Chapter 3: Nuke Shutdown and Escape

Chapter 3: Nuke Shutdown and Escape

A Chapter by FuyuSeishin1
"

One last mission on the planet Terminus before leaving. Our heroes come back wounded and tired but they got more than just wounds...

"

Chapter 3: Nuke Shutdown and Escape

 

                We are 150 meters away from the first marked barrier. At the moment, it seems safe enough and I'm thankful for the cover of night and charcoal black-colored gear. Speaking of which, it was dusk when the fight at the outpost quieted down. Even though we're technically within enemy territory, it's surprisingly quiet. "Lieutenant," I began as she turned to me giving me the go ahead, "I have a bad feeling, despite the cover of the night, it's too quiet here."

 

"I'm getting that same feeling, kid," She says to me keeping her voice down, "We should be careful, who knows what's coming."

 

"Right you are," Nate whispers as he moves ahead to look through a scope. Nathaniel was designated as the scout as he always had been at the academy. He's always been quick on his feet since he was a kid. The scope he's using is a more modified version of the 20th century's binoculars and can see in UV night vision and Heat sensor even has a sort of radar-like imagery for whatever area is in your LOS (line of sight). "We got a few patrols 50 meters in front of us," Nate said after scanning the areas ahead, "Looks like they also have some air support. We got some T86 Gunships hovering."

 

The gunships or any kind of close air support these days are no longer propeller or jet propelled with some exceptions of a few planet based planes. The T86 Nova is one of the most fearsome of the SR's air arsenal. This hovercraft could fly over skyscrapers that reach just at the edge of the habitable atmosphere layer. The weapons it uses are said match everything but the latest generation of MBS systems. As the showcasers bragged, an entire squadron of them could take out a whole mountaintop and awaken volcanic activity in just a few volleys.  "Damnit, we got Novas in the sky," Cursed the Lieutenant and speaks into her communicator, "Commander, it's me. We got Novas circling like Earth's vultures above the enemy compound."

 

In our communicators, Commander Slade responds, "We'll send in one of our custom Storms. We had just ran some simulations and the techies gave it the green light for combat. If any of your men have a Neuro Plug in them, get him in there and it'll activate."

 

"Understood," She says as she signals one of our squad mates, Bruno, to stand by and get ready to jump in. Upon closer inspection, I could see the vacant plug in the back of his head where the MBS will lock you into. By the looks of it, the connection isn’t that deep at all, hell, I might try it sometime.

 

                The Storm dropped down to us in no time and it was surprisingly quiet. I just hope the enemy sensors are not going haywire from the activity. Before I could look, Bruno ran up as the Storm opened up from the front revealing how you sit inside. At first, it seems like you stand in it but it adjusted as he got in so the pilot is practically sitting. I didn't see where the plug comes in from since it closes just as he got connected. I guess I'll have to experience it for myself once I'm able to get in one. "We just developed this and just in time, too," Slade said into our ears, "This Storm is bred and built for covert operations and ambushes. It has cloaking abilities and quiet as a whisper on its wheels. It's primarily made for attacking ground units but we modified this version with anti-air missiles, silent Plasma version. This thing can take a beating but don't be hasty. It's the only one we got now. I call it the Stalker V2 AA after the its older generation but we kept the dual 15.2 caliber machine guns."

 

'Silent Plasma,' I think to myself. Silent plasma missiles are silent superheated energy projectiles that move fast and would usually come in swarms and melt and ignite everything and everyone inside upon impact. "You're really pulling out the stops are you, sir," I say to him.

 

"The survival of civilians in the city is paramount, soldier," Slade said to me, "I've seen too many innocents die in my time here. I will do anything to save who I can."

 

"Now let's stop with the talking," Lieutenant Weiber said, "Let's get s**t done boys and girls." With a group affirmative, we moved in to position.

 

Along the way, we had to knock out or sometimes kill a few patrols. When we reached our first objective, the first barrier, Katsuki was helped over the barrier and effortlessly disabled one section of the barrier. The barriers work as individual sections of superhot energy beams so if one is disabled, the rest won’t follow to create a chokepoint if consolidated effectively. "Okay, once we're past the second barrier," Weiber began pointing to areas on her holographic map on a customized Holophone, "Bruno would begin firing on those Novas. Then we move in to take the main structure and disable or stop the launch sequence."

 

"Whata bout the security systems," Katsuki asks.

 

"I'm getting to that," She says maintaining her patience, "We'll just have to destroy the radar and ground scopes. Katsuki, Allie and Liam, you're in charge of that. The rest of you come with me. Squad 2 and 3 watch our backs." Alile, a young woman who looks like she's seen one too many bloody fights and survived the Strain at stage 3 simply nods. Liam, a much older man who's visibly showing some muscle and prior military experience merely grunts an answer. The two other squads quietly check their weapons. My squad there's only me, the LT, Sasha, Nate another soldier named Alois, and a combat tech named Ivan moving in to attack the main building.

