Some Wear A Mask

Some Wear A Mask

A Story by Scrawler'sSecret
"

998 words

"

“No, no, NO, Hannah. You never said we were doing this! You promised me you wouldn’t be doing this again!” It was the third time she showed up at my door. Her t-shirt was torn in three places and smeared with blood. Bits of her showing skin were blackened with grease.

“So who’s chasing you this…” I started, but she was around the corner and gone.

“If you don’t get going you’re going to find out. They don’t know that you’re ignorant!” Her devoir voice echoed back.

Whoever it was must have been close for her to ditch me. My heart was going faster than it should, but there wasn't much time. If they saw me it wasn't going to end well.

“Mom! I’ll be back.” I didn’t wait for a reply. Whether okay or not I had to get moving.

I started sprinting; usually she’s the faster runner out of the two of us, though I was quickly catching up. From where I was it looked as if she had a slight limp to her step. She must have hurt her ankle.

We weren't even three streets down when I over took her. As I darted by she instructed me to hide behind a dumpster in the alley on the right.

I followed her commands, she never steered me wrong before, so sure enough as I swung around the corner I narrowly avoided the a green metal dumpster. I admit, even though I’ve walked by that alley many times I never noticed the dumpster just inside.

"That was close,” I panted as Hannah came swinging around the corner. She instantly ducked down beside me and we both strained our ears for our pursuers.

My back was pressed to the slimy green surface while I waited for the scuffling footsteps to fade out of earshot. Still, I peeked my head around the dumpster to check the coast was clear before turning to Hannah, who at this point was sitting; her back against the brick wall, slightly out of breath, but pleased with herself nonetheless.

“Any other bright ideas?” I sneered. “Do you even know what would have happened if they caught us… caught you?! You just got out of prison and they would show no mercy for a repeat offender.”

“I’ve been telling you for ages. I know what I am doing. And I will not be getting caught again.” As she spoke time seemed to slow, her voice was calm and no emotion seemed to show; not even the determination hiding behind her eyes.

“But what if you do get caught! This time it wouldn’t just be you going down but me as well.”

“I already told you. WE will not be caught.” Her voice stayed firm. It was typical Hannah to be so confident in herself. Usually it’s a good thing, but just like the day she was caught, it could get the better of her.

“But how do you know that. This isn’t a world where plans work like they do on paper Hannah!” My anger was starting to boil over, yet her voice remained emotionless.

“That’s why I cover all instances. I knew this dumpster would be here.” As she said this she knocked her knuckles on the metal dumpster, the echoes seemed to expand in the alleyway, drowning out my voice.

“You’re not blind Hannah. You know you can’t account for everything. What about people? You never REALLY know what they are going to think… or do!”

“Ok, I admit that this was a close one and I'll even admit that I didn’t know they would chase us but it was still a success.”

“You know it’s not impossible for you to get caught. You just won’t admit that will you? You’ve been to prison, Hannah!” My voice grew louder until I saw her begin to look away. “What will it take to get it through your head that you aren’t invincible?”

“Just because I don’t show it... doesn’t mean I don’t feel. Why do you think I’m so determined to do this.” She looked up at me; the mask she always wore was cracking. She wasn’t afraid of getting caught again, she was afraid of breaking.

The silence that followed her statement was deafening. I moved a moldy pizza box and sat beside her. “Hannah," I didn’t know what to say, “I know why you want this so bad, but you need to take care of yourself. I know you need to be strong; I even know you just want to be strong for me.”

She didn’t respond so I went on, “Hiding your fears does not mean you aren’t feeling them. I’m your best friend, I can see that pain,” I turned to look at her, her eyes were shut and her hand was clamped on to her leg digging into the flesh.

“You’re right about one thing,” she finally spoke, “I have to be strong.” I was hoping she would say more but her mask had healed and fire sparkled from within her eyes.

I pried her hand off her leg and used the bottom of my shirt to clean the blood from her nails.

Did she really think I was that helpless? She couldn't have been thinking that, or else she wouldn’t try so hard to keep me with her. Either way, it was about time I was strong for her.

If this was going to keep happening there was just no way I could keep getting involved with Hannah’s schemes. My emotions hurt so that I sent my head back into the brick wall giving me the physical pain to match. But she needed me all the same. I don’t think I could have bared seeing her being taken to jail again.

I turned my head to Hannah sitting next to me. She was quiet; eyes open, twinkling as her adrenaline wore down from a level of fear to that of accomplishment.

“Come on, we should get going.”

© 2011 Scrawler'sSecret


Author's Note

Scrawler'sSecret
This is an older work. My writing has changed somewhat by now buti am still proud to share this story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on June 13, 2011
Last Updated on June 13, 2011

Author

Scrawler'sSecret
Scrawler'sSecret

About
I like to write obviously. I also believe that an important part of writing is reading. Learning other techniques to instill in your work. Or just new vocabulary words. I write all sorts of things... more..

Writing