Forward

Forward

A Chapter by Xavier McIntosh

Forward


Ardo pulled up to the bay in his s****y pinto with a window busted out and covered with duct tape. He walked up to his homie, “Is it cold to you?” Ardo muttered.

The wind blew with a whistle and the mist from the early morning bay chilled Ardo. He felt sick from a long night of partying. Ardo spent most of his morning puking and taking a cold shower.

“You pale as f**k bro.” Jose said.

Ardo looked down and walked up beside Jose. He leaned against Jose’s pickup truck and lit up a cigarette. The flame from the Zippo lighter was steady, even with the wind. Ardo kept his hand in front of the lighter and lit the cigarette, feeling a little less nauseous as the nicotine rushed to his brain.

“You look fucked up!” Jose chuckled.

“Yup.” Ardo looked at his feet. His head was spinning again. He didn’t feel like talking because he knew today was going to be horrible.

“Ey, we got work today.” Jose said under his breath.

“Yea, I know.” Ardo looked up and blew out smoke. He flicked his cigarette.

“You ever think we could get regular jobs? I mean, this s**t ain’t the only way to get money. It’s kill or be killed, and I guarantee we ain’t gonna live till’ thirty. We got our skills, right? I mean…” Ardo turned to Jose. “You know what I’m sayin’?”

“Well... you know I’m gettin’ mines.” Jose slurred solemnly.

“No, no. You know what? You got kids! You’re like my brother, and I can’t tell your babies that you got killed over this s**t. That’s not fair to me.” Ardo looked at Jose.

“Damn boy, it’s eight in the morning! Gin or forty?” Ardo interegated.

“You got no room to talk, party boy. It’s whatever man... And like I said, we got work. Off the coast some gang got ‘bout eighty kilos.” Jose grinned.

“You serious? That close? How’d they last? The Cartel coulda’ already got ‘em.” Ardo said.

“The Cartel ain’t stupid. They knew the longer this gang produced, the more coke the Cartel would have once they took them over.” Jose responded.

“You got the AK? You ready to hit it?” Jose asked Ardo.

Ardo didn’t respond right away. He gathered his thoughts, and took a deep breath.

“Yo, once we get this coke, get this money, we’re hittin’ the States. I’m done with this. I can’t live with a risk of me gettin’ killed anymore. This is my last day, homie.” Ardo told Jose.

“S**t, man. I don’t know what to say.” Jose said.

“You ain’t gotta say s**t. I’m just sayin’.” Ardo said.

“You do you. that’s all I can say.” Jose responded sadly. He got caught off guard.

“Okay man. F**k. Okay, start up the boat.” Ardo said to break the silence.

“We ain’t gonna make it.” Ardo thought as they were on the trail. It was too late to go back. He knew this was a very bad idea…




© 2014 Xavier McIntosh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on November 26, 2014
Last Updated on November 26, 2014