Got a match?

Got a match?

A Poem by willweb

I quit smoking

But I would give anything for one more

I would sneak one when no one was looking

I would have one in full view of everyone

I would savor it slowly when I did

Just to have one more against my lips

To be able to feel the heat enter my body

To experience the taste again

I would do whatever it takes

I miss them, I need them, I want them

 

You quit kissing me

(re-read lines 2 thru 10)

© 2014 willweb


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I smoke. It's killing me. Couple attempts to quit left me feeling like this poem. Unfortunately my soulmate didn't mind the smoke which enabled me. Maybe if she had quit the kiss I'd have kicked the habit.

Nine years later now since you wrote this poem. Did you manage to quit?I believe I read in a more recent poem about how happy your lips are.

Posted 1 Year Ago


willweb

1 Year Ago

Yes sir, I did manage to quit smoking but kissing???? Never. : )
The way I interpreted this is that much like cigarettes those kisses from whoever are so sweet but so bad for you. A bad habit you have to quit but wish you didn't. I enjoyed it very much.

Posted 6 Years Ago


willweb

1 Year Ago

Thanks Drew. Yep, in the end that is exactly what it was.
We yearn for things we no longer have, things we did not realize were so sweet... Clever piece, Will.

Posted 9 Years Ago


willweb

9 Years Ago

Thank you Rita so much for your nice comments. I an happy you liked this one.
That was quick and hot cause I don't believe this is about cigarettes at all, feels more like the metaphor for the last line of this piece. I enjoyed the alliteration...kissing is also an art. (My interpretation might be wrong)

Posted 9 Years Ago


willweb

9 Years Ago

Shirlena, thank you so very much for your comments. You are quite correct. I am glad you enjoyed th.. read more
No cigarettes and no kisses Will.Your need for both and the loss you feel for your love is so poignant.Great if a bit sad pen Will :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


willweb

9 Years Ago

Vidya, thank you so much for your comments. I am glad you liked this one.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Vidya Bacchus

9 Years Ago

You are welcome Will :)
I had to sneak on to read ... Lol another sleepless night ... I also had to break my silent stroll through poetry for this one. Absolutely brilliant Will.. Wow. I mean the way you have us thinking in the first read and then switch it... Wow.. And then reading those word again applied to the true meaning of your heart... Wow... That seems to be all I can come up with. The addiction you feel for both is a hard one to break, I wish they had a patch for quitting love. Amazing write, friend. I will sneak by again on another sleepless night. Until then...

Posted 9 Years Ago


willweb

9 Years Ago

Thank you Kalypso for sneaking in to leave these comments. It is a nice surprise to hear from you. I.. read more
It's a bad habit, and yes one more and you're hooked again, and then NO kisses for you...love the double entendre!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

willweb

9 Years Ago

Thank you so very much Frieda P. for your comments today. I am happy you liked this one.
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

My pleasure, it was a clever one. :-)
???????????????? I need an interpretor on this one.

Posted 9 Years Ago


willweb

9 Years Ago

What did you not understand Cryingkate? Thank you for your comments anyway.
ahaha! love the second read ... nice job and hang in there ... kissing allowed but no cigs!!
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


willweb

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Einstein Noodle. I am happy you liked this one.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 18, 2014
Last Updated on June 18, 2014

Author

willweb
willweb

TX



About
Hi, I am willweb. Maybe you remember me and maybe you don't. I have been writing here on and off for years. I pop in and write and read and comment and make friends and learn new things. I enjoy maki.. more..

Writing
The Edge The Edge

A Poem by willweb


Cupid's Bow Cupid's Bow

A Poem by willweb



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..