 

                There are no patrols in between these barriers but it bugged me a little. Nate stopped us as he saw he detected electrical signals just below the soil. Proximity mines, as far back as 2150, these things have changed the face of area denial. Instead of stepping on the mine you just have to walk close and it will pop up and launch metal balls or incendiary explosives. The lieutenant ordered Bruno to move back as Ivan tossed an EMP grenade into the area. When it detonated, Nate detected nothing under us so we moved in and let Katsuki work his magic on the next section. As the plan went, the Stalker Storm rolled in and began firing on the Novas with its plasma rocket pods while laying down a base of fire with its dual machine guns. Both squads 2 and 3 moved in and took cover as they continued the attack. My squad split up as planned, Katsuki, Allie and Liam moved under the cover of fire while the rest of the squad, including me, moved in on the main structure of the compound.

 

                We ran in while shooting and watching each other's backs as the entire camp of enemy soldiers virtually came out of the woodwork. Once inside, there is still some resistance. Me and Sasha had to clear rooms along with Nate and Alois. LT Weiber and Ivan watch our backs. A few times we had to take out a lot of guards with Rail pistols. The Rail Pistol is an extremely shrunk version of the larger rail gun now to be used for close to mid range though originally made for snipers. The gun itself has more kick than I thought but I was only doing simulations back then. God damn...those simulations I keep thinking back at those. "Almost there," the LT said as she moved effortlessly as though she's in her 20s, "Just keep moving this way."

 

"Yes ma'am," I say as we move through the room all the way to the command center.

 

"This is it," Ivan said his voice laced with a slight Earth Russian accent looking at the computers, "All these screens are showing that all bombs are armed. Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can cancel the code. Watch my back if you please."

 

As if on cue soldiers began to take notice and arrive. While Ivan worked, we began holding back the enemy. Close quarters combat, as I expected, is brutal. The enemy is literally around the next corner as we attempt to hold them back. "Where the hell are they coming from," I shout as I reload my burst gun, "There's so many!"

 

The LT just got off the com and said, "We got enemy VTOLs coming in. Thankfully the enemy's defense and intel systems are down here, it seems that your Ronin friend made it."

 

"Is Slade's group helping now," I ask.

 

"Yep, they are," Weiber said with a smile after another pause to check.

 

"How's it coming," Sasha shouted to Ivan as she took cover.

 

"Almost done, just about a minute more," He said back.

 

He was done in less than a minute and began packing up. As we began to leave, I get shot in th shoulder and calf. I never took a bullet ever in my life in training or anything and the pain when the bullets hit home was excruciating.

 

                "Jack," I heard Sasha scream as I pick myself up a little dazed. I came back to my senses when Nate put my bad arm over his shoulder and Alois got me on the other side. "We got to keep moving," Alois said to us, "Don't crap out on us just yet, Jack."

 

When we finally got out, Bruce is still laying down a base of fire as the squads slowly began pulling out. Only one dead as far as I've seen but a handful of others were wounded. Just as we ran, behind is the place starting to tumble and explode. "What the hell did you do, back there, Ivan," I ask grunting in pain every other word as we ran.

 

"Well, it was either to launch the nukes up into space where our fleet is," He began, "or blow up the detonator which is that facility, you choose."

 

Just as he finishes the sentence, the Death's Door Transport came down and let us all jump in. Inside the transport is a bunch of medics already applying first aid to the wounded as we walked in.  I got some treatment along with the rest of the wounded. The bullet wound on my shoulder was no problem since it went straight through cleanly. The injury in my calf however did require some painkillers to get the bullet out of there with some actual 20th century forceps. I guess I'll be in the space clinic when we get onto the flagship, which happens to be exactly where we're going. The hold pressurized as we climbed higher and soon the O2 recyclers hummed into life as we entered space. Thankfully all space bound ships regularly have artificial gravity and this thing was no exception. "Welcome to the SS Independence," I hear Slade over the com speakers, "My flagship and our main base amongst the stars."

 

Portholes opened to show the giant ship loom into view. It looked like those ships from those old Scifi movies but looks fairly like a space station by the looks of all the activity going around the vessel as well as its overall look. The ship literally looks like those ships from those plastic-wearing imperial clones from one of those movies just adding spires and various chambers making it look more like a mobile city. There's a slight jolt as we reach the landing bay as we are eased in by automatic guides. When the landing closed, the doors shut as the force field that kept the ship from becoming vacuum while the bay was open dissipated as the doors were shut. We all got out on stretchers or on our feet when we can. It seems even Sasha and Nate was injured when I looked closer. Sasha got grazed on her face. She even got a few shots in her thigh. Nate has a few burn wounds on his arms, probably because of their Thermo Ballistic Knives that could burn as they cut. Before I was taken to the clinic, I overheard Ivan talking to the LT and Commander that he found some things as he was hacking so he saved the files before leaving. I wondered what it was before I was put under by a sleep patch on both my shoulders. I was out like a light before I opened my mouth to ask the commander.



© 2014 FuyuSeishin1


Author's Note

FuyuSeishin1
I know it's more battle than troubles in this fictional society but at least admire the action.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on July 12, 2014
Last Updated on July 20, 2014
Tags: Dystopian, War


Author

FuyuSeishin1
FuyuSeishin1

Kenosha, WI



About
Trying to start as a legitimate author while I admit that I do have an account on fanfiction.net. My username there is Fuyu_Seishin12 and I use the same profile picture. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by FuyuSeishin1