


After a couple of hours into it, Jacob called through the intercom, “Everyone please meet me in the Meeting Room as soon as possible.”  A few moments later, they were in the meeting room in normal clothing.  Jacob began the meeting by saying: “Now that we are a fully equipped team we need a leader; and since Green Defender is to be the next Dark-Rider he shall be the team's field commander, under him will be Shieldra and under her will be Molder.  Now as we all know The S.H.I.N.E. organization will stop at nothing to capture you.  Therefore, our top priority is coming up with theories when they might strike next.”


“They shall attack some us from our blind spot,” Mike spoke up.


“Huh?”  They all asked at once.


“Mike, if you know the answer then don’t be so cryptic about it.”  Dan requested.


“Think about it, where is the one place where they can get us at the same time?"


“Well not church, for we all go to different churches.”  Dave crossed that one off.


“And not here for the fact that we have top of the line security.”  Nicole continued the mental checklist.


“The school?”  Ally asked curiously, and Mike nodded.


“But that’s ridiculous!  They wouldn’t attack the school! It would defeat their purpose of having the general public join their cause.”  John argued.


"Thanks to the downloadable content that you obtained for us," he motioned to John, “it turns out that the true names of those cybernetic beasts are called Cyber-Destroyers," Jacob informed the group.


"The Society wants the public to believe they are made for their protection."  Clara deduced.


"That's why they were named Cyber-Defenders instead."  Jacob countered.


“Let me show you a recording of tonight’s news broadcast.”  Mike pressed a button below the flat screen; there it showed The Global President at a news conference.  “We have full knowledge of where this so called Alpha Force is located.  They are to be considered dangerous and should not be apprehended by those who have had no special training in handling these types of individuals.  Therefore, I have given The S.H.I.N.E. organization all power and authority to do whatever means necessary to bring these super-powered criminals to justice.”


“But you seriously don’t think that the government would allow such a thing as them attacking a school?”  Clara fumed.


“Think about it.”  Mike started to explain, “Let us say hypothetically they do find us, battle us and win.  Parents across the world would be more than willing to allow more of it to happen if it means the safety of their children from us Abnormals.  This would give them more power to make more Cyber-Defenders and make enough of them to cover every school, just to hunt others like us down and put us in a place where no one would find us again.”


“It would be another Holocaust, except worldwide,” Dave said in terror.


“That way with us out of the picture, The Society could have free reign to conquer not just here in America but the whole world,” John concluded.


“Then tomorrow if they show up, we need to be ready for the fight of our lives.”  Mike put his hand out and Nicole put hers on top of his, then Dan, Dave, and the others followed until James put his on top.  “We are The Alpha Force the world’s first and only line of defense against S.H.I.N.E.”

“If God is for us, who can be against us.”  Nicole quoted from Roman 8:31.


“Amen.”  They said in unison and disbanded for the night.


The next morning the teens met together in the schools’ parking lot.  From there they could see the Cyber-Destroyers stationed at every exit of the buildings.  “You were right Mike, they would do anything,” John muttered.


“You said that virus of yours would make our DNA show normal on their scanners, right?”  Clara asked, and he nodded.  “But what if they recognize our faces?”


“It would show up as someone else that has already gone by them.”


“There’s only one way to find out,” Mike told them, as he took hold of Nicole’s hand into his and led off with her and the others followed behind in intervals.  As they passed by Nogahead, they could not help but feel a little bit of fear seeping into their pores.  But once they all passed by without problems, the fear left them. “They’ve increased their forces,” Mike said quietly to Nicole.


Yeah, it would appear that way.”  She agreed.  They met at each other’s locker,


“Okay group this is how we’re going to handle the security situation.  No one goes through the hallways alone.  Minimum of two no more than four, we do not want to draw any unwanted attention to us, not just for our safety but the safety of the rest of the school as well.  Since Johns’ first-period class is close enough to the band room he and I shall go, everyone else coordinates how you feel necessary.  In addition, no calling each other on our comlinks, they could be easily picked up by our cyborg friends.  We’ll meet out on the baseball field at lunch.”  Then he and John left. Dan and Dave headed off together to biology as the girls headed to the girls’ locker room to get ready for gym class.


