You Built Your Walls Too High

You Built Your Walls Too High

A Chapter by SilverInk
"

Carli meets someone new, and a secret is revealed.

"

Carli sat back down and held her face in her hands. “What’s wrong with me?” she whispered through sobs. “Where did I go wrong?”

“I don’t think you did anything wrong.”

Carli jerked her head upwards, and scanned the room for the small voice that she had heard. It was none other than Autumn Mela, L. A.’s local weird girl.

“Mela?” Carli said cautiously.

“Please call me Autumn. It’s better that way.”

Yeesh. Creep much? “Um, okay.”

“Your friends don’t seem very nice.”

“What do you know about my friends? You’re just the resident creep.”

“I’m just trying to be kind to someone who seems to be outcast.”

“You would know a lot about that kind of thing.”

Autumn’s face turned red. “I can handle it, you can’t!”

Carli stood and looked Autumn square in the face. “Listen here, Mela. I don’t need pity. Especially not from you.”

“FIne, then.” Autumn turned on her heels and walked away.

Carli left Spoon’s and waited at the bus stop. Again, she found herself tugging at a tuft of hair. It was comforting in the worst way, because she knew her mother hated it. “Don’t pull your hair, Carli. It’s too beautiful to be pulled”.

Her mother hated tons of things, and loved many others. She loved roses, and put their petals in her homemade shampoo and conditioner. She loved writing, and her library was filled to the brim with original novels. Carli’s mother called herself the guardian of the book. She knew which bookmarks caused the least amount of damage to the spine, and when and where reading was appropriate. She despised that children now spoke so loudly in libraries, and hated the way they folded the corners of the pages.

A tear slid down Carli’s cheek. Her mother would have told her not to cry, if she were still alive.



© 2017 SilverInk


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love how you didn't make Carli the nicest person. Even with her demons she has flaws, and put a nice touch to the character.

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Yeah, I have a bad habit of making characters perfect, and Carli was a great way to break the habit... read more
This chapter was extraordinary i loved how you built up to the main point her mother being dead this is great keep up the good work.

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Thanks for your review!
who seems to be outcast.” seems to be an/the outcast? No problems I see good writing the further along we go we get more info on the main character I like the line .. She knew which bookmarks caused the least amount of damage to the spine,

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

That's "outcast" as in the verb, not the adjective. I'm glad you liked this chapter!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 9, 2017
Last Updated on December 13, 2017


Author

SilverInk
SilverInk

New York, NY



About
This account is no longer active. more..

Writing
My Guest My Guest

A Poem by SilverInk