Chapter 2: Quarentine Battle

Chapter 2: Quarentine Battle

A Chapter by FuyuSeishin1
"

First battle in the story, the Solar Regime Corps aka Rays are ordered to destroy the quarantine zone so Death's Door takes quick action. Jackson meets some old friends in the middle of battle.

"

Chapter 2: Quarantine Battle

 

                "So why are we going here exactly," I ask Slade as we follow him to an old maglev subway. "Since you'll be with us, I might as well tell you," He began, "The conditions outside quarantine are just a fraction of the problems that happen inside. I've been told that there are reports of increasingly aggressive military activity inside there. We even had reports of my men being found and publicly executed like in the middle ages."

 

"So what's the problem," Nate asked.

 

His expression turned darker than it originally was, "We got reports of innocents killed for no reason at all or our own men and women being sniped without warning. Plus, we even intercepted transmissions that the b******s are going to nuke the place. They even brought a nuke ready to detonate."

 

"A-A n-nuke," I stammer in surprise, I had seen very old videos from World War 2 of those bombings in Japan and the after effects. Today, we sometimes use them to take out large enemy fleets or...high level contamination zones. My blood ran cold with shock as I thought the latter, "You mean they'll-"

 

"Yes, recruit," Slade said, his anger rising in his voice, "They'll blow up quarantine and maybe half the city along with it to set an example." A few troops toss us the rebel's coats and masks as he continues, "The bomb will be remote detonated, so we have to take out the station that holds the weapon. I'll need you guys to come with me. I'm sure you've done some simulations at the Academy."

 

"Yes, sir," Nate began with uncertainty in his voice, "but, we all did only basic urban combat simulations against holographic troops."

 

"Then at least you know how to move around and use a gun," He said as he took some rifles from a nearby rack and tossed them to us, "Here, some Burst Guns." Burst guns are specifically operated like their name sake, they fire in short, accurate bursts and could take all kinds of rounds as long as you could change the barrels and actions for certain rounds. These guns are standard issue for the SRMC and many human paramilitary outfits.

 

                I did whatever procedure calls and checked the weapon from the magazine to the action. I then held the gun up against my shoulder and looked down the sights, which are precision iron sights. "You made these," I asked out of curiosity.

 

"More or less," Slade said, "Mostly from stolen parts from people we got on the inside the other weapons we have are off the black market."

 

The former made sense. There are reports of incomplete supply boxes to the military back at the academy for live fire and simulated training excursuses with actual guns. We both put on our coats and hag our masks around our necks we follow Slade onto the old Maglev monorail train. Nathan seems uneasy as he says, "U-um, wont we be exposed here?"

 

"Don’t worry, Recruit Nathaniel," Slade says, "Like our base, our monorail network is invisible to enemy scanners. Plus, it's quiet, observe." He signals the conductor to start the train as soon as more troops, a couple MBS mechs kneeling in standby, and some supplies are loaded on. We jerked foreword as the elecrotomagnetic current flows through the rails and propels us foreword as quiet as a whisper. Nate relaxed as soon as he was reassured that we won’t get found immediately. He then hands us some combat gear and coats, "Since you guys are with us we won’t have my men mistaking you as an enemy or another civilian." We put the gear on without questioning it.

 

                Slade explained as we traveled, "before we switched to Beam Rails, this type of Maglev system was state-of-the-art, it has the capacity to carry anything as long as it can fit, move at top speeds of over 750 mph with countermeasures to keep people stable, though it's not recommended for them to go that fast, and even move so quietly that first-time passengers fall asleep and miss their stops despite the speakers heralding their arrivals."

 

"So why did they stop making these and switch to the Beam Rail," I ask.

 

"The Beam Rail gained in popularity as it exceeded the Maglev's capabilities by 150%," Slade said while shrugging, "But it's nothing compared to practicality over something so pretty as a new piece of tech. This is why we kept these reliable relics up and running for our travel networks in all of Terminus and many other planets."

 

The conductor began speaking over the intercom, "We're nearing our stop guys and gals, gear up and get ready."

 

Slade changed from historian to commander in an instant as he shouted to his troops, "Our stop is a reported warzone. Stay sharp, the SRMC might as well be trying to attack the base at the stop," An explosion is heard aboveground, a mortar. He turns towards us, "Get ready to kill, newbie."

 

Nate nodded and checked his action by pulling back the bolt and letting it go letting the click sound resonate with the other soldiers doing the same. I follow along but for some reason, I'm nervous. I've never wanted to kill anyone even though my training record says that I have the potential of taking on a few squads single-handedly. We arrived at our stop with some rebel troops here to welcome us.

 

                "Status report," Slade says to a pale-skinned woman with short, slightly-graying black hair in the Death’s Door uniform with a face scarf instead of the signature gas mask.

 

"We got heavy fire," Began the soldier as she lowered her face scarf. Seeing her familiar face she looks a lot younger than I expected, "Light tanks and medium infantry make up the majority but there's a possibility of an MBS presence in the area."