“So, are you and Mike together now?”  Clara asked all smiley.


“You could say that.”  Nicole nodded.  “I kissed him the other night.”


“Wow! How was it?”  Ally wondered.


“He’s not bad for a Sci-Fi geek.”  She admitted, and they laughed as they went into the locker room.


Throughout the day, they succeeded in not giving off hints of who they were to not only the “Cyber-Destroyers” but the students and faculty as well.  At lunchtime, they met under a tree line by the baseball field.  “So far so good.”  Dan huffed.


“Yeah but they must know that we’re here,” Dave admitted.


“True but we haven’t given us any reason to expose ourselves.”  John pointed out.


“That’s probably what they want.”  Mike thought aloud.


“How so?”  Clara pondered.


“Simple, a sense of security, having us gives ourselves a mental false sense of security, which allows them given the proper timing for them to do something to cause us to slip.”


“Mike’s right, we can’t let our guard down, not for a second.”  Dan agreed.


“Five minutes until the warning bell, we best head back,” Dave said as he looked at his watch. They all got up and headed back to the school. When they got there, they noticed that everyone was heading to the gym.


“What’s going on?”  Ally asked a nearby student.


“Those S.H.I.N.E. people want us to meet in the gym.”  The student answered.


“This can’t be good.”  John shook his head.


“What do we do?”  Nicole asked,


“We go with the flow.”  Mike answered, “John you have your belt?”


“Of course."


“Keep it ready, everyone sit together second bench closest to one of the locker rooms.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 20

 

 

 

The student body and staff of Silverton High gathered in the gym.  All of them sat nervously as they saw in the middle of the basketball court the principal of the school as well as The Director, Dr. Johnson and the Cyber-Destroyers.  The Principal grabbed the microphone shakily and spoke, “Students and Faculty of Silverton High, we are much honored to have with us The Director of The S.H.I.N.E. organization with us today, and his…associates.  They are for…well allow Director Baines to address you for their reasons of being here.”  He handed the microphone off.


Thank you, Principal Woods,” Baines thanked him with a fake smile.  “I know the presence of our Cyber-Defenders can be a little intimidating, but let me assure you they are here for your best interest.  For we know for a fact that there are those here that do not belong in our society…”


“Great choice of words.”  John uttered under his breath.


“Shush.”  Ally hushed him.


“…It is by the power invested to me by The Global President to ensure the apprehension of these freaks of nature.  Now, we have to been very patient and we were hoping that they would just give up ensuring your safety…”


“What does he mean by that?”  Dan asked.


“I have a feeling we’re about to find out,” Mike answered quietly.


“The President has said by any means necessary; therefore, I have here a list of names not of those with powers, but those who have broken the law.  And the names I call shall be immediately turned into a Cyber-Defender by force unless The Alpha Force surrenders.”


Students and teachers alike started to boo and say things like, “You have no right.”


“Our parents will sue!”


“Isn’t that illegal?”


“The President has authorized it; therefore, it shall be carried out.  Nancy Whitman!”  He pointed to the 36-year-old math teacher.  “You shall be the first.”  Rocko and Gunner approached her and grabbed her by the arms.


“No please don’t,” she pleaded, “I have a husband and children…what crime have I done?”


“Tax evasion,” Baines answered evilly.


“I never have…”  She was unable to finish her sentence in defense for Rocko had knocked her out by flicking his finger on her forehead.


“Let’s rush ‘em!”  The Captain of the football team shouted, and the crowd roared in agreement, as they charged at them.


“Hold hands!  Now John!”  Mike instructed and a second later, they were invisible.  They headed to one of the Locker rooms and once inside they were visible again.  “They played their hand, now it’s our turn. Alpha Force activate Bio-Suits.”  Within seconds, they were in costume.  “We each grab a Cyber-Destroyer and take them out.  I’ll take Rocko.”


“Paralyzer is mine.”  Shieldra pointed out.


“Frezor and I will take care of Chopper and Gunner.”  Molder volunteered.


“I’ll take Blondie.”  Blaze raised her hand.


“I’ll take on Yin-Yang,” Mindra assured them.


“That means I get two head.”  Sparks finished.  They exited the locker room and saw that they Cyber-Destroyers were fending off the students and faculty alike.


