The Library

The Library

A Story by John Dennis Gillespie
"

A creative, nonfiction sociological essay.

"
The libraries are filled with the lower class because we believe that we are here for a bigger cause than ourselves. Our pockets are slim and our hopes are huge; we believe in something greater than this institution. Our only fear is that our pockets might strip away our hopes. The libraries are filled with the lower class because we can’t afford those mac laptops and those Microsoft applications and those minor essentials. When our pages are written, each word is written with the weight of an entire nation; an entire nation that has created a superficial idea of every person being created equal without taking into account the truth. The truth is, the poor are born into poverty and warped into their society. A society that believes that our worth is defined by what our occupation is. A society that suffers from social dysfunctions and occupational slavery. A society that worships the bourgeoisie and detest the proletariats. The libraries are filled with the lower class because the additional work that they must put into their efforts is crucial for any potential success. We can understand people better by understanding the society of which they have grown up in. Poor parents generally make poor children, and rich parents, generally make rich children. Our individualism is shaped by our society. Our biography is not written without a historical and societal impact that is inevitably out of the control of the individual. We are truly either products of our environment or by-products of our environment, but nonetheless, we are undeniably connected and partially controlled by societal structures.

© 2013 John Dennis Gillespie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on October 8, 2013
Last Updated on October 8, 2013
Tags: Sociology, Observations, Essay, Creative, Non-fiction