 

"Hold the line while we unload, we just got our delivery of Ronin MBS suits through Tahl's back channels. Each suit armed and ready for real-time combat testing," Slade said with a surprisingly cheerful smile for his usual grim attitude, "Our men are just getting in and linking up and the rest of which are infantry."  Tahl's back channels, most likely from black market or Tahl arms dealers working outside the network. The Tahl in general are neutral yet highly advanced in many aspects of technology but they specialize in weapons as far as the SR is concerned so dealing with weapons is common with them.

 

"Yes sir," The soldier said as he thumped her right fist over her chest in salute before returning to his subordinates.

 

"That was 2nd Lt Alexis Weiber," He said to us, "She was my second in command when we were in the same company before I got promoted. I'm glad she's on my side, she's a good officer and maybe the first and only female of her rank before I was promoted."

 

"Damn," Nate commented, "We're meeting more war heroes today."

 

"Anyways, we got a battle to fight, Nathaniel," He said, back to business, "You too, Recruit Jackson."

 

We both nod and follow the troops up to the battle above. While running up, I'm thinking, 'this is gonna be covered up again. Maybe as a large scale cleansing of class 4 infected, and leave many people to mourn. If the nuke option is done then...I guess that that they would say that the quarantine zone has become highly infectious and the extra part of the city would be chalked up as an accident due to a faulty warhead or targeting glitch or something.'

 

                Just before we entered, we put on our masks and found our ears covered. I felt strange as I felt something move into my ear's entrance which I realized it was a transmitter. I heard many radio transmissions from I hope is from a set and encrypted frequency. In my ear I heard many things including Slade's voice. "Listen up, my fellow rebels," He began as the men on the radio went silent, "I got reinforcements with some MBS support. Hold the line and Godspeed to all of you."

 

The last sentence reminded me of the defense of Forge system 5 years before the SR reign. He took up command when the main fleet commander died as Garm forces moved in on his remaining forces plus his reinforcements. The Garm...Generalized to be a xenophobic, hostile and nomadic race but I met some innocents that are actually very nice the ones we fight are mostly reacting on instinct or feeling. Anyway, according to the footage I watched back at the academy, the battle ended well as the Garm retreated. I looked at Nate as he is more focused at what's going on out there so all I could do is stand there and wait for the signal to move out.

 

"Get ready boys and girls," The squad leader says, "We got civvies coming so we must cover them," He looks at me, "New kid, since this may be the first time you've seen real combat, you stick close to me, no matter what and fire at any Ray you see. Watch out for their MBS's and tanks when they come and let ours take care of them."

 

"Y-yes sir," I stammer as I switch off my safety and check my action following the men in the squad. I take a breath while thinking back to my VR training back at the academy. Keep calm, don’t panic, focus on your mission and watch your back and your comrade’s back.

 

"Alright people, let's go," The squad leader says, "Everyone, on me!"

 

My temporary squad and several others all charged into the battle zone shouting profanities of all kinds and belting out battle cries. The SR's infantry didn't expect this and their lines almost collapsed as they quickly regrouped. In the time it took for them to do so, we found cover amongst what's left of the compound's main area. We watched refugees within the compound getting into the main building group by group. Including me, everyone began popping up and firing, yet I was more hesitant than ever. I never killed anyone never wished to, the VR sims I've been in were games to me but this is now real life, or at least to my knowledge. Ironically, I was being trained to be a soldier at the academy. Despite all the fighting around me, I chuckle at myself from the feeling of irony of this.

 

                Breaking my chain of thought was seeing 3 familiar figures clad in the Death's Door's gear, run over to me keeping their heads down. Up close I see that they are my friends, Nathaniel, Sacha and Katsuki. "Well, talk about coincidence," I say to them over the din of battle.

 

"That was my line," Says Sacha keeping a watch for the enemy, "I thought you'd be with those Rays."

 

"Thank God I'm not," I say to her, "I don't want to have you guys in my sights when s**t foes down," I look at them and ask, "Why are you here anyways? Shouldn't you be with your squads?"

 

"Mortars," Nate said, "We were told to fall back here to hold back the enemy and protect the refugees."

 

"Well, we're here together," Katsuki says to me, "Let's fight together."

 

I realized that I was shaking a minute ago. Seeing my friends stopped that as I felt my heart soar as I say, "You're right, let's fight together."

 

"That's the Jack I know," Nate says as he checked the action and popped up out of cover and fired at the Rays. Katsuki and Sacha headed to my position's flanks.

 

I looked over the barrier and saw tanks and some SR Storms fronted by some squads of Rays. All that I could say to myself was, "Oh s**t," as I said into the communicator in my mask, "We got a column of Storms and tracks with medium infantry inbound from the right of the gates."

 

The response I got was, "Hold there, we got storms for them as well."

 

As if on cue, a squadron of 5 Ronin Storms leapt into battle rolling on wheels in the feet. The models look a lot like I've seen in military displays back in tech class in the Academy. Left arms are fixed in place armed with Auto-cannons as in their right hands are blades rippling with energy. It was quite the sight watching these battle suits literally jump into action. I'm sure other soldiers stopped shooting as the Storms did their work. They effectively split to three groups. The leader attacked the center while his wingmen came around and attacked from the flanks. The SR's Storms were hopelessly outmaneuvered and cut down by the energy swords. The infantry panicked as their line broke as half of them kept running foreword. Meanwhile some level headed men stayed behind and attempted to pepper the Ronin Storms with their high-caliber burst guns, but were slaughtered. Some Storms then began to take out the tanks. They backed off and bombarded the tanks with cannon fire.