Hey, Baines!”  Green Defender bellowed over the noise of the crowd.  Everyone in the room stopped fighting as they saw that The Alpha Force had finally shown.


“So, you decided to finally show yourselves?”  Baines asked rhetorically.


“You ask, and you shall receive.  Now let the woman go.”  Green Defender demanded.


“As you wish, Rocko…”


“With pleasure Mr. Baines.” The cybernetic giant responded pleasantly as he threw the teacher towards a stack of bleachers.  Sparks sped to where she would have landed and caught her.  He laid her out across the bench and raced back to the group.  “Very impressive, but do you expect these people to take your side because you saved one life?”


“Actions speak louder than words.”  Molder quoted.


“Very well, Cyber-Destroyers kill them!”


“Did he say kill?”  Frezor asked in fear.


"And he called them for what they are."  Mindra pointed out.


“Stick with the plan, divide and conquer.”  Green Defender reminded them before he rushed towards Rocko, whom he grabbed, “Let's take this outside big boy.”  He told the goon as he picked him up and threw him out the door.


Molder and Frezor headed off into the hallways, “Where should we go?”  Frezor asked him.


Molder looked around and saw an open door, “Art room.”  He smiled, and then he and his frozen friend went in and locked the door behind them.


“So, what now?”  Frezor asked in haste.


“I’ll mold myself into a statue of some kind over there,” he pointed by a group of statues. “You hide by the teacher’s desk on the other end of the room.”


“Great plan.”  Frezor compliment sarcastically.


“You got a better one?”  He asked pointing to the door, “Because they’ll be coming through that door any second now.”


“This better work,” Frezor muttered as he hid behind the desk.  Molder took his place and turned himself into a statue.


Gunner and Chopper entered the room and looked around, “Do you think they are in here?”  Chopper asked.


“They weren’t in the last two rooms we smashed.”  Gunner answered.


“Wait.  One of them can turn himself to look like one of these pieces of pottery.”  Chopper pointed out.


“Then allow me.”  Gunner offered, as he extended his fingers and fired around the whole room, and one by one vase and other sorts of potter smashed into pieces as the bullets hit them.  “There that should eliminate some possibilities.”


Chopper extended his knife-like fingers and started to cut down one desk at a time until he got the group of statues.  He spotted a replica of The Statue of Liberty, “You know I’ve always wanted slice up Lady Liberty.”  He punned, and right before the blades swung down the statue came to life and latched itself onto him.


“It’s him!  Hold still so I can shoot him!”  Gunner ordered, “Aw screw it!”  He opened his chest cavity, which held a Tommy gun, but before he could fire, Molder latched onto him.  As Chopper recovered, Frezor came up from behind the teacher’s desk and made an ice sword and using it cutting Choppers’ cybernetic arms off, and then he froze the cyborg’s body into an ice statue.  He turned and saw that Molder had turned Gunner into a very thick concrete statue.  “Now that’s what I call Stone Cold.”  Frezor punned.


Rocko landed hard onto the concrete of the schools’ inner parking lot.  He got up and looked at his adversary, “You’re gonna pay for that little man.”  Rocko threw a punch at him, but he dodged the attack by using his super-human speed, “Stand still!”


“I don’t think so,” Green Defender told him, and then he began to run around in a circle to cause him to become dizzy.  Rocko studied how fast he was going and caught the green hero in mid-stride by the throat and threw him into the closest brick wall.


“You’re not as tough as I thought you were going to be.”  Rocko uttered as he began to walk away. Behind him, The Green Defender began to get up, and then he leaped into the air and drop kicked the robotic giant from behind, causing him to land face-first into the ground.  The green hero next opened the back panel and blasted the main controls with his stun blaster.


After that, he walked to where Rocko could see him face to face and said, “Next time make sure your opponent is down for the count.”


Outside the gym near the swimming pool, Blaze was fighting against Star Girl, “Like can we make this a quick fight?  I like to have other things to do.”


“Like sure thing girlfriend.”  Blaze mimicked.


“Hey like don’t be a copycat.”  The Valley Girl whined as she blasted the fiery hero with a laser blast, but Blaze flew around to dodge the hits.  “Like stand still you, stupid firefly.”  In addition, she blasted a few more shots but kept missing.


