Irreplaceable Angels....

Irreplaceable Angels....

A Poem by Nely Amorim
"

My thoughts on the lost orphaned children of South Africa, where every 14 minutes a child loses his last parent or adult carer to Aids.Why is this atrocity allowed to continue seemingly unabated? We are losing too many of God's sweet gifts....

"

Hungry and alone, he wonders lost, down a dirt road

Barefeet and tattered shirt, his belly rumbles with hunger

A thousand questions in his mind, yet he is numb, tears spent.

Lonely and afraid, his eyes search the horizon

Hoping for something unknown, nameless.

 

His dispair is palpable, in his eyes hopelessness

A child of five, his brown skin cold, yet fevered

His liquid brown eyes, reflecting an aged soul

Too much pain and suffering in this little body

 

His parents, his brothers, his family lost to a wasting disease

He flees for his life and his sanity. Where to? He knows not.

Life's light flickers faintly in his eyes

Death hovers near, to bear him away.

 

He stumbles in his delirium and falls to his knees

Moaning in pain and heartbreaking loneliness

Death's gentle hands, takes his pain racked body

Embracing it with care. Taking him far from there.

 

Another nameless face, lost to us.

Another Bright Spark, taken too soon.

Another future snuffed before it begins

Did you notice? Did you care? Do you turn away in discomfort,

in your warm, loving home? Did I?

 

Cry in grief for the millions lost each year,

Irreplaceable Angels, Each hour desperation.

Cry for the pain they suffer, but more

For the pain of feeling unwanted & unloved.

The World's greatest crime.

 

A Soul departs, the body remains to be counted.

© 2008 Nely Amorim


Author's Note

Nely Amorim
This was never going to have a happy ending, because the truth is far from happy. Your thought's are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Read this again, just now... and the thought that you should send it to Oprah Winfrey and let her know she's not the only one who thinks of and cares about the unfortunate children around the world. I was watching her show yesterday and one of her guests has been raising money, building schools and churches in 3rd World Locations for a few years now... he used to work for Microsoft and decided he would take his own money and do for others and has made himself happier and has changed his world and help make the world of others better for taking part. You're right about "no happy ending" but, once in a while, smiles are created against all odds.
Sallie Bear

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh wow. You are so right. The truth is far from happy. This is a beautifully written piece of art.

"Did you notice? Did you care? Do you turn away in discomfort,

in your warm, loving home? Did I?"

Those lines really got me. How often do we think of those less fortunate? Not very often, I don't think.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh my this is really so sad to read but it's a terrible situation so the mood is just right... it's amazing to see all the crimes against humanity that takes place day after day... the only thing I can say is God has a lot of wonderful little angels to help him and keep him company.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an awesome poem. My daughter does missionary work in South Africa. She leaves this December to return there(her third trip) and she will be a camp coordinater and program director of a ministry especially designed for these children. She will be staying there three years after graduation from University. She is a journalist so perhaps she can help spread the word as well as hope and caring among these desperate youth. Great that you are trying to raise public awareness, excellent job on this!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A excellent write, my-- the emotions are flying high in this poem. I think in the 4th stanz "take" should be takes a typo I would presume. Good work Tony

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Read this again, just now... and the thought that you should send it to Oprah Winfrey and let her know she's not the only one who thinks of and cares about the unfortunate children around the world. I was watching her show yesterday and one of her guests has been raising money, building schools and churches in 3rd World Locations for a few years now... he used to work for Microsoft and decided he would take his own money and do for others and has made himself happier and has changed his world and help make the world of others better for taking part. You're right about "no happy ending" but, once in a while, smiles are created against all odds.
Sallie Bear

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow, this is amazing. its powerful and the wording is amazing, the ending... its jsut... WOW,

"A Soul departs, the body remains to be counted."

that might be one of the best lines of poetry ive read in a while.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow. A very powerful message, touching the heart, touching the mind...making me feel very fortunate to have been born into 'this' world. I am not affluent, nor was I raised as such, but I can say that such horrors, as those you describe, have never been upon my doorstep and for that I am grateful.

Dynamically written. Good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A great poem with a very strong ending... a soul departs and a body remains to be counted. Question is... will it be?

Posted 15 Years Ago


this is so... there's not even a word to describe this... this is an amazing piece, and i hope you take this and use it to help these poor children... im a crybaby at heart, and this brought tears to my eyes... this is so incredibly sad, and more-so knowing it's real...
amazing write...
jess

Posted 15 Years Ago


Melanie, this is fantastic. It is hard hitting, and brings to attention the terrible existence of so many in the African continent. A gritty, yet very sensitive piece that should remind us to ask for God's mercy on the less fortunate in Africa.....and elsewhere for that matter. I loved it.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1005 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 1, 2008
Last Updated on August 21, 2008

Author

Nely Amorim
Nely Amorim

Fremantle, West Australia, Australia



About
I have enjoyed reading all types of novels since as far as I can remember, a love of reading encouraged by my Mother, even at expense to her own interests. Stormzz I have neglected this site fo.. more..

Writing
Blurred Blurred

A Poem by Nely Amorim



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..