 

                The men that ran foreword were met with us. Even I fired at the enemy as though it was natural. On the communicator, I hear that the train to the escape station is almost full. The next order was for everyone to pull out. The allied Storms fell back first then infantry squads began pulling back under covering fire. I was amongst the last with my friends leaving before me. When it was time, I saw a plasma grenade in mid arc. My squad mates ran but I stood my ground as the world around me slowed to a crawl. I find myself aiming at the grenade and, to my amazement, shooting it out of the air as the blast knocked me off balance. Immediately, I regained my footing and headed into the compound’s main building down into the tunnels where they're about to seal it off. I sprinted down into the entrance and they immediately sealed it off by shutting heavy blast doors as I cleared past the large threshold. Behind me, as the doors closed, I heard an explosion. "What the hell was that," I asked Slade as he approached me, "Were they close?"

 

"No," The rebel leader said, "Some men planted bombs to block the entrance to these tunnels."

 

"Huh, would that hold them back," I ask him.

 

"For some time," He said back as we headed for the train, "We are relocating but for now, we got to take out that rocket. This outpost is one of 5 others here that are now evacuating civilians and we got to take out that nuke station."

 

"Oh," I say as I remembered, "I guess I'll be going with you?"

 

"Yes," He said as we boarded the train, "That includes your friends and a few other squads."

 

"Why them," I almost shout at him.

 

"Calm down," He said holding out his hands, "I've seen your skills in the battle. All of you are impressive for being recruits, so you have my confidence."

 

"You sure," I look at him, "About putting us into such a risky mission, I mean."

 

The lieutenant chimed in saying, "You'll be fine, kid. The squads will be from my men. No need to worry since they're tough as nails."

 

"Lieutenant Weiber's unit is actually amongst some of my top soldiers," Slade added, "You’ll be safe with them. Plus, I'll have her lead you guys on the ground. I'll be on the radio to call in any sort of sniper support but the positions are close to some security systems found there by some inside men."

 

"But the main objective is to disable the nuke, right," Nate asked since he overheard the conversation.

 

"Correct," Slade says to him, "But, there's no reason to pass up the opportunity."

 

"I'm good with those systems," Katsuki said, "Jackson familiarized me with them so I might be able to disable them."

 

Slade gave me a look and so I spoke the truth, "Nate and I had to teach him since he was interested in our education. Since he can't get in due to the fact that he's an ET he asked us to teach him to repay us for saving him."

 

"Makes sense," Slade says with a nod, "No SR Corps branch will accept any non-human, and fortunately we're not the SRC. You'll find more of your kinsmen with us, Recruit Katsuki."

 

"Okay," Katsuki said with relief in his voice.

 

                The train stopped at what one can assume to be the escape and departure station. Once we all disembarked, the Lieutenant rounded my friends up along with some extra squads of soldiers. "Alright, boys and girls," the LT said in an authoritive tone, "We got hundreds of innocent lives at stake. Not just within the quarantine, I'm afraid. The Regime is going to launch a Nuke on the city. We will move in and take out the security and defense systems so Commander Slade will send us support. Once that's done, we move to disable the nukes."

 

"No doubt it'll be tricky," Nate commented out loud.

 

"I never said it will be so," The LT said, "Just keep with the program and stay alive."

 

With that, we all headed up to a reserved transport. The transport I'm on now rivals the Osprey aircraft and any propelled aircraft that came before this. The Universal Transport XV (designated UT-XV) can go as far as Interplanetary to inter-solar travel with assistance from the various lanes. It’s mostly preferred when used by Military to carry people, supplies, vehicles and equipment onto fleet ships or battlefield transport. Top speeds could go 2x the speed of sound while keeping passengers and pilots safe to some extent. While it can be fitted with defense systems (Flares, point defense, rocket pods, mounted guns, visual camo and shields) it's very vulnerable as it is mainly a transport vehicle. The craft I'm on seems to only have camo systems which are just a visual cloak but it's visible to heat sensors and faint on advanced radars. My thoughts of concern are cut short as we land at least a few klicks from our objective behind an abandoned recycle facility just out of sight. "Alright people," Weiber said to us, "Lock and load, say your last prayers and move out." Without questioning it, we headed out guns ready and loaded. Our safeties are off and ready to shoot as we enter the enemy compound.



© 2014 FuyuSeishin1


Author's Note

FuyuSeishin1
I think I might have advanced the story a little too quickly with this fight maybe not, it's up to you, so be nice.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
Added on June 24, 2014
Last Updated on June 24, 2014
Tags: Sci-fi, Dystopian, Action, Adventure, FIrst-Person


Author

FuyuSeishin1
FuyuSeishin1

Kenosha, WI



About
Trying to start as a legitimate author while I admit that I do have an account on fanfiction.net. My username there is Fuyu_Seishin12 and I use the same profile picture. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by FuyuSeishin1