“My turn,” Blaze announced as she threw a couple of fireballs at the valley girl, who wasn’t very fast on her feet, for the fireballs hit her with complete accuracy.


“Help!  I’m like on fire!”


“The swimming pool is just down the hall.”  Blaze replied.  Wasting no time Star Girl headed off to the pool and jumped in.  Blaze walked up to her and said, “Oh, I almost forgot to tell you something,”


“Like, what’s that?”


“Water and cyborgs don’t mix.”


“Uh-oh…”  She started to say, and before she could even attempt to get out of the pool, she shot up into the air and exploded into parts…but still alive.


“Now that’s what I call a fireworks display.”


Shieldra approached Paralyzer with a readiness to fight, “You ready for round two?”


“When I’m done with you, you’ll need to eat out of a straw.”  He promised.


“Hmm, an original threat, did you steal that from a movie?”


“Die!”  The former Assistant Director screamed murderously and fired from the palms of his metallic hands.  Shieldra put up a force field just in time, for the impact it took made her shake through her whole body.  Paralyzer approached her as he increased the power, “Having trouble?  I’ve had some improvements.”


“Yeah, well too bad for you…because I’ve been faking the whole entire time.”  She admitted, then stood up and shield blasted him into a stack of bleachers.  She walked up to him and encased him inside a shield coffin to keep him detained.  “Just think this is the closest to seeing your funeral casket as you’re going to get.”


He called after her as she walked away, “Come back here you little wench!  I’m not done with you!”


“Better luck next time.”


Sparks was going head to head with the Cyber-Destroyer known as Nogahead.  Well, I see the phrase two heads are better than one really suits you guys.”


“Is he making fun of us?”  Asked the dumb brother.


“No, he’s making fun of you.”  The smart one answered.


“No one makes fun of me or my brother!”  The dumb one replied angrily as he lifted his arm and fired a plasma ray, but when it hit Sparks, he just stood there as if it was nothing.  “Hey, what gives?”


“I can absorb any type of energy and send it right back, observe.”  He explained and shot out a plasma ray of his own, and when it hit them, they fell to one knee.


“So, you think you’re so smart huh?”  Smart asked, “Then try this on for size!”  He lifted his arm and fired a missile.  Sparks didn’t waste no time using his sonic speed to escape the missile, however, when he looked back he saw it was following him, “Great a homing missile, I guess I should send it back to its home.”  He made a lap around the school and came back to its point of origin, as he stopped right in front of the cybernetic Siamese twins.  “Not only am I smart, I’m fast too.”  He then at the very last second moved away just in time for the missile to hit its point of origin, with the force of the blast to cause the cyborg to fly up into the air and come down hard on the ground.


As Sparks approached them he could hear them arguing.  “This is your entire fault!”  The Smart one complained.


“Is not!”  The Dumb one countered.


Sparks took out his Electro-Blade that he made that morning before school, activated it, “I think you two need some time apart.”  He then sliced them straight down the middle.


Hey, no fair!”  Dumb whined.


“Aw shut up you, big baby!”


“I’m not a baby!”


“You know what you guys need?”  Sparks asked honestly.


“What?”  They asked at the same time.


“Family counseling.”  He began to walk away with the now separated twins still arguing on whose fault it was.  “Sibling rivalry is such a beautiful thing.”


Lastly, Mindra went up against the new and improved Yin-Yang, “I blame you and your friends for me being turned into this ugly cybernetic freak!”


“Don’t you know that beauty is on the inside?”  Mindra asked sarcastically.


Yin-Yang fired laser-like ninja stars at her opponent, who dodged using her acrobatic skills; however, one of the stars hit her on her right knee causing her to fall.  “My stars leave a paralyzing effect when they reach their target.”  She explained to Mindra as she approached her, “But don’t worry I’ll make sure that your death is quick and painful.”  She grabbed Mindra by the throat and began to choke her to death.

 

Knowing that she didn’t have long Mindra reached out with her hands and placed them on Yin-Yang’s head and allowed the Bio-Suit to do its work, which allowed her to abstract any information from the enemy’s mind electronically and download it into her brain.  Yin-Yang screamed in pain, as she felt as if someone was sticking giant nails into her head; the pain was too much to bear so she released her adversary and asked, “What did you do to me?”


“I abstracted every bit of knowledge from your brain and downloaded into mine electronically, including your ninja skills.”


“How dishonorable!  What took me years of discipline, took you only seconds...”


“Dishonorable?  Don’t you think that fighting on the side of evil is dishonorable?”  Mindra questioned.  Yin-Yang screamed in Japanese and began her attack, this time with hand-to-hand combat.  With each attack, Mindra was able to counter, and when Yin-Yang spun around for a spin kick, Mindra ducked and then gave her an uppercut knocking her out.


The Alpha Force regrouped giving each other hugs and high-fives on a job well done.  They turned as they heard someone from behind them clapping, it was Baines; “Bravo, I must say you’ve outdone yourselves beating the next to the best thing that The S.H.I.N.E. organization could come up with.”


“What do you mean next to best thing?”  Shieldra asked.


“Just listen,” Baines, instructed as they could hear pounding footsteps, “That is the sound of your destruction.”  The giant footsteps got bigger and louder as they got closer. Suddenly a giant robotic form crashed through the wall.


“Greetings Alpha Force, it is I, The Cyber-Queen.  How do you like my latest creation the Ultimate Cyber-Destroyer?  I have all the offensive attacks of all my Cyber-Destroyers.  And with me in the cockpit, I have full control of its every action.”


“We’ll destroy it just like the rest of your cybernetic rejects!”  Green Defender promised.


“You’ll try.”  She began to fire bullets; plasma beams and rockets all at once.


Shieldra put up a force field to protect the group.  However, the multiple attacks were starting to wear down on her, “I’m not sure how much longer I can hold it!”


“The back panel,” Green Defender brought up, “There should be a panel on the back of that thing and underneath it, should be where the main controls are."


“And if we smash that thing then he would be left motionless.”  Molder concluded.


Frezor and Molder, you guys attack the legs. Blaze you fly up and distract her, while the rest of you attack the rest of the body, I’ll go after the panel. Now team go!”  They dispersed; Green Defender sped to the back of the giant metallic object.  He flew up and just when he was about to go for the panel, he was shot down with a hidden laser cannon.  “I thought you might try something like that, so I installed that as a precautionary tactic.”  The Cyber-Queen told her fallen foe.


“You’ll pay for that!”  Shieldra hollered and increased her attacks with her shield blasts at full intensity.  However, it had no effect, and the same with the others, the ice and clay would just crumble, and stun bolts, lightning bolts, everything that they could throw at it had no effect.


“Play time is over kiddies.”  Their enemy told them as she pressed a button, which activated a radial blast that canceled out all their abilities, making them normal humans.  “My DNA radius pulse has taken your powers away, leaving you completely defenseless.”  She grabbed them up into the machines giant mechanical hands, “Now time to finish you once and for all, but first allow me the honor of unmasking you all in front of the whole world.”


“Cyber-Queen, release them now!”  Came a familiar voice, it was Jacob in his Dark-Rider outfit.


“Aw, the infamous Dark-Rider, how nice of you to join us.  I’ll get to you as soon as I’m done killing your niece and her friends.”


“I’m warning you.  Release them or I’ll do whatever is necessary to bring you to justice.”


“Oh, spare me the heroic dramatics…”


“Two-Hammed Hammer!”  Called out another familiar voice, for from behind The Green Defender was alive and well, and before The Cyber-Queen could cause the machine to turn around to face the green hero, Green Defenders’ strongest force blast caused the UCD to fall front first onto the ground and the impact causing the hands to release its captives.  Green Defender then jumped onto its back, pulled off the panel and jammed his fist right into the control box.  He then regrouped with the others.


“Good job everyone; I am very proud of all of you.”  Dark-Rider congratulated them.


“Help!”  Their enemy hollered from inside the cockpit, “This thing is going to explode…get me out of here.”  Green Defender raced up to it; smashed open the cockpit grabbed her and followed the others out of the gym, which by the time they exited, blew up…when the dust settle Shieldra turned off the force field.


“Thank you.”  She said gratefully and was then knocked with a punch by Shieldra.


“That was for breaking my Uncle’s heart.”


Moments later the state police and U.S. military personnel approached the school.  Parents were hugging their kids glad knowing that they were safe.  The Alpha Force saw their families from afar and dispersed to return to normal and then seconds later joining up with them.  Dark-Rider and Shieldra disappeared into the crowd, as Baines came out of the school looking like a man gone mad.  “No one is to leave until I get those freaks!”


An Army General walked up to him, “Mr. Baines I have ordered here to place you, Dr. Johnson and those cyborgs there into custody.”


“Under what charges?”


“Destruction of school property for one!”  The Principal volunteered the first charge.


“Not only that, but falsifying documents, violation of human rights…”


“But the Global President…”


“Is right now signing his resignation papers and he too will be brought up on charges.  Plus, until further notice The Cyber Defender program is hereby suspended until a full investigation is complete.  The S.H.I.N.E. Organization will remain running and you will be succeeded.”


“You can’t do this!  Those freaks are still out there!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Epilogue

 

 

 

The school closed due to cleanup crews for the rest of the week giving the teens plenty of time for some R&R.  They sat around the living room of The Big House talking about what they were going to do during their week off. Jacob walked up to them, “The President…I mean former President has been arrested for Abuse of Power and among other charges.”


“Plus, with The Cyber-Destroyer program is out of commission that’ll give us some time to be ready for the next attack by S.H.I.N.E,” Mike said flatly.


“You don’t think…”  Dave started to say.


“We’ve only put a very small wrench in a very big gear.  They’ll attack us in ways we wouldn’t think possible.”  Mike interrupted cryptically.


“In other words, we slowed them down a bit, and we need to be ready for anything.”  Nicole translated.


“You mean you actually understand what he’s saying?”  John asked in disbelief.


“Stranger things have happened.”  Clara brought up.


“Yeah,” Ally agreed, “like I know ninja.”


“Well if you guys will excuse us, Nicole and I have to be going somewhere,” Mike said in a very gentleman-like tone.


“Where are you two going?”  Dan wondered.


“On a date,” Nicole answered with a big smile.  They activated their Bio-Suits and he took her into his arms as she said, “I think Italian sounds good right now.”


“Sounds good to me.”  He agreed and they off into the night sky.


In an unknown part of the world, The Council of The Society met in a dark room, with a shadowy figure at the head of the table.


“S.H.I.N.E. has failed us.”  One said.


“What is our next move?”  A third man asked.


“Nothing,” The Shadowy Figure answered, “We wait to see what evil may bring.”

 

 

The End

 

 

A message from the writer: Greetings everyone, I hope you enjoyed the first story of book one of The Dark-Rider Chronicles. This story is allegorical in a sense. Such as the sword of power is three swords in one. Just like the trinity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Spirit Blade represents the Holy Spirit, The Sword of The Warrior, represents Jesus Christ the Son, and The Sword of Wisdom represents The Father. The Bio-Suits represent the Armor of God. In addition, powers or abilities represent the spiritual gifts that God gives us to minister. I hope you will continue to read other stories by me as they come; the theme of this one is each of us has a calling in our lives...God is calling each and every one of us to a task. Remember his yoke is easy and his burden is light. If you are not a Christian and would like to ask Christ into your life then please read the following prayer with sincerity: "Dear Jesus, I admit to you that I am a sinner and that I need you in my life. Forgive me of my sins for which you died on the Cross for, and come into my heart. Thank you, God, for giving me your Holy Spirit, which I ask to reside within me. Thank you in all that you are going to do in my life. In Jesus' Name. Amen." If you did pray this prayer, please let me know. In Christ, Mike Gill.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


© 2020 Michael Gill


Author's Note

Michael Gill
Please let me know what you liked and didn't like. And what I could improve on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed it and I think, the ideas of behind the story are strong. There are a few things I would change such as the 'New United Nations', might think of a better name. The idea of a one world government is nice and they need a cool name to go with it, names which I cannot think of right now, but outside of the name I enjoyed the story.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Author

Michael Gill
Michael Gill

Eugene, OR



About
I write Christian Sci-fi stories and am looking forward someday in getting them published for all who wish to read it. more..